Windows 11 Home S mode printer installation loop

I just tried to install a printer for my elderly next door neighbour's new laptop. I kept trying to install the downloaded drivers and it would not work. Microsoft would constantly point me to their app store. I would download the canon app from the app store and it would want me to download the drivers and install which would send me back to the app store. It would say I need to change my settings but not link me to where I can change them.  It was not until I checked to verify the version of windows that was on the machine that I saw Windows 11  S mode. A google search later and I found out how to change it out of S mode but it had a huge warning about leaving S mode as if you would be letting hackers into your computer. Once S mode was disabled I could install the printer. It is like Microsoft is trying to be like Apple and forcing people to use Microsoft approved apps. 

Edited by Masterjack
spelling

Yes, S mode forces you to use the Microsoft Store. Usually it is used on computers that have specs so poor they don't want it running the full Windows... manufactured e-waste.

2 minutes ago, Masterjack said:

It is like Microsoft is trying to be like Apple and forcing people to use Microsoft approved apps. 

That's exactly what S mode is. It's fantastic for those who are completely computer illiterate and for kids, but useless for much else. 

Luckly, it's fairly easy to get out of S mode and doesn't cost anything. 

ask me about my homelab

on a personal quest convincing the general public to return to the glory that is 12" laptops.

cheap and easy cable management is my fetish.

59 minutes ago, Masterjack said:

It is like Microsoft is trying to be like Apple and forcing people to use Microsoft approved apps. 

Except the opposite.  It's only for people who don't want to pay for Home or Pro.

3 hours ago, Erioch said:

Except the opposite.  It's only for people who don't want to pay for Home or Pro.

Windows S is Windows Home, just locked down. It's a particular mode of Homs. There is no cost difference to the consumer, although it's most often preset on lower cost devices.

ask me about my homelab

on a personal quest convincing the general public to return to the glory that is 12" laptops.

cheap and easy cable management is my fetish.