Do I have malware on my pc?

Go to solution Solved by YoungBlade,
7 hours ago, HighPingMan7 said:

Thanks for the advice. I did scan with Avast multiple times but it found nothing... I really hope I don't have to wipe my stuff clean.

If you're still having issues, I would advise using Malwarebytes specifically. Avast is a regular anti-virus, designed to be running constantly and detecting issues as they happen. Malwarebytes is an anti-malware tool, designed to be used on an as-needed basis. It does now also have the ability to function as an anti-virus, but that's for the paid version.

Basically, Malwarebytes can detect malware that an anti-virus like Avast or Windows Defender can miss. It's also more prone to false positives, where it thinks something is malware that isn't, but in this case, that's not a bad thing.

This might sound stupid but my PC has been acting weird for a while and I'm concerned.  This will be somewhat of a long one so hang tight.

It started when I tried to reinstall Hamachi in order to play an ancient game (commando) with a friend. I suspect (I'm not fully sure) that it changed my "E" disk's permissions so the disk wouldn't let me edit or view files inside unless I tap on "continue" with the admin icon, everytime. I looked up online and "solved" the issue by creating a new user profile called "Everyone" for the E disk. Still not confident in this "solution" as I struggle to extract files inside this disk. Anyway, today I was playing a cracked version of The Forest (I'm sorry was trying it out for some friends) which the guy somehow managed to bypass steam's verification stuff and enabled multiplayer. Today while playing the game I was on our discord server's VC channel with my pals and discord would randomly start streaming and would repeat that despite me turning it off multiple times. And during one of my repeated efforts of closing the stream, the game wouldn't maximize so I had to force shutdown ny pc (by long pressing the power button). Odd thing was that my Motherboard's LEDs were still on. I have them turned off on my BIOS. I turned off the power fully and turned the power back on and THEN the lights would stay off. I'm really concerned now. Sorry if I sound stupid but can someone PLEASE help me! Am I screwed??

If you believe you have malware on your PC, I would recommend running a scan with Malwarebytes (the free version is totally fine for this).

If this finds nothing, and issues persist, then more drastic measures may need to be taken. Worst case, you'll need to back up your data and reinstall Windows, but I wouldn't jump to that just yet.

If you do need to reinstall Windows, try an inplace upgrade first. That way you keep your data and files and it often does help fix issues. But in future, don't use cracked software if possible and, if you do, always scan them with Malwarebytes and a good antivirus (not Windows Defender). Many of the free antivirus solutions, such as Kaspersky or Avast are just fine.

8 hours ago, YoungBlade said:

If you believe you have malware on your PC, I would recommend running a scan with Malwarebytes (the free version is totally fine for this).

If this finds nothing, and issues persist, then more drastic measures may need to be taken. Worst case, you'll need to back up your data and reinstall Windows, but I wouldn't jump to that just yet.

Thanks for the advice. I did scan with Avast multiple times but it found nothing... I really hope I don't have to wipe my stuff clean.

8 hours ago, MariaA said:

If you do need to reinstall Windows, try an inplace upgrade first. That way you keep your data and files and it often does help fix issues. But in future, don't use cracked software if possible and, if you do, always scan them with Malwarebytes and a good antivirus (not Windows Defender). Many of the free antivirus solutions, such as Kaspersky or Avast are just fine.

I do have Avast on my PC and scanned with it multiple times but found nothing. Man I hope I don't have to reinstall windows... Also what is an "inplace upgrade"? Thanks for the reply!

7 hours ago, HighPingMan7 said:

If you're still having issues, I would advise using Malwarebytes specifically. Avast is a regular anti-virus, designed to be running constantly and detecting issues as they happen. Malwarebytes is an anti-malware tool, designed to be used on an as-needed basis. It does now also have the ability to function as an anti-virus, but that's for the paid version.

Basically, Malwarebytes can detect malware that an anti-virus like Avast or Windows Defender can miss. It's also more prone to false positives, where it thinks something is malware that isn't, but in this case, that's not a bad thing.

34 minutes ago, YoungBlade said:

Yes I did use Malwarebytes today and it detected 8 issues, so I quarentied them. Some of therm were just third party apps/installation executables. It didn't *seem* like something dangerous was up...

3 hours ago, HighPingMan7 said:

Yes I did use Malwarebytes today and it detected 8 issues, so I quarentied them. Some of therm were just third party apps/installation executables. It didn't *seem* like something dangerous was up...

After quarantining those, are you still having issues?

