The 12v rail is only getting 8v at max. This started probably with the surge last week; got a new PSU today but the problem still exists.

Go to solution Solved by seon123,

With 8V, the PC just wouldn't boot, and any half decent PSU would trigger its under voltage protection. The PC is booting, and you're getting the same voltage reading with the new PSU, which is what you'd expect with a faulty motherboard sensor. 

Asus anti surge is just useless, don't take it to mean anything. 

Last week my desktop with Z170Pro Gaming mobo shut down and since then I've been in a loop of press f1 > bios > f10 > {computer shuts and restarts by itself} > anti-surge screen. 

Before this I didn't bother to notice how much volt this rail was getting (because who goes to the BIOS daily?). But after the surge I asked around and friends suggested getting a new PSU. 

Setup the new PSU today. But the volt still is 8v max. 

What could be the issue? 

smupytosm0ec1.jpeg

Either you got a connector wrong twice.

Or your motherboard is faulty.

You got the same psu and kept the cables ?

I'm willing to swim against the current.

Can you test the PSU ?

But if a new one gives that results I'd think the board is dead and is unable to regulate power

System : AMD R9  7950X3D CPU/ Asus ROG STRIX X670E-E board/ 2x32GB G-Skill Trident Z Neo 6000CL30 RAM ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 cooler (with 2xArctic P12 Max fans) /  2TB WD SN850 NVme + 2TB Crucial T500  NVme  + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD / Corsair RM850x PSU

Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

4 minutes ago, leclod said:

Either you got a connector wrong twice.

Or your motherboard is faulty.

You got the same psu and kept the cables ?

"You got the same psu and kept the cables ?" Not sure if you mean if I have kept the older PSU, I have kept the old PSU. However, the new PSU has its own wires so have used it to set it up. 

I'm pretty confident the wires are all well setup. No probs at all.

2 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

Can you test the PSU ?

But if a new one gives that results I'd think the board is dead and is unable to regulate power

That could be...But everything else works fine on the board.. other volts read normal. The PC browses normally. 

no shot are you in bios with that at 5V, it wouldnt even boot. 

2 minutes ago, starsmine said:

no shot are you in bios with that at 5V, it wouldnt even boot. 

are you sure? can't components just run slower with the choked voltage?

Note: Users receive notifications after Mentions & Quotes. 

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

PC:

Ryzen 5 5600 |16GB DDR4 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

PCs I used before:

Pentium G4500 | 4GB/8GB DDR4 2133Mhz | H110 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz | 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

2 minutes ago, podkall said:

Components aren't even running slower. Everything is running smoothly as it should. So that's a thing to consider as well. 

27 minutes ago, podkall said:

very sure. That is a misreport. going below 11V will crash everything instantly. Thats why the atx deviation standard is 150mv. non of the VRMS will output a useable voltage for the majority of components if you have deviated that far as they are not designed to have that much deviation on the input side, It can not correct. 5V, or even 8V on the 12V rail would not even boot. 

Just now, starsmine said:

very sure. That is a misreport. going below 11V will crash everything instantly. Thats why the atx deviation standard is 150mv. non of the VRMS will output a useable voltage for the majority of components if you have deviated that far as they are not designed to have that much deviation on the input side, It can not correct. 5V, or even 8V on the 12V rail would not even boot. 

interesting, so OP can hope it's just a fried sensor or something similar to that situation?

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

PC:

PCs I used before:

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050

1 minute ago, podkall said:

interesting, so OP can hope it's just a fried sensor or something similar to that situation?

Probably something else is blown given that bios is the only thing OP is able to get into. 

2 hours ago, starsmine said:

Probably something else is blown given that bios is the only thing OP is able to get into. 

3 hours ago, GodofAKind said:

Everything is running smoothly as it should.

PC:

PCs I used before:

That has to be a gumped sensor.

Like said above you wouldn't be able to do much if anything with the 12v rail at 5 volts.

CPU : Ryzen 7 7800X3D @ -18mv all core except -13mv on Core 5 because its a pig.

CPU Cooler : Deepcool AK620 Zero Dark

Mobo : MSI B650M-A Wifi MATX

Ram : 32GB (2X16GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000MHZ CL34

GPU : Reference Design RX7900XT sold by Saphire running at 1050MV undervolt and +15% PL (355w)

Storage : 1TB WD SN770 + 2TB Samsung 970 Evo

PSU : Corsair HX750w Platinum

Case : Asus Prime AP201 All Mesh MATX

Case Fans : Arctic p12's everywhere i can fit them in , 7 In total.

Monitor : LG 27GP850-B.BEK 1440p Nano IPS 180Hz

Keyboard : HyperX Alloy Core RGB

Mouse : Corsair M65 Elite RGB

Headset : Corsair HS35 Gaming Headset

With 8V, the PC just wouldn't boot, and any half decent PSU would trigger its under voltage protection. The PC is booting, and you're getting the same voltage reading with the new PSU, which is what you'd expect with a faulty motherboard sensor. 

:)

2 hours ago, seon123 said:

Here's the AIDA64 test (the volt matches the BIOS) -

The only way to get out of the anti-surge loop is by disabling it (which by default is turned off when I reset the BIOS). But it's bothering me, coupled with this volt issue. The machine is fine as is. No issues at all.Statistics.png.45a3497d60746b16c1223701fa06efbc.png

stabilitytest.png

14 minutes ago, GodofAKind said:

Here's the AIDA64 test (the volt matches the BIOS) -

That's expected, as they both use the same bad motherboard sensor. 

16 minutes ago, GodofAKind said:

The only way to get out of the anti-surge loop is by disabling it

Keep it disabled. It's useless and triggers randomly from nothing, so it triggering doesn't mean anything. 

:)

24 minutes ago, seon123 said:

That's expected, as they both use the same bad motherboard sensor. 

Keep it disabled. It's useless and triggers randomly from nothing, so it triggering doesn't mean anything. 

That's what a lot of posts also claim that it might not be working as it should.
Thanks a bunch. Really appreciate your help 🙂