[Old IBM 8530] I Need Everyone's Help. I Dunno What I Should Do With My Grandpa's First PC...

8 hours ago, APCNewbie209 said:

Sorry for the late reply.  But that has huge value to me and abuela.  It was their first PC and he got it so she could do her taxes while he was away in the military.  

I've heard these go for a couple thousand dollars.  Depending on sellers.  But I actually plan on restoring it (hopefully in time for my grandma to see it she's like 85 or something man.)

My mother and uncle would also love to use this thing again because it was their first PCs too.  It has a ton of value in this family.  Now I get to use it and hopefully repair it.  Maybe even upgrade it since it wouldn't be that hard.  

But this desktop apparently instroduced VGA and PS/2 ports to the mainstream.  Introduced the Model M keyboard if I'm not mistaken, and had options for storage expansion in some models.  Could be wrong about some info, but since this is the first model of the lineup, it could be worth a lot or good to donate to a meusame at some point if my family would agree to that if I can't get it working.  

I think you are vastly overestimating the value, they sell on eBay for closer to $200. So with that in mind, keep it and use it. Tinker away. This Era of machine is what I learned on. Great fun to mess around with.

1 hour ago, Blue4130 said:

I think you are vastly overestimating the value, they sell on eBay for closer to $200. So with that in mind, keep it and use it. Tinker away. This Era of machine is what I learned on. Great fun to mess around with.

Actually I have seen some of the machines go for a few thousand on different sites.  Maybe better models of my desktop but I have seen them go for sell over $500 or more.  For the whole system.  Like CRT.  Keyboard and mouse, you get the pic.

Value doesn't mean much to me as i have no plans on selling this piece of family history.  Abuela would not be happy muchacho!  

Also, I might donate this to a muesame if I can't get it working.  Or if it's damaged beyond my ability to repair.  I already have a 4090 and 14900K build at home.  But it would be nice to give this PC new life if I can.  Is family history dawg.  Money can't replace memories.