IR receiver/extender

tdkid

posting this in general because it kind of falls under general, off topic troubleshooting and displays as far as i can tell.

i am wondering if its possible to add an IR receiver/extender to an LG 42" TV that was built in 2011. the model is 42LV4400. i am just wondering because my cat loves to sit right where the IR receiver for the TV is so it blocks the signals when i want to change. so i an looking for this so i can move it to the top of the TV so i dont have to worry about it anymore. 

18 hours ago, Erioch said:

great except my TV being 12 years old now, doesnt have the 3.5mm headphone jack to be able to plug that in to. it does have a USB but for the most part it says for media only like USB for pics. 

3 hours ago, tdkid said:

great except my TV being 12 years old now, doesnt have the 3.5mm headphone jack to be able to plug that in to. it does have a USB but for the most part it says for media only like USB for pics. 

It doesn't need one.  You put the little repeaters over the IR sensor on the TV.

ac43aee8-c27d-4c36-84c5-b978de6dca2a.__CR0,0,970,600_PT0_SX970_V1___.jpg

3 hours ago, Erioch said:

It doesn't need one.  You put the little repeaters over the IR sensor on the TV.

ac43aee8-c27d-4c36-84c5-b978de6dca2a.__CR0,0,970,600_PT0_SX970_V1___.jpg

great but it still looking like it needs to be connected to the TV somehow and all of the ones in the link you gave me are 3.5mm headphone jack plugs which this TV doesnt have. so how would i connect it to the TV then since its supposed to extend the range or move the IR receiver to a more suitable location?

7 minutes ago, tdkid said:

great but it still looking like it needs to be connected to the TV somehow and all of the ones in the link you gave me are 3.5mm headphone jack plugs which this TV doesnt have. so how would i connect it to the TV then since its supposed to extend the range or move the IR receiver to a more suitable location?

The IR sensors and repeaters don't plug into the TV with the 3.5mm jack. They plug into the control box. The receivers are placed where your remotes can get to them, and the emitters are placed where the tv can see them.

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

2 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

The IR sensors and repeaters don't plug into the TV with the 3.5mm jack. They plug into the control box. The receivers are placed where your remotes can get to them, and the emitters are placed where the tv can see them.

yes i know that but looking at the link that erioch posted, there is not 1 connection that is anything but a 3.5mm.

1 minute ago, tdkid said:

yes i know that but looking at the link that erioch posted, there is not 1 connection that is anything but a 3.5mm.

You seem stuck on the idea that they plug into the TV. Nothing from that plugs directly into your TV.

Simply place the distribution block where close to devices you wanted to control with your remotes. Please the IR receiver to a location where you can point straight and close to your remote controller and run the cable to the distribution block for connection between IR receiver and the distribution block. The distance between the IR receiver and remote controller shall not be more than 30 feet.

Now, plug one of the emitter cables into the distribution block and run that cable to where you have your devices being controlled located. You will place one emitter head from this cable over the IR receiver on the devices being controlled.

Lastly, simply plug the repeater kit into power using the supplied power adapter and you're ready to go!

The distribution block, which has the 3.5mm female ends for the receivers and transmitters is the only thing that the receivers and transmitters plug in. 

They don't plug into the TV. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

5 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

You seem stuck on the idea that they plug into the TV. Nothing from that plugs directly into your TV.

The distribution block, which has the 3.5mm female ends for the receivers and transmitters is the only thing that the receivers and transmitters plug in. 

yes i am stuck on it because if its not plugged into your TV or whatever you are trying to control, then how does it control it? i understand it moves the IR receiver to where it can receive the signal but without being plugged into what is supposed to receive the signal originally, then how does this work?

oh and sorry, i am more of a visual learner. if you got something you can show me, it will help much more.

8 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

oh i think i get it now. place the IR transmitter over the original receiver and place a IR receiver where it can be seen or get the signal.

1 minute ago, tdkid said:

yes i am stuck on it because if its not plugged into your TV or whatever you are trying to control, then how does it control it? i understand it moves the IR receiver to where it can receive the signal but without being plugged into what is supposed to receive the signal originally, then how does this work?

