My amplifier getting hot is it normal

Kamranbites
Go to solution Solved by mariushm,

It should get warm to hot, but not hot enough that you can't keep the finger on the chip.

The amplifier chip is "optimized" for 4 ohm or 8 ohm speakers, 3 ohm is a bit low  but will still work, but could decrease efficiency.

My advice... get some aluminum or copper sheet, get some hex standoffs and a thermal pad ... put the thermal pad between the circuit board (under the chip on that solder on the bottom) and screw the board to the standoffs - you want some standoffs so that you won't have a short circuit between the copper/aluminum base and the pins of the speaker and power terminals. 

You could skip standoffs and use a thinner thermal pad, if you put 2-3 layers of electrical tape on the metal under the pins to prevent short circuits.

My amplifier is getting too hot (the pins where I connected the speakers and the capacitors, back side of it).

Also I have noticed when volume is little high it gets hot 

Capacitors are 35V as you can see in attached picture.

Amplifier is XY-15W  

8-24V power support  

Using 12V 3A  

Speakers are 3Ω 10+10

Chip used on that amplifier is TPA3110D2

Screenshot_20240119_200620.jpg

Screenshot_20240119_200629.jpg

What do you mean by "too hot."  Most electronics can get uncomfortably hot to the touch and still be within normal operating conditions.

Amplifiers will get hot when used, especially if "pushed hard." You'll notice most larger amplifiers have their own built in heatsinks for this reason.  So if it's actually over heating, you need a more appropriate amplifier, or need to add cooling.

Since you know the chip you can look at the datasheet.

At 12V the max power into 4 Ohm is about 12W per channel, with 80% efficiency, so the chip would dissipate 4.8W, nostly to the bottom side so yeah that'll get warm. But also looking at the absolute maximum ratings at 12V min speaker impedance is 3.2 Ohm so 3 would be beyond "likely to kill the chip".

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

It should get warm to hot, but not hot enough that you can't keep the finger on the chip.

The amplifier chip is "optimized" for 4 ohm or 8 ohm speakers, 3 ohm is a bit low  but will still work, but could decrease efficiency.

My advice... get some aluminum or copper sheet, get some hex standoffs and a thermal pad ... put the thermal pad between the circuit board (under the chip on that solder on the bottom) and screw the board to the standoffs - you want some standoffs so that you won't have a short circuit between the copper/aluminum base and the pins of the speaker and power terminals. 

You could skip standoffs and use a thinner thermal pad, if you put 2-3 layers of electrical tape on the metal under the pins to prevent short circuits.