An inplace upgrade is where you reinstall Windows over the top of the existing install. That way you keep all your files and data but it can help fix corrupted system files and settings. You can also run chkdsk /f from an elevated command prompt. Then run sfc /scannow and DISM commands. Look up the order of DISM commands, as you only need to run a couple of them. Then run sfc /scannow again, to be on the safe side. This should also help find and repair any corrupted system files, as well as checking that there are no physical problems with your boot drive. If none of this works, then try updating your BIOS to the latest stable version and see if that helps.

1 hour ago, YoungBlade said:

After quarantining those, are you still having issues?

I haven't observed anything weird yet. Still need to know how to fully fix my issue with the "E" disk's permissions and stuff without having to create a new profile called "Everyone"

1 hour ago, MariaA said:

An inplace upgrade is where you reinstall Windows over the top of the existing install. That way you keep all your files and data but it can help fix corrupted system files and settings. You can also run chkdsk /f from an elevated command prompt. Then run sfc /scannow and DISM commands. Look up the order of DISM commands, as you only need to run a couple of them. Then run sfc /scannow again, to be on the safe side. This should also help find and repair any corrupted system files, as well as checking that there are no physical problems with your boot drive. If none of this works, then try updating your BIOS to the latest stable version and see if that helps.

Wow that's a lot of steps but thank you for being detailed about it. Will try something like this if my PC acts up again!

On 1/23/2024 at 8:38 PM, MariaA said:

You don't know much about antivirus if you think avast and kaspersky are actually good programs , I think Windows Defender has more definitions than both of them put together.

They where good in 2010 maybe...

CPU : Ryzen 7 7800X3D @ -18mv all core except -13mv on Core 5 because its a pig.

CPU Cooler : Deepcool AK620 Zero Dark

Mobo : MSI B650M-A Wifi MATX

Ram : 32GB (2X16GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000MHZ CL34

GPU : Reference Design RX7900XT sold by Saphire running at 1050MV undervolt and +15% PL (355w)

Storage : 1TB WD SN770 + 2TB Samsung 970 Evo

PSU : Corsair HX750w Platinum

Case : Asus Prime AP201 All Mesh MATX

Case Fans : Arctic p12's everywhere i can fit them in , 7 In total.

Monitor : LG 27GP850-B.BEK 1440p Nano IPS 180Hz

Keyboard : HyperX Alloy Core RGB

Mouse : Corsair M65 Elite RGB

Headset : Corsair HS35 Gaming Headset

• 2 months later...
On 1/24/2024 at 5:24 PM, Bagzie said:

You don't know much about antivirus if you think avast and kaspersky are actually good programs , I think Windows Defender has more definitions than both of them put together.

Dang bruh, harsh... especially w/o providing any information to back up such a claim.  Things that would make your assertion more useful would perhaps include 'why you think what you think about WD, Avast, Kasp...', 'Where novice users can go to get the same education/info that's helped you learn what you believe about it', & basically 'ANYthing useful toward the OP's issue'.  As it is, it sounds like you're just saying Windows already has good enough security, which contradicts what I've been hearing for years within the tech security field. (shrugs)
  I'm reading this thread because I'm looking into antivirus software again since I understand that relying on just 1 piece of software for security goes against the CORE rule of security: The strength of any good security system is ALL in the layers thereof.  There is NO good security system with only 1 or a couple layers to it.  This principle holds true for security ANYwhere, be it software, hardware, physical security, you name it.  So, I've already downloaded & installed AVG(used it years ago & got tired of paying their subscription fees) & I hear Malwarebytes is a good one to have along with others (So yea, you typically want one Primary Antivirus Software that's running your Real-Time[RT] Protections & such, AS WELL AS a bunch of others that are ONLY installed for running scans.  If you have more than one running your RT Protections, you'll most likely run into serious problems due to the two conflicting), but could we get others weighing in on good AntiVirus software to install?  Seems there's SO many results when searching the net for Best Antivirus Software, to the point it's hard to trust ANY of them. 🤔

(I didn't find a thread for this already, but if a mod or someone knows of one I missed, plz direct me there or, if appropriate, move this post to that thread. thx!)