It takes a signal from your remote through one of it's receivers, the box repeats it, then outputs it through one of the emitters that you place near/over the IR receiver on your tv. 

Just now, tdkid said:

oh i think i get it now. place the IR transmitter over the original receiver and place a IR receiver where it can be seen or get the signal.

Correct. This video shows it pretty well.

Project Hot Box

Oppbevaring

Why is the 5800x so hot?

1 minute ago, IkeaGnome said:

It takes a signal from your remote through one of it's receivers, the box repeats it, then outputs it through one of the emitters that you place near/over the IR receiver on your tv. 

Correct. This video shows it pretty well.

yeah, took me a minute to understand, sorry for me being stupid. but that is why i asked. i know with my cable box it came with a port just for the IR receiver to be placed so the box could be hidden so i was expecting the TV to be the same. 

do you know of any product that doesnt need to be plugged into the wall? kind of limited on plugs even with a 12 plug surge protector.

44 minutes ago, tdkid said:

yeah, took me a minute to understand, sorry for me being stupid. but that is why i asked. i know with my cable box it came with a port just for the IR receiver to be placed so the box could be hidden so i was expecting the TV to be the same. 

do you know of any product that doesnt need to be plugged into the wall? kind of limited on plugs even with a 12 plug surge protector.

This one uses USB which may work if one of your close devices can provide USB power.  Otherwise you need a wall wart.

https://www.amazon.com/Repeater-Infrared-Extender-Amplifier-Satellite/dp/B07NK74M5R/ref=sr_1_6?crid=1OKGUKE12TJ7V&keywords=ir+repeater+usb&qid=1705266698&sprefix=ir+repeater+us%2Caps%2C181&sr=8-6

1 minute ago, Erioch said:

thanks. i finally understand what you were talking about as well as ikeagnome. it just took me a minute because of me being stupid so thanks. i will look into this one more. and i am not sure. i said the model in the first post.

7 hours ago, tdkid said:

thanks. i finally understand what you were talking about as well as ikeagnome. it just took me a minute because of me being stupid so thanks. i will look into this one more. and i am not sure. i said the model in the first post.

I don't think you're stupid because you didn't know how they are setup.  I've been using them for years so it's second nature to me.

7 hours ago, Erioch said:

I don't think you're stupid because you didn't know how they are setup.  I've been using them for years so it's second nature to me.

well i kind of was. i was thinking and expecting them to have to hook up to what you wanted to control so it could be controlled just like how your cable box or satellite dish has to be. but i had no idea as i have never even thought of them as i never planned on using them but my cat recently has decided that it wants to lay in front of the TV right where the IR signal goes into it.

i will look at that product you linked and any others you can think of. right now i dont need something that has 3 inputs and 4 outputs. 

1 hour ago, tdkid said:

i dont need something that has 3 inputs and 4 outputs. 

I have the first one I linked.  While it does have the capability of having 3 inputs, it only comes with one IR receiver.  But definitely shop around and find one that works with your setup.

1 hour ago, Erioch said:

I have the first one I linked.  While it does have the capability of having 3 inputs, it only comes with one IR receiver.  But definitely shop around and find one that works with your setup.

well 1 receiver and 1 transmitter is all i need. i just need to move the location if the IR of the TV to another place so i can still control it when my cat decides they want to lay in front of where it supposed to be going to.

On 1/14/2024 at 3:20 PM, tdkid said:

yes i am stuck on it because if its not plugged into your TV or whatever you are trying to control, then how does it control it?

The same way your remote controls the TV: with an infrared LED.

All it's doing is taking in the blinking pattern from your remote, and repeating the same blinking pattern with its own LED. Your TV doesn't know the difference.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

32 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

The same way your remote controls the TV: with an infrared LED.

All it's doing is taking in the blinking pattern from your remote, and repeating the same blinking pattern with its own LED. Your TV doesn't know the difference.

yeah i got that already. i was more stuck on how would it know without it being connected to the TV in some way like how your cable box can have an IR receiver so you can hide it away.