A bullshit free search engine or llm even paid?

First results on google are either ads, or seo bs

Chatgpt now it's just like google, I wouldn't be surprised if they started placing ads in replies vs a generic consult a professional

There are plenty of free llm, but they're hw expensive, or a pain to make them work

Paid solutions are accepted 

DuckDuckGo for the search engine perhaps?

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

34 minutes ago, tikker said:

In my experience it isn't that different 

8 minutes ago, 12345678 said:

It's basically the only non-Google/Bing search that's worth a damn. (Yahoo has used Bing as its search for years.)

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

9 minutes ago, 12345678 said:

I don't really know others. DDG is my go-to if Google doesn't quite get me what I want.

In terms of ads and SEO I think that's unavoidable to some minimum extent. If it's a free service, then it rarely truly free and paid for by selling your tracked info, showing you ads or both. For SEO, well it's in the name, the whole point of it is to be higher in the search list. I don't think even a paid search engine will solve the latter. It's the impossible fight between the site you want to find (unknown), and the site the creators of that site want you to find.

1 hour ago, 12345678 said:

Chatgpt now it's just like google, I wouldn't be surprised if they started placing ads in replies vs a generic consult a professional

With how misunderstood / carelessly treated it already is that sounds like massive law suits waiting to happen. Let's hope that won't happen just yet. I'd also treat it similara to like Wikipedia: a starting point to help you narrow down your search. Supposedly ChatGPt 4 is better? I haven't tried it myself though.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

On 1/13/2024 at 12:25 PM, Needfuldoer said:

It's basically the only non-Google/Bing search that's worth a damn. (Yahoo has used Bing as its search for years.)

DDG uses Bing, just like Yahoo, and have for ages: https://www.searchenginemap.com/

used to be Bing and Yandex, then Ukraine happened.

On 1/13/2024 at 4:42 AM, tikker said:

It's just Bing with a lot of the telemetry and other items disabled.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

6 hours ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

It's just Bing with a lot of the telemetry and other items disabled.

That's fine for me. I don't have any real issues with Bing in the first place.

I recently got turned on to Kagi, which is a paid search engine. It runs no ads at all, and is strictly financed by subscriptions. Kagi also lets you block or prioritize sites in your search results, so you can pretty easily banish all of the SEO garbage stuff. I'm a programmer, so being able to blacklist random github mirrors, w3schools, etc., has been incredibly useful.

The full version is 10$/month for unlimited searches at the moment, though they have a cheaper tier that caps the number of searches and a free trial. The 10$/month sounds like a lot of money for search, but I find it to be worth it, if only for the time savings in actually finding stuff.

If you're into LLM-based things, Kagi also has a variety of AI-driven features like FastGPT (which works a bit like Bing Chat) and a universal summarizer tool, which summarizes the content of a page so you can decide if its worth your time to read further. I'm not big on LLM tools myself, but I can see how these would be very useful as well.