1 hour ago, Mr.Nelf said:

Dang bruh, harsh... especially w/o providing any information to back up such a claim.  Things that would make your assertion more useful would perhaps include 'why you think what you think about WD, Avast, Kasp...', 'Where novice users can go to get the same education/info that's helped you learn what you believe about it', & basically 'ANYthing useful toward the OP's issue'.  As it is, it sounds like you're just saying Windows already has good enough security, which contradicts what I've been hearing for years within the tech security field. (shrugs)
  I'm reading this thread because I'm looking into antivirus software again since I understand that relying on just 1 piece of software for security goes against the CORE rule of security: The strength of any good security system is ALL in the layers thereof.  There is NO good security system with only 1 or a couple layers to it.  This principle holds true for security ANYwhere, be it software, hardware, physical security, you name it.  So, I've already downloaded & installed AVG(used it years ago & got tired of paying their subscription fees) & I hear Malwarebytes is a good one to have along with others (So yea, you typically want one Primary Antivirus Software that's running your Real-Time[RT] Protections & such, AS WELL AS a bunch of others that are ONLY installed for running scans.  If you have more than one running your RT Protections, you'll most likely run into serious problems due to the two conflicting), but could we get others weighing in on good AntiVirus software to install?  Seems there's SO many results when searching the net for Best Antivirus Software, to the point it's hard to trust ANY of them. 🤔

(I didn't find a thread for this already, but if a mod or someone knows of one I missed, plz direct me there or, if appropriate, move this post to that thread. thx!)

Maybe if you read on to my follow up post on thia thread you would see my reasons for it.

CPU : Ryzen 7 7800X3D @ -18mv all core except -13mv on Core 5 because its a pig.

GPU : Reference Design RX7900XT sold by Saphire running at 1050MV undervolt and +15% PL (355w)

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Bagzie said:

Maybe if you read on to my follow up post on thia thread you would see my reasons for it.

Hmmmm, & where would I find that? The only posts I see in this thread(thread being what the OP started here, ya?) by you are the one I replied to & then the one I'm replying to now. 🥴  I took a look @ yur profile but it doesn't show yur activity that far back.  D'you have a link?  My apologies for still lacking full understanding of this forum & its structure.  I still feel pretty new here.
  Also, do you have any suggestions for good AntiVirus Software?  I just tried Bitdefender & it wouldn't even allow me to finish the installation of their free AV Scanner unless I UNinstalled AVG, saying that it works best on systems with NO other such software thereon(which is LUNACY to me!). ... so either I'm dropping that one like a newborn giraffe, or maybe I'll let it uninstall AVG & then add it back after Bitdefender is installed in passive mode.(which is a mode AVG has to play nice w/ other such software, so it kinda blows my mind that Bitdefender has people getting rid of the other layers of security they've had previously installed!)

Edit: had to drop Bitdefender entirely as they won't even let you use their FREE scanner without an account set up! WTF?!  I've never come across that before & it seems absolutely ASININE!🤯

Edited by Mr.Nelf

2 hours ago, Mr.Nelf said:

Hmmmm, & where would I find that? The only posts I see in this thread(thread being what the OP started here, ya?) by you are the one I replied to & then the one I'm replying to now. 🥴  I took a look @ yur profile but it doesn't show yur activity that far back.  D'you have a link?  My apologies for still lacking full understanding of this forum & its structure.  I still feel pretty new here.
  Also, do you have any suggestions for good AntiVirus Software?  I just tried Bitdefender & it wouldn't even allow me to finish the installation of their free AV Scanner unless I UNinstalled AVG, saying that it works best on systems with NO other such software thereon(which is LUNACY to me!). ... so either I'm dropping that one like a newborn giraffe, or maybe I'll let it uninstall AVG & then add it back after Bitdefender is installed in passive mode.(which is a mode AVG has to play nice w/ other such software, so it kinda blows my mind that Bitdefender has people getting rid of the other layers of security they've had previously installed!)

Here's a recent Chris Titus Tech video that gives a quick overview of the current state of anti-virus software.

On 1/24/2024 at 11:54 AM, HighPingMan7 said:

Wow that's a lot of steps but thank you for being detailed about it. Will try something like this if my PC acts up again!

That user is actually correct. I’d go that route myself before bothering with an in place upgrade, let alone Microsoft’s “roll back”. Some people have better luck but I have my own reservations…

I also noticed a lot of people posting about scanning and such but forget to mention doing so under safe mode. Running a scan in safe mode is hands down the most reliable way to “seek and destroy”. Simply hold shift, hit shutdown, restart. You can release shift after that

youll get a menu shortly after, hit advanced, then (I forget) the option that says stuff about command line, unsigned drivers yada yada

once it reboots hit the number corresponding to safe mode without networking. U can do it with, but I go without simply to eliminate variables.

after it boots up do a “deep scan”. Depending on ur pc it may take half an hour, may take a few. It’s also advised to scan everything, even that E drive

After it’s done go into taskman, click startup tab and disable anything that isn’t absolutely necessary. I don’t even let iTunes helper boot up let alone defender.

