Suggestions for Indie/Retro games - My GPU is out of commission for a few weeks

DeerDK

Hi everybody

Since my 4070 is in RMA and I am looking at a 2 week wait (+ the week that has already passed) im limited to game on my vivobook that has integrated graphics.

The last couple of days i've made do with rediscovering Heroes of might and magic 3, but I could probably go with a few more games for variations sake.

I have Crusader Kings 2 and Baldur's Gate 2 in my steam library, but im open for suggestions.

Especially Grand Strategy games or some indie pearls. They need to be able to run on a potato (Asus VivoBook 14 X413 i3/8/256 14" - i3-1005G1 cpu with integrated graphics and 8 gb DDR4 ram).

Thanks in advance.

mITX is awesome! I regret nothing (apart from when picking parts or have to do maintainance *cough*cough*)

15 minutes ago, DeerDK said:

Hi everybody

Since my 4070 is in RMA and I am looking at a 2 week wait (+ the week that has already passed) im limited to game on my thin-book that has integrated graphics.

The last couple of days i've made do with rediscovering Heroes of might and magic 3, but I could probably go with a few more games for variations sake.

I have Crusader Kings 2 and Baldur's Gate 2 in my steam library, but im open for suggestions.

Especially Grand Strategy games or some indie pearls. They need to be able to run on a potato (Asus VivoBook 14 X413 i3/8/256 14" - i3-1005G1 cpu with integrated graphics and 8 gb DDR4 ram).

Thanks in advance.

Defintely ''Valiant Hearts: The Great War''  It might not look too fancy but oh my.. what a journey.

3 minutes ago, Hinjima said:

Defintely ''Valiant Hearts: The Great War''  It might not look too fancy but oh my.. what a journey.

Oh, it's that ww1 game? I think ZP did a rather positive review. 

Its on the list now

mITX is awesome! I regret nothing (apart from when picking parts or have to do maintainance *cough*cough*)

4 minutes ago, DeerDK said:

Oh, it's that ww1 game? I think ZP did a rather positive review. 

Its on the list now

Sure is.  Its one of just a few games that actually made me emotional while playing.

In my top 10 games since I started gaming in 1998

Half-Life 1 and 2 should run quite smoothly on integrated graphics to.

Some that come to mind are Mindustry, Travellers Rest, World's End Diner.

I edit my posts more often than not

2 minutes ago, Hinjima said:

Sure is.  Its one of just a few games that actually made me emotional while playing.

In my top 10 games since I started gaming in 1998

Half-Life 1 and 2 should run quite smoothly on integrated graphics to.

Uhh, good point. Maybe its time for revisiting HL. Im not sure i can go to Ravenholm anymore, though.

3 minutes ago, Tan3l6 said:

Nice, thanks, i'll check them out

23 minutes ago, Tan3l6 said:

Is Stardew Vally good?

Just now, DeerDK said:

Is Stardew Vally good?

I suppose, somewhat. More popular than any one that I mentioned.

I edit my posts more often than not

1 minute ago, Tan3l6 said:

I suppose, somewhat. More popular than any one that I mentioned.

okay 🙂 I looked up World's end Diner and somhow SV sprung to my mind. WeD and especially Traveller's rest looks good too 🙂

1 minute ago, Needfuldoer said:

FTL: Faster Than Light is a good turn-based strategy game if you like BSG/Trek-ish sci-fi scenarios.

Love that game. I forgot to mention that its already my labtop in the couch game xD

My bad.

The game I am currently playing on OpenBSD seems suitable for such weak hardware.

The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind on OpenBSD

spacer.png

spacer.png

OS: FreeBSD 13.3  WM: bspwm  Hardware: Intel 12600KF -- Kingston dual-channel CL36 @6200 -- Sapphire RX 7600 -- BIOSTAR B760MZ-E PRO -- Antec P6 -- Xilence XP550 -- ARCTIC i35 -- EVO 850 500GB

5 minutes ago, The Hope said:

The game I am currently playing on OpenBSD seems suitable for such weak hardware.

The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind on OpenBSD

spacer.png

spacer.png

I friggin love Morrowind. Still have the cd-rom and the whole box, including map and booklet. 

And my wife has a external drive... 

Hmm. 

On the other hand: Cliff razers 🤣

On 1/23/2024 at 4:26 AM, DeerDK said:

Is Stardew Vally good?

its good but gets grindy and to complete it you most likely need a guide. but its good to a point.

it has flaws thow like so bad you want to get mods to fix em or use cheats...like buying lots from a store...lots of clicking... for no reason.

