Headband of the DT 990 Pro

TryRestart

Hello guys and thank you for clicking on this topic...

I got a slight problem with the headband of my DT 990 Pro that i have had for years now.

If i dont have my headband straight on my head it hurts my ears while wearing them, but it start to bend my head in where it sits at a little bit and also hurts after a couple of hours.

Is there anything to like switch it for something a little more comfy?

Or can i just readjust it a little bit, the material is also breaking a little bit but only a slight bit - i got them like 4 years ago or something.

Thanks for the help

You can change the padding on Beyerdynamic headbands pretty easily, but honestly it sounds like they clamp too hard on your head. Best long term solution probably is going to be buying a new pair of headphones, it's just a flaw (among many) in Beyerdynamic design

Unfortunately you made the same mistake many make when shopping for a DT 990. You bought the Pro model, which is meant for studio use and because of that has more clamping force, it's heavier and it has the stupid coiled cable.

The DT 990 Edition has the same drivers, but a lighter design, a straight cable and much less clamping force. It's the most comfortable pair of headphones I've ever had.

The strange thing is that you only have problems after years of owning it. I can't explain that...

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

2 hours ago, Cocococo said:

You can change the padding on Beyerdynamic headbands pretty easily, but honestly it sounds like they clamp too hard on your head. Best long term solution probably is going to be buying a new pair of headphones, it's just a flaw (among many) in Beyerdynamic design

That's a bummer, well i was 16 when i bought it and now i feel the pain as my head might have grown sad, they sound pretty good and it's sad to hear that.

1 hour ago, Stahlmann said:

Unfortunately you made the same mistake many make when shopping for a DT 990. You bought the Pro model, which is meant for studio use and because of that has more clamping force, it's heavier and it has the stupid coiled cable.

The DT 990 Edition has the same drivers, but a lighter design, a straight cable and much less clamping force. It's the most comfortable pair of headphones I've ever had.

The strange thing is that you only have problems after years of owning it. I can't explain that...

Yeah i can't figure it out why i now have the problem, i don't think my head has grown haha.

I do like the coiled cable it looks kinda fancy, but yeah sometimes it just gets stuck on my table.

Guess that i might have to buy new ones... are the recommendations from rtings good? 

Thanks for the replies!

23 minutes ago, TryRestart said:

That's a bummer, well i was 16 when i bought it and now i feel the pain as my head might have grown sad, they sound pretty good and it's sad to hear that.

Yeah i can't figure it out why i now have the problem, i don't think my head has grown haha.

I do like the coiled cable it looks kinda fancy, but yeah sometimes it just gets stuck on my table.

Guess that i might have to buy new ones... are the recommendations from rtings good? 

Thanks for the replies!

Headphones are very subjective so imo reviews aren't as helpful as with other tech products. You can see if there are glaring issues, but they won't help you find out if you like the frequency response (how they sound). If you like how your current headphones sound and just want something more comfortable, the DT 990 Edition or the Tygr 300R are both good options.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

1 hour ago, TryRestart said:

Thanks for the replies!

RTings are some of the absolute worst headphone reviewers out there, they finally have started posting raw frequency response graphs instead of the mystery compensated target but that doesn't excuse the nonsensical points allocation or how inherently biased they are in favour of some truly awful headphones like Sony XM4/5 and Apple Airpods Max, RTings is very pro affiliate links and affiliate links are the reviewer equivelant of corruption.

Affiliate links HEAVILY incentivise reviewers to write glowing reviews for bad products, dismiss faults and generally not give a good reference for the actual people reading, quick example is the Sony XM4 headphones that got 10/10 and 5 star review after 5 star review, but the noise cancelling was worse than the previous gen XM3 because of the worse isolation and the cheap fragile hinges used in the XM4 break all the time, it's why a not-insignificant amount of used XM4's being sold online are for parts, no review outlet has really acknowledged the reliability issues and pushes more people to buy.

Soundguys reviews are probably the best out there, still not perfect by any means, their score system suffers from a lot of 7/10 and 8/10 reviews, they're very afraid to give anything a 6/10 or less, but equally not willing to give anything a 9/10 and above, their frequency response graphs and microphone tests are probably the most useful bits of data they publish, comfort is very subjective which is why i just look for the graphs, some impressions from Crinacle and Oratory for sound quality (there is quite a few more, i just find those two the most reliable source of impressions) and judge if it's worth looking at from there. 

For what you're describing about clamping force being so hard, i think a suspension headband headphone is probably a good idea, by all means ask for recommendations with a rough budget and location then i and others can give some recc's

2 hours ago, Cocococo said:

RTings are some of the absolute worst headphone reviewers out there, they finally have started posting raw frequency response graphs instead of the mystery compensated target but that doesn't excuse the nonsensical points allocation or how inherently biased they are in favour of some truly awful headphones like Sony XM4/5 and Apple Airpods Max, RTings is very pro affiliate links and affiliate links are the reviewer equivelant of corruption.

Affiliate links HEAVILY incentivise reviewers to write glowing reviews for bad products, dismiss faults and generally not give a good reference for the actual people reading, quick example is the Sony XM4 headphones that got 10/10 and 5 star review after 5 star review, but the noise cancelling was worse than the previous gen XM3 because of the worse isolation and the cheap fragile hinges used in the XM4 break all the time, it's why a not-insignificant amount of used XM4's being sold online are for parts, no review outlet has really acknowledged the reliability issues and pushes more people to buy.

Soundguys reviews are probably the best out there, still not perfect by any means, their score system suffers from a lot of 7/10 and 8/10 reviews, they're very afraid to give anything a 6/10 or less, but equally not willing to give anything a 9/10 and above, their frequency response graphs and microphone tests are probably the most useful bits of data they publish, comfort is very subjective which is why i just look for the graphs, some impressions from Crinacle and Oratory for sound quality (there is quite a few more, i just find those two the most reliable source of impressions) and judge if it's worth looking at from there. 

For what you're describing about clamping force being so hard, i think a suspension headband headphone is probably a good idea, by all means ask for recommendations with a rough budget and location then i and others can give some recc's

Alright, didn't know it's that bad in terms of Audio from them...

I live in germany and my budget would be about 200€ maybe more if it makes a big difference.

I do like the open style a bit of the dt 990 pro but it's quite annoying for the people when i use them in discord as i tend to have my sound maxxed for no reason.

Think i would get closed ones next. 

6 hours ago, Stahlmann said:

Headphones are very subjective so imo reviews aren't as helpful as with other tech products. You can see if there are glaring issues, but they won't help you find out if you like the frequency response (how they sound). If you like how your current headphones sound and just want something more comfortable, the DT 990 Edition or the Tygr 300R are both good options.

I did like the sound profile a lot but going for change can also be a go, would look at the recommendations.