Then pop open the run thing (win+r) and type in msconfig. This handy guy shows everything *else* taskman don’t. 
repeat the above

back to win+r type in services.msc

this is a list of SERVICES that boot with your pc. Careful here as disabling some stuff will give you issues (under a regular windows session) but if that happens, just do the same and re-enable it.

Anywho an easy way to shuffle through all this junk is up to you. U can filter by manufacturer (Microsoft services) or their current state. That is, enabled, delayed startup, or disabled.

without using any antivirus I’ve resolved plenty of adverse issues with this method. Plus if your in safe mode (I’m not on my pc ATM) still u can right click on the service and hit “goto file location”. Could have that mixed up with taskman or msconfig

anyway advantage here is file explorer will pop up and bam, there’s a file. But wait, it’s in a strange location. Say c:\users\JSmith\appdata\long-string-of-nonsense\
ive discovered many variants of malware hiding in %appdata% - after all, windows defender among others typically don’t scan here. *typically*
disable or delete and move on

reboot as usual and things should be fixed, plus much more snappy. 
while this last part isn’t required i do recommend it since your booting normally

go into taskman again, the first tab shows the processes running. Look for anything weird. Maybe an app running you don’t recognize. Maybe an app with a really weird name. Heck, possibly one using a crazy amount of RAM/CPU, sometimes these strange apps will also fluctuate randomly with resources. Say idk .1% load to 20% then to 5% and back to 30%. Ram included. Strange….

right click on it, open file location. Again, if it’s unrecognized (idk \program files\SomethingIveNeverInstalled\blah blah) attempt to just delete it presuming you’ve done “end task” first. Can’t delete what’s actively running

if it won’t let you, copy the location (control+c) to a text file. Idk make a new one on your desktop, whatever. Paste it (control+v) then go back into safe mode, open the location saved previously and then delete it. Shouldn’t be an issue

far as the E drive suddenly requiring you to have read/write permissions or whatever, no need to make another user. This happens to me all the time, especially when accessing my servers drives from a different machine. here’s an easy fix PRESUMING you don’t have ADDS / a domain setup. If you don’t know what that means, this will do fine:
right click on the drive

security

”to change permissions click edit” hit edit, if UAC prompts you just say it’s alright

(tip: you can disable UAC, hit start and type UAC [enter] it’ll prompt, ok, then move that annoying slider to leave me the bleep alone)

hit add

a box will pop up, select users or groups

Since we dono who or where “you” are, hit advanced

another box, hit find now (don’t mess with anything else)

the empty area will populate with a bunch of users.  Find yours, idk “Bob” or “Kathy”, might even be administrator?  (Hold control to select multiple at a time should you desire)

ok, ok, ok, ok, till u get back to the securities thing where we started

youll see the user(s) you added here

select one, and depending on the permissions you set it’ll do so. Read only for Bob? Or read/write/execute for Bob?

Hit apply

migjt get another dialogue, apply to all folders and subfolders?

yes

dependjng on how much stuff is on there it may take a little bit.

more often than not that’ll solve it. If not you’ll have to do “advanced” and mess with the ownership stuff. Seldom do I need to mess with that but for sake of the article, YouTube object permissions - I know against forum policy to say “go google it”. But it is indeed advanced, proceed with caution on that one lol

All that may seem like a lot of work but you’ll get used to it the more times you do it. It’s taken me an hour to type this up on my iPhone but I can do all that junk in under 10 minutes minus loading times

ALSO you can do chkdsk and other cmd stuff that person mentioned in safe mode WITH command prompt (u have to select it on boot). I’d advise doing so

best of luck, feel free to direct msg me if need be

~cybersecurity pro, 10+ years experience

On 4/2/2024 at 4:53 AM, Mr.Nelf said:

Would highly recommend against kapersky. They left behind some suspicious files in the root of my drives after uninstalling. Amongst various other reasons.

This channel is a good resource for anti viruses, also AV test is good to check.

On 1/24/2024 at 8:24 PM, Bagzie said:

No need to be hostile, it's a forum post.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/4/2024 at 1:16 PM, StarsMars said:

Would highly recommend against kapersky. They left behind some suspicious files in the root of my drives after uninstalling. Amongst various other reasons.

This channel is a good resource for anti viruses, also AV test is good to check.

No need to be hostile, it's a forum post.

Why are you replying to comments made 3 months ago?