Edited by thrasher_565

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

My desktop is coming up to 3 years old. I went without a GPU for the 1st year as they were basically impossible to find at the time.

I found that dialling back to medium settings on 1080p or sometimes 720p would make most games from 2012 or earlier work on the iGPU in my 10700K - which has higher boost clocks but it looks comparable to what you have at the moment.

Old F1 games were fine and if Real Time Strategy is of interest then I can't recommend Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance enough. I now run it on a 3060 - and because it remains CPU heavy there's little difference in the GPU side of things so you may get reasonable performance if you want to try something a bit different.

Naturally YMMV - some games just didn't work on the iGPU at all despite not being that heavy on my 3060 - I assume because they weren't designed for Intel GPUs.

US Gaming Rig (April 2021): Win 11Pro/10 Pro, Thermaltake Core V21, Intel Core i7 10700K with XMP2/MCE enabled, 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB DDR4 @3,600MHz, Asus Z490-G (Wi-Fi), SK Hynix nvme SSDs (1x 2TB P41, 1x 500GB P31) SSDs, 1x WD 4TB SATA SSD, 1x16TB Seagate HDD, Asus Dual RTX 3060 V2 OC, Seasonic Focus PX-750, LG 27GN800-B monitor. Logitech Z533 speakers, Xbox Stereo & Wireless headsets, Logitech G213 keyboard, G703 mouse with Powerplay

UK HTPC #2 (April 2022) Win 11 Pro, Silverstone ML08, (with SST-FPS01 front panel adapter), Intel Core i5 10400, 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3,600MHz, Asus B560-I, SK Hynix P31 (500GB) nvme boot SSD, 1x 5TB Seagate 2.5" HDD, Drobo S with 5x4TB HDDs, Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD TV Tuner, Silverstone SST-SX500-LG v2.1 SFX PSU, LG 42LW550T TV. Philips HTL5120 soundbar, Logitech K400.

US HTPC (planning 2024): Win 11 Pro, Streacom DB4, Intel Core i5 13600T, RAM TBC (32GB), AsRock Z690-itx/ax, SK Hynix P41 Platinum 1TB, Streacom ZF240 PSU, LG TV, Logitech K400.

US NAS (planning): tbc

UK Gaming Rig #2 (May 2013, offline 2020): Win 10 Pro/Win 8.1 Pro with MCE, Antec 1200 v3, Intel Core i5 4670K @4.2GHz, 4x4GB Corsair DDR3 @1,600MHz, Asus Z87-DELUXE/Dual, Samsung 840 Evo 1TB boot SSD, 1TB & 500GB sata m.2 SSDs (and 6 HDDs for 28TB total in a Storage Space), no dGPU, Seasonic SS-660XP2, Dell U2410 monitor. Dell AY511 soundbar, Sennheiser HD205, Saitek Eclipse II keyboard, Roccat Kone XTD mouse.

UK Gaming Rig #1 (Feb 2008, last rebuilt 2013, offline 2020): Win 7 Ultimate (64bit)/Win Vista Ultimate (32bit)/Win XP Pro (32bit), Coolermaster Elite 335U, Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 @3.6GHz, 4x2GB Corsair DDR3 @1,600MHz, Asus P5E3 Deluxe/WiFi-Ap@n, 2x 1TB & 2x 500GB 2.5" HDDs (1 for each OS & 1 for Win7 data), NVidia GTX 750, CoolerMaster Real Power M620 PSU, shared I/O with gaming rig #2 via KVM.

UK HTPC #1 (June 2010, rebuilt 2012/13, offline 2022) Win 7 Home Premium, Antec Fusion Black, Intel Core i3 3220T, 4x2GB OCZ DDR3 @1,600MHz, Gigabyte H77M-D3H, OCZ Agility3 120GB boot SSD, 1x1TB 2.5" HDD, Blackgold 3620 TV Tuner, Seasonic SS-400FL2 Fanless PSU, Logitech MX Air, Origen RC197.

Laptop: 2015 HP Spectre x360, i7 6500U, 8GB Ram, 512GB m.2 Sata SSD.

Tablet: Surface Go 128GB/8GB.

Mini PC: Intel Compute Stick (m3)

On 1/28/2024 at 5:43 AM, thewelshbrummie said:

My desktop is coming up to 3 years old. I went without a GPU for the 1st year as they were basically impossible to find at the time.

I found that dialling back to medium settings on 1080p or sometimes 720p would make most games from 2012 or earlier work on the iGPU in my 10700K - which has higher boost clocks but it looks comparable to what you have at the moment.

Old F1 games were fine and if Real Time Strategy is of interest then I can't recommend Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance enough. I now run it on a 3060 - and because it remains CPU heavy there's little difference in the GPU side of things so you may get reasonable performance if you want to try something a bit different.

Naturally YMMV - some games just didn't work on the iGPU at all despite not being that heavy on my 3060 - I assume because they weren't designed for Intel GPUs.

the issue is, that my PC doesn't have an iGPU, so its dead in the water, and my vivobook is not powerfull at all. Its a 10th gen i3 dual core. 

I guess it could run some of the games you mention, but im not sure.

Surpreme Commander has been on my radar for ages - I loved Total Annihilation back in the days so that may be worth checking out.

Apart from that I have taken up the challenge to play some of the indie pixel titles in my back catalogue ^^

21 hours ago, DeerDK said:

the issue is, that my PC doesn't have an iGPU, so its dead in the water, and my vivobook is not powerfull at all. Its a 10th gen i3 dual core. 

I guess it could run some of the games you mention, but im not sure.

Surpreme Commander has been on my radar for ages - I loved Total Annihilation back in the days so that may be worth checking out.

Apart from that I have taken up the challenge to play some of the indie pixel titles in my back catalogue ^^

I was talking about the Vivobook - the Intel Ark listing for the CPU.

It clearly lists GPU specs. It is dual core and I was using a 10700K so the CPU performance isn't comparable. My point is that the iGPUs appear to be of similar performance and definitely age so you may get good results from games of 2010 and earlier as the CPU in my rig wasn't being pushed at all in those games. I suppose YMMV in terms of the Core i3 in the Vivobook but unless you're on a data cap of some kind it's worth trying some games out as I suspect you'll be surprised by what is actually playable.

As for Supreme Commander:FA it's definitely worth a look - but wait until it's on sale. It's usually $12.99 but there were 5 sales last year where it dropped to $2.59 (and another 5 in 2022) so I'd obviously wait for one of those.

Also can't recommend the game without suggesting Forged Alliance Forever. It's the biggest community project to keep online multiplayer available and is free to use.

US Gaming Rig (April 2021): Win 11Pro/10 Pro, Thermaltake Core V21, Intel Core i7 10700K with XMP2/MCE enabled, 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB DDR4 @3,600MHz, Asus Z490-G (Wi-Fi), SK Hynix nvme SSDs (1x 2TB P41, 1x 500GB P31) SSDs, 1x WD 4TB SATA SSD, 1x16TB Seagate HDD, Asus Dual RTX 3060 V2 OC, Seasonic Focus PX-750, LG 27GN800-B monitor. Logitech Z533 speakers, Xbox Stereo & Wireless headsets, Logitech G213 keyboard, G703 mouse with Powerplay

UK HTPC #2 (April 2022) Win 11 Pro, Silverstone ML08, (with SST-FPS01 front panel adapter), Intel Core i5 10400, 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3,600MHz, Asus B560-I, SK Hynix P31 (500GB) nvme boot SSD, 1x 5TB Seagate 2.5" HDD, Drobo S with 5x4TB HDDs, Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD TV Tuner, Silverstone SST-SX500-LG v2.1 SFX PSU, LG 42LW550T TV. Philips HTL5120 soundbar, Logitech K400.

US HTPC (planning 2024): Win 11 Pro, Streacom DB4, Intel Core i5 13600T, RAM TBC (32GB), AsRock Z690-itx/ax, SK Hynix P41 Platinum 1TB, Streacom ZF240 PSU, LG TV, Logitech K400.

US NAS (planning): tbc

UK Gaming Rig #2 (May 2013, offline 2020): Win 10 Pro/Win 8.1 Pro with MCE, Antec 1200 v3, Intel Core i5 4670K @4.2GHz, 4x4GB Corsair DDR3 @1,600MHz, Asus Z87-DELUXE/Dual, Samsung 840 Evo 1TB boot SSD, 1TB & 500GB sata m.2 SSDs (and 6 HDDs for 28TB total in a Storage Space), no dGPU, Seasonic SS-660XP2, Dell U2410 monitor. Dell AY511 soundbar, Sennheiser HD205, Saitek Eclipse II keyboard, Roccat Kone XTD mouse.

