Black screen and fans ramp up to 100%

Favebook

Hey awesome peps, I have a weird issue since I replaced my GPU so I assume the GPU is where the problem lies, but wanted to ask more experinced people here.

The issue:
At random times PC will completely black out both monitor screens and ramp up all fans to 100%. Sometimes it will happen moments after turning the cold PC, sometimes it will happen after it was idling for hours, and other times it will happen during gaming. While most of the time, it won't happen whole day even if PC works 24/7 (under load (F@H) or not).

What I tried:

• Setting GPU PL to 90, 80, 75 and 65%
  • Upgrading to newest GPU and Win10 driver

What I need to try:

PC specs:

• CPU
    Intel® Core™ i7-8700K
  • Motherboard
    Aorus Z370 Gaming 7(rev 1.0)
  • RAM
    VENGEANCE® RGB PRO 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz
  • GPU
    RTX 4090 ASUS TUF Gaming
  • Case
    Carbide Series SPEC-OMEGA RGB Mid-Tower
  • Storage
    Samsung Evo 970 1TB & WD Red Pro 10TB
  • PSU
    Corsair HX850i — 80 Plus® Platinum
  • Display(s)
    Acer Predator x34 120Hz
    ZOWIE XL2546
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro

Related threads I found:

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/screen-goes-black-with-fans-running-at-full-speed.3761221/#post-22682645

Favebook's F@H Stats

Favebook's BOINC Stats

CPU i7-8700k (5.0GHz)  Motherboard Aorus Z370 Gaming 7  RAM Vengeance® RGB Pro 16GB DDR4 3200MHz  GPU  Aorus 1080 Ti

Case Carbide Series SPEC-OMEGA  Storage  Samsung Evo 970 1TB & WD Red Pro 10TB

PSU Corsair HX850i  Cooling Custom EKWB loop

Display Acer Predator x34 120Hz

Yo, I have/had the same exact problem. When researching for a solution and having  calls with nvidia and asus and forums for trouble shooting, i have might have found an answer. Unfortunately the outcome is not good. it comes down to either the motherboard gone bad or gpu has gone bad. The gpu is the most likely. I have ordered a  replacement 4070ti and it is due to arrive in 2 days. If you wish i’ll post an update here saying weither or not the replacement fixed the problem. 

8 hours ago, Sanjey Saravanan said:

If you wish i’ll post an update here saying weither or not the replacement fixed the problem. 

Please do

Favebook's F@H Stats

Favebook's BOINC Stats

CPU i7-8700k (5.0GHz)  Motherboard Aorus Z370 Gaming 7  RAM Vengeance® RGB Pro 16GB DDR4 3200MHz  GPU  Aorus 1080 Ti

12 hours ago, Favebook said:

Please do

Ok np, i will post tomorrow if it comes in time. 

But in the meantime can you unplug the  12v 40 series splitter from your gpu and inspect it. Look for broken/melted pins. If you see dust, clean it. Once you check and nothing looks wrong with the splitter, make sure you plug it all the way in the gpu (i would recommend watching a youtube tutorial). Also it would be helpful if you sent me a photo of the splitter cable.

On 1/9/2024 at 4:12 AM, Favebook said:

Please do

follow up: the new gpu fixed everything 

9 hours ago, Sanjey Saravanan said:

follow up: the new gpu fixed everything 

Damn, I