I scored (or so I think) a base model M3 Pro 14" MBP for $1800 on a recent sale at Best Buy. I would prefer to find something cheaper. I'm considering a refurbished M2 Pro instead that I've found for $1600 on Apple's website. I don't know if I'd be missing out on features though. I tried so many different Windows laptops, but none fit the bill with build quality, speakers, screen, and overall non-gameriness. I prefer glossy screens over matte screens ideally OLED or Mini LED, and of course 120hz+ is a preferred option. I can find plenty of performant options from the Windows side but most fall short especially with speakers. In an ideal world, I'd love to occasionally pick up an eSports title like Rocket League and play on my 3440x1440 175hz OLED, but it seems thats wishful thinking. I've kind of given up the idea of gaming just because the MacBook Pro M2/M3 Pro are such compelling options. Also, why does no one offer a haptic trackpad in 2024? Diveboard trackpads are so BAD. I would really love some recommendations of video editing laptops around the $1600 mark that might be able to game. The feel of the latop is very important to me. Windows is fine I'm just very in the Apple ecosystem. Thanks!

Main Desktop  Mac Mini M1 8c | Samsung Odessey G8 OLED

Laptop MacBook Pro 14 inch | M3 Pro 11c | 18GB RAM | 512GB SSD

Phone iPhone 15 Pro Max

Camera Canon EOS R | EF-S 10-18mm | Helios 44-2 58mm | EF 35mm

I don't know your budget, but if it's flexible I think $200 for an extra year of support alone is worth it, especially considering the laptop is entirely non-servicible.

On 1/22/2024 at 12:55 PM, ccnow said:

I don't know your budget, but if it's flexible I think $200 for an extra year of support alone is worth it, especially considering the laptop is entirely non-servicible.

I am going to second this. And extra year of support for $200 is probably worth it with apple devices. Just to clarify, if your base model macbook pro means that it has 8GB of ram, I would probably get rid of it and spring for a 16GB model if you plan on keeping the device long term. 

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

• 2 weeks later...

Settled on the M3 Pro 18GB 512GB SSD for $1800. Appreciate the help

Main Desktop  Mac Mini M1 8c | Samsung Odessey G8 OLED

Laptop MacBook Pro 14 inch | M3 Pro 11c | 18GB RAM | 512GB SSD

Phone iPhone 15 Pro Max

Camera Canon EOS R | EF-S 10-18mm | Helios 44-2 58mm | EF 35mm