UK Gaming Rig #1 (Feb 2008, last rebuilt 2013, offline 2020): Win 7 Ultimate (64bit)/Win Vista Ultimate (32bit)/Win XP Pro (32bit), Coolermaster Elite 335U, Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 @3.6GHz, 4x2GB Corsair DDR3 @1,600MHz, Asus P5E3 Deluxe/WiFi-Ap@n, 2x 1TB & 2x 500GB 2.5" HDDs (1 for each OS & 1 for Win7 data), NVidia GTX 750, CoolerMaster Real Power M620 PSU, shared I/O with gaming rig #2 via KVM.

UK HTPC #1 (June 2010, rebuilt 2012/13, offline 2022) Win 7 Home Premium, Antec Fusion Black, Intel Core i3 3220T, 4x2GB OCZ DDR3 @1,600MHz, Gigabyte H77M-D3H, OCZ Agility3 120GB boot SSD, 1x1TB 2.5" HDD, Blackgold 3620 TV Tuner, Seasonic SS-400FL2 Fanless PSU, Logitech MX Air, Origen RC197.

Laptop: 2015 HP Spectre x360, i7 6500U, 8GB Ram, 512GB m.2 Sata SSD.

Tablet: Surface Go 128GB/8GB.

Mini PC: Intel Compute Stick (m3)

3 hours ago, thewelshbrummie said:

My point is that the iGPUs appear to be of similar performance and definitely age so you may get good results from games of 2010 and earlier as the CPU in my rig wasn't being pushed at all in those games. I suppose YMMV in terms of the Core i3 in the Vivobook but unless you're on a data cap of some kind it's worth trying some games out as I suspect you'll be surprised by what is actually playable.

Oh, i definetly think you are right here. There are some really good games from that period and hardware has come a long way.

I guess im just in denial because i won't admit how long time ago 2010 is 😅

3 hours ago, thewelshbrummie said:

As for Supreme Commander:FA it's definitely worth a look - but wait until it's on sale. It's usually $12.99 but there were 5 sales last year where it dropped to $2.59 (and another 5 in 2022) so I'd obviously wait for one of those.

Also can't recommend the game without suggesting Forged Alliance Forever. It's the biggest community project to keep online multiplayer available and is free to use.

Hmm, im a bit torn. On one hand, ive wanted to try Surpreme Commander since it came out, but on the other hand I fear getting mulched in online multiplayer RTS. I tend to panic when too much is going on on the same time. I really enjoy grand strategy games and 4x, but all of them gives me time to look over data and make well informed decisions, while when i play CoH i get stressed out and forget 4 platoons and a tankdestroyer somewhere on the map

Indie: Hyper Light Drifter. Fun but challenging pixel art slasher, plays best with a controller.

Retro: C&C Tiberian Sun, a classic RTS. Now freeware.

Noelle best girl

PC specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Deepcool GAMMAXX 400 V2 64.5 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: ASRock B450M Steel Legend Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard, BIOS P4.60
Memory: ADATA XPG 32GB GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory
Storage: HP EX900 500 GB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive, PNY CS900 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Video Card: Colorful iGame RTX 4060 Ti 16GB
Power Supply: Cooler Master MWE Bronze V2 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN881ND 802.11a/b/g/n PCIe x1 Wifi adapter
Monitor: Acer QG240Y S3 24.0" 1920 x 1080 180Hz Monitor

17 minutes ago, emothxughts said:

Retro: C&C Tiberian Sun, a classic RTS. Now freeware.

WHAT!?! WHERE!?!!? Gimme gimme gimme.

That game was my favorite for years! Tried Tiberian dusk/war. Didn't grip me the same way. Or im just getting too old for RTS

2 hours ago, DeerDK said:

WHAT!?! WHERE!?!!? Gimme gimme gimme.

That game was my favorite for years! Tried Tiberian dusk/war. Didn't grip me the same way. Or im just getting too old for RTS

Here ye go: https://cncnet.org/tiberian-sun

Noelle best girl

PC specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Deepcool GAMMAXX 400 V2 64.5 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: ASRock B450M Steel Legend Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard, BIOS P4.60
Memory: ADATA XPG 32GB GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory
Storage: HP EX900 500 GB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive, PNY CS900 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Video Card: Colorful iGame RTX 4060 Ti 16GB
Power Supply: Cooler Master MWE Bronze V2 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN881ND 802.11a/b/g/n PCIe x1 Wifi adapter
Monitor: Acer QG240Y S3 24.0" 1920 x 1080 180Hz Monitor