should i swap out my motherboard or keep it?

Go to solution Solved by Eigenvektor,
Just now, dreamcast4599 said:

@Eigenvektor as stated in my post i already have a ryzen 3900X gaming rig just wanted to build an lga 1150 setup for fun to mess around with

Yeah, I get that. Which, imho, makes it even less worthwhile to chase the perfect (i.e. overpriced) motherboard. Unless you want to go for some LN2 fueled overclocking record

i need some advice please. so im in the process of building a 4th gen intel lga 1150 gaming pc, to mess around with for fun. currently i have a core i7 4790K and a gigabyte GA-Z97-HD3 (rev. 2.1) motherboard. so many of the reviews i have read say this board isnt great for overclocking due in fact to its small 4 phase vrm design. i cant decide if i wanna stick with this board and just hope it overclocks my 4790K well or if i should source out a better board for overclocking keep in mind this is just for fun for me to mess around with https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-Z97-HD3-rev-21#ov just looking for advice/opinions

just cant decide what to do for some context i already have a ryzen gaming pc just building this one for fun

If you already have it, use it. Dont waste money for hopes and dreams on a 10 year old motherboard. Its not like you will be overclocking that CPU to its absolute limits without delidding.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

@Levent i know its just hard for me there arent many reviews for this board i only paid like 40$ for it i guess i just feel like i need something better

2 minutes ago, dreamcast4599 said:

@Levent i know its just hard for me there arent many reviews for this board i only paid like 40$ for it i guess i just feel like i need something better

You dont

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

45 minutes ago, dreamcast4599 said:

Nah, it will be fine. I bought just a cheap 775 board back in the day as well and got twice the performance from my q6600, but that thing also went crazy. I would get a good board if you were to go OC Ryzen chips, but not for LGA 1150.

Trans Rights!
Please tag me or use the "reply" function so I get a notification

I will find your Laptop thread and I will recommend an ITX build instead

Sure would be neat if there was something useful here, eh?

@Bismut i cant find any reviews on this board tho thats what worries me

Does it work, and does it allow you to OC? You could of course buy another board and try to flip the one you have, or you use what you have, point a fan at the VRMs and possibly blow up a 40$ board.

I would personally go for the latter, as I would imagine that the market for LGA1150 boards is not as hot, at least if they are not known to be a great base for OCing.

Trans Rights!
Please tag me or use the "reply" function so I get a notification

I will find your Laptop thread and I will recommend an ITX build instead

Sure would be neat if there was something useful here, eh?

4 minutes ago, Bismut said:

Does it work, and does it allow you to OC? You could of course buy another board and try to flip the one you have, or you use what you have, point a fan at the VRMs and possibly blow up a 40$ board.

I would personally go for the latter, as I would imagine that the market for LGA1150 boards is not as hot, at least if they are not known to be a great base for OCing.

thanks ill prolly use what i have and buy a second one to keep as a spare

6 minutes ago, dreamcast4599 said:

@Bismut i cant find any reviews on this board tho thats what worries me

A motherboard generally has very little influence on performance, provided its power delivery is adequate for the CPU. So an upgrade is typically not worth it.

Get a new motherboard if it gives you additional features (DDR4 > 5, PCIe 3 > 4). But that generally also requires a new CPU to power them and the appropriate type of RAM. In other words, change the motherboard when you change systems, not for the sake of changing your motherboard.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

@Eigenvektor as stated in my post i already have a ryzen 3900X gaming rig just wanted to build an lga 1150 setup for fun to mess around with

Yeah, I get that. Which, imho, makes it even less worthwhile to chase the perfect (i.e. overpriced) motherboard. Unless you want to go for some LN2 fueled overclocking record

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply