Seeking Advice on Setting up a Security Camera System and Wi-Fi Extenders for New House.

Go to solution Solved by aggie113,

If you don't mind having a limited recoding window you'd be fine with a UDM SE.  The limts of that unit are the total number of POE ports and the single storage hard drive for saving video to. Check out what various capabilities are here:   UniFi Capacity Calculator - Ubiquiti
I would suggest G4/G5 Pro cameras for exterior use mounted under soffit or overhangs.  If you have something like a porch you could use one of the dome cameras.  If you wish to extend the lineup to a smart doorbell you could also get the G4 Doorbell pro (Would not suggest the "kit" that comes with a chime as you can purchase stand alone chimes that simply plug into a wall outlet).
Ubiquiti does not have a subscription fee.  I would not say this will remain the case for "a lifetime".  Using the app you can access locally stored video while away from home, they may one day ask for payment for this functionality.  

The downside of going with Ubiquiti is it tends to be a walled garden.  Some of the cameras can send out RTSP to allow something like BlueIris to record, but Ubiquiti plays with Ubiquiti.  The UDM SE could also function as your router/gateway if you want it to.

I'm in the process of setting up a security camera system for my new house and could use some expert advice. I'm considering going with Ubiquiti, but I'm a bit lost when it comes to the technical details.

Here's what I have in mind:

1. 1 camera for the balcony

2. 1 camera for the parking area

3. 2 cameras facing outside the home

Total 4 cameras running on PoE

4. Wi-Fi extenders/mesh running on PoE to cover areas with weak Wi-Fi signals

My house has LAN sockets in every part, and I'd like to keep the footage recording locally. Could you please help me with:

- What specific Ubiquiti products should I consider for this setup?

- Do I need to pay a monthly subscription fee to Ubiquiti after purchasing their equipment, or is it free for a lifetime?

Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance. 

If you don't mind having a limited recoding window you'd be fine with a UDM SE.  The limts of that unit are the total number of POE ports and the single storage hard drive for saving video to. Check out what various capabilities are here:   UniFi Capacity Calculator - Ubiquiti
I would suggest G4/G5 Pro cameras for exterior use mounted under soffit or overhangs.  If you have something like a porch you could use one of the dome cameras.  If you wish to extend the lineup to a smart doorbell you could also get the G4 Doorbell pro (Would not suggest the "kit" that comes with a chime as you can purchase stand alone chimes that simply plug into a wall outlet).
Ubiquiti does not have a subscription fee.  I would not say this will remain the case for "a lifetime".  Using the app you can access locally stored video while away from home, they may one day ask for payment for this functionality.  

The downside of going with Ubiquiti is it tends to be a walled garden.  Some of the cameras can send out RTSP to allow something like BlueIris to record, but Ubiquiti plays with Ubiquiti.  The UDM SE could also function as your router/gateway if you want it to.

But I'm just talking out my ass.