is it ok for ccd1 to be on sleep while gaming?

Go to solution Solved by WereCat,

With 7950X3D specifically it's necessary to have 1CCD asleep in games or you'll lose performance

i noticed in games, CCD1 on the 7950X3D is enabled but on sleep while CCD0 is doing all the work even when i have preferred cores on bios set to auto instead of cache. is this normal? im asking because i was seeing some videos on apex and their frames pretty much barely drop from 300 and mine seems to be like 260-300 it fluctuates, the performance is good but it seems it should be higher, this is on a 4090 on 1440p max settings

in alan wake 2, ccd1 also does some work but its mainly ccd0

2 minutes ago, WereCat said:

With 7950X3D specifically it's necessary to have 1CCD asleep in games or you'll lose performance

ok so that is normal?

1 minute ago, Mando772004 said:

ok so that is normal?

Yes

@Mando772004

The 7950X3D has a hybrid CCD design, where one CCD has the 3d-vcache, and the other does not. If you were to keep both CCDs active while gaming, the non-3d-vcache CCD would have to communicate with the 3d-vcache CCD, which is not a big problem (although there is always going to be latency between inter-CCD communication, especially with AMD who has tile-based CPUs instead of Monolithic CPUs like Intel), but also communicate with the actual 3d-vcache itself, who's access is going to be way slower for the non-3d-vcache CCD, which is a big problem and will slow down performance.

But I think both the CCDs should be working at their fullest on a heavy multithreaded workload, even at the cost of inter-CCD communication because the power of more cores is going to out way that problem.

Microsoft owns my soul.

Also, Dell is evil, but HP kinda nice.

2 hours ago, Gat Pelsinger said:

@Mando772004

The 7950X3D has a hybrid CCD design, where one CCD has the 3d-vcache, and the other does not. If you were to keep both CCDs active while gaming, the non-3d-vcache CCD would have to communicate with the 3d-vcache CCD, which is not a big problem (although there is always going to be latency between inter-CCD communication, especially with AMD who has tile-based CPUs instead of Monolithic CPUs like Intel), but also communicate with the actual 3d-vcache itself, who's access is going to be way slower for the non-3d-vcache CCD, which is a big problem and will slow down performance.

But I think both the CCDs should be working at their fullest on a heavy multithreaded workload, even at the cost of inter-CCD communication because the power of more cores is going to out way that problem.

when i use cinebench both ccds work just fine and they reach clock speeds of 4.95 on one ccd and almost 4.8 on the other ccd but in games only one ccd is used which is i guess like you just mentioned more ideal for performance in gaming, i guess thats really what these 3d cpu's are for when you enable prefer cache in bios. Thanks!

4 hours ago, Mando772004 said:

when i use cinebench both ccds work just fine and they reach clock speeds of 4.95 on one ccd and almost 4.8 on the other ccd but in games only one ccd is used which is i guess like you just mentioned more ideal for performance in gaming, i guess thats really what these 3d cpu's are for when you enable prefer cache in bios. Thanks!

This is perfectly normal behaviour,  Its also the reason that if you only game that you get a 7800X3D.

7950X3D in gaming is basically a 7800X3D whilst being close to a 7950X in productivity workloads.

CPU : Ryzen 7 7800X3D @ -18mv all core except -13mv on Core 5 because its a pig.

CPU Cooler : Deepcool AK620 Zero Dark

Mobo : MSI B650M-A Wifi MATX

Ram : 32GB (2X16GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000MHZ CL34

GPU : Reference Design RX7900XT sold by Saphire running at 1050MV undervolt and +15% PL (355w)

Storage : 1TB WD SN770 + 2TB Samsung 970 Evo

PSU : Corsair HX750w Platinum

Case : Asus Prime AP201 All Mesh MATX

Case Fans : Arctic p12's everywhere i can fit them in , 7 In total.

Monitor : LG 27GP850-B.BEK 1440p Nano IPS 180Hz

Keyboard : HyperX Alloy Core RGB

Mouse : Corsair M65 Elite RGB

Headset : Corsair HS35 Gaming Headset

2 hours ago, Bagzie said:

This is perfectly normal behaviour,  Its also the reason that if you only game that you get a 7800X3D.

7950X3D in gaming is basically a 7800X3D whilst being close to a 7950X in productivity workloads.

yes you are right but i do use this and will plan to use this in even more workload scenarios, not just gaming so it made more sense to get a 7950X3D, The 3D chips behave in a way i personally am new to so i was kinda confused but you guys helped me. Thank you!