CPU keeps slowing down to .79 GHz When I open League of Legends

Go to solution Solved by unclewebb,

@TastyPastires

Perfect. 

The main screen of ThrottleStop shows a POWER limit throttling problem. When you look in the TPL window, some dumb program has set both turbo power limits to 0. Your original screenshots showed that they were set to unlimited, 4095W. 

Did you delete all MSI software yet?

To use ThrottleStop to fix this in the TPL window clear the Disable Controls box. Set both PL1 and PL2 to 4095. Press Apply. Check the Lock box in this section. This prevents other software from changing the turbo power limits. You need to reboot to unlock the power limit control register.

Once this is locked, you can exit ThrottleStop if you want. I usually leave it running. If you do exit ThrottleStop, you will need to run it each time you start or resume from sleep.

The reason this bug happens is because the largest value the power limit register can hold is 4095.875. Someone rounded that off to 4096. That causes the register to over load and wrap around back to 0. Idiots!! This bug has been around for years. 

Use the Windows High Performance power plan when playing games to minimize latency. Turn the Log File option on while playing a game. When done testing, attach a log file to your next post. It will be in the ThrottleStop  / Logs folder.

Whenever I launch League of Legends my CPU dies. No other game does this to my compter. 

I have tried many things to try fixing this issue. I completly re-instaled the game, have made sure all my drivers are up to date, and updated my bios for my motherboard. I have been having this issue for a while and gave up on fixing it (and Leauge of Legends) for a while. 

Yesterday I undated my motherboard bios and it worked. played serveral games, and nothing was going wrong. Tried playing today and I am having the same issues again. 

The weirdest thing about this issue in my opinion is that the problem starts before I even start a game. The issues happens while im in the client. After about a minute of the client being open my CPU freaks out. After I close the client my computer goes back to normal. I have found that if I close the client in the backgroup after I start a game this can fix my issues sometimes. Closing the client doesn't always work and is annoying.

If anyone has any solutions I would greatly appreciate it.

Sorry, forget to post my specs

Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9900K CPU @ 3.60GHz
Motherboard    ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING
Graphics Card    GeForce RTX 2080 Ti GAMING Z TRIO (MSI)

Ram    64 GB of ram (ddr4 I believe)

@TastyPastires

Run ThrottleStop 9.6 and post screenshots including the FIVR and TPL windows when your CPU is stuck in slow mode. This is a common problem with some game clients.

Some dumb programmers do not understand Intel CPUs. Delete any MSI control software. 

15 minutes ago, unclewebb said:

@TastyPastires

Run ThrottleStop 9.6 and post screenshots including the FIVR and TPL windows when your CPU is stuck in slow mode. This is a common problem with some game clients.

Some dumb programmers do not understand Intel CPUs. Delete any MSI control software. 

Is this what you were looking for?

Also I could run it when the client is open.

Screenshot 2024-01-22 184543.png

Screenshot 2024-01-22 184645.png

Screenshot 2024-01-22 184716.png

Screenshot 2024-01-22 184906.png

@TastyPastires

No need to run the TS Bench test.

I need to see the ThrottleStop screenshots while your CPU is stuck at its minimum speed. Your CPU is not throttling in the screenshots you posted.

8 minutes ago, unclewebb said:

@TastyPastires

No need to run the TS Bench test.

I need to see the ThrottleStop screenshots while your CPU is stuck at its minimum speed. Your CPU is not throttling in the screenshots you posted.

Here they are. ScreenshotlagTS.png.a799c62a3705da4caf37aca30df738c8.pngScreenshotlagfivr.png.65d5d73d0f213462c3235afa342cfda0.pngScreenshotlagpowelimit.png.2401c72df7814970dff67f31b011db1b.png

@TastyPastires

Perfect. 

The main screen of ThrottleStop shows a POWER limit throttling problem. When you look in the TPL window, some dumb program has set both turbo power limits to 0. Your original screenshots showed that they were set to unlimited, 4095W. 

Did you delete all MSI software yet?

To use ThrottleStop to fix this in the TPL window clear the Disable Controls box. Set both PL1 and PL2 to 4095. Press Apply. Check the Lock box in this section. This prevents other software from changing the turbo power limits. You need to reboot to unlock the power limit control register.

Once this is locked, you can exit ThrottleStop if you want. I usually leave it running. If you do exit ThrottleStop, you will need to run it each time you start or resume from sleep.

The reason this bug happens is because the largest value the power limit register can hold is 4095.875. Someone rounded that off to 4096. That causes the register to over load and wrap around back to 0. Idiots!! This bug has been around for years. 

Use the Windows High Performance power plan when playing games to minimize latency. Turn the Log File option on while playing a game. When done testing, attach a log file to your next post. It will be in the ThrottleStop  / Logs folder.

@TastyPastires

You have an unlocked CPU. If you want it to run it a little faster, press the All Core 50 button in the FIVR window. This should set all of the Turbo Ratios to 50.

Also check the Overclock box in the FIVR window.

In the TPL window check the Speed Shift box. That should get you a few more MHz. These Intel CPUs work well after a mild overclock. 

19 minutes ago, TastyPastires said:

I have deleted all MSI software.

A wise choice.