Any way to disable upscaling? (UE5)

Mark Kaine

I know this seems a weird question and im not sure it fits here. on the other hand im hoping theres an easy solution.

So Tekken 8 forces upscaling,  you can't turn it off, you can choose between a gazillion options (fsr, nis, bicubic, dlss, etc, etc) but you can't turn it off!

but im thinking maybe it's just an ini setting you have to disable or something in the game engine itself? 

(which may or may not be encrypted i guess) 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Config files exist here for the steam game: %LOCALAPPDATA%\TEKKEN 8\Saved\Config\Windows\

Source: https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Tekken_8

I would think "rendering scale" of 100(%) would mean that the upscaling method would basically be disabled because whats the point of running frames through an upscaler at the same exact resolution, but I could be wrong and maybe there's a reason for doing that, or maybe it is an actual oversight in the game's development that there's no way to turn it off.

1 hour ago, NobleGamer said:

would think "rendering scale" of 100(%) would mean that the upscaling method would basically be disabled because whats the point of running frames through an upscaler at the same exact resolution, but I could be wrong and maybe there's a reason for doing that, or maybe it is an actual oversight in the game's development that there's no way to turn it off.

yes, that's kind of the reason why im asking  - the default is 100% render scale, its still using upscaling, which probably means 100% render scale isnt actually your native resolution, or maybe it is and they use upscaling for other purposes  - in some games AA is done through upscaling... i don't know just weird. 

I've turned off film grain and bloom in the ini, and it does look, well, a lot less blurry already now. still curious why its apparently using forced upscaling... i guess I'll just have to hope some modders are going to figure that one out - i could still see that simply turning it off in the game engine or otherwise could be a viable solution  - if someone knows how  

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

48 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

which probably means 100% render scale isnt actually your native resolution, or maybe it is and they use upscaling for other purposes  - in some games AA is done through upscaling... i don't know just weird. 

I know that one utility of upscalers can be to perform AA to a high degree with more FPS than native AA at a comparable level (like 4x or Ultra). But it's weird to see it forced in a game, though I admit I don't get AAA games on the graphical bleeding edge very often, except for whenever there's one I like in a game bundle like Humble.

Is there a proprietary upscale option thst is specific to a GPU that you don't have, like having an AMD card and selecting DLSS that's only for certain NVIDIA card, and maybe that will "disable" it?

2 hours ago, NobleGamer said:

I know that one utility of upscalers can be to perform AA to a high degree with more FPS than native AA at a comparable level (like 4x or Ultra). But it's weird to see it forced in a game, though I admit I don't get AAA games on the graphical bleeding edge very often, except for whenever there's one I like in a game bundle like Humble.

Is there a proprietary upscale option thst is specific to a GPU that you don't have, like having an AMD card and selecting DLSS that's only for certain NVIDIA card, and maybe that will "disable" it?

yup its not unusual, but you usually can just turn it off anyways, and its also strange there's an extra AA setting as well...

20240129_215127.thumb.jpg.4ba334df7460490a94921b76defd166b.jpg

no it doesn't look like i can select anything that's not supported by my 3070 either...

also maybe worth noting with certain upscalers the rendering res is greyed out...

examples, dlss: greyed out,  fsr2: greyed out, taa: not greyed out, fsr1: not greyed out...

its maybe really just something they messed up in the ui, but on the other hand, these settings do "something", especially regarding performance,  and *none* of them seems to work properly 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity