Should I take a Xeon family CPU for my workstation for Architecture?

Hello good folks, 

I wanted to get a pre built pc and someone is suggesting me to get xeon family chipsets for the PC. This is for architecture work and will run softwares like, AutoCAD, Revit, Lumion, SketchUp and maybe a little of photoshop and illustrator. 

Should I go for the xeon chipsets? Or an i9 recent generation will be better. 

Let me know what y'all think. Thank you. 

all depends on your budget, but if you can afford a new xeon, and do purely work, an amd threadripper seems like a better choice, but if not, the get the i9.

2 minutes ago, Utsav8470 said:

I wanted to get a pre built pc and someone is suggesting me to get xeon family chipsets for the PC. This is for architecture work and will run softwares like, AutoCAD, Revit, Lumion, SketchUp and maybe a little of photoshop and illustrator. 

Should I go for the xeon chipsets? Or an i9 recent generation will be better.

Is it a server that will run nearly all the time, doing mission critical work? Or is it more of a workstation that runs 8h a day, spending at least four of those answering e-mails and such?

I would go for a Xeon in the first case and a regular desktop chip in the latter, I would also recommend looking at AMDs performance numbers if you go for "just" a desktop chip (which might be the same thing as the Xeon, just with different microcode and drivers.)

Trans Rights!
Please tag me or use the "reply" function so I get a notification

I will find your Laptop thread and I will recommend an ITX build instead

Sure would be neat if there was something useful here, eh?

17 minutes ago, MiszS said:

all depends on your budget, but if you can afford a new xeon, and do purely work, an amd threadripper seems like a better choice, but if not, the get the i9.

Okay thanks for the advice. It'll be more of a machine used purely for production of renders and drawings. And ran continuously if needed to. 

Do you know if the software you will be using likes more cores at a lower clock speed or less cores with a high clock speed?

If its more cores less speed then Xeon, if its less core more clock speed then look at Xeon W or i9 or AMD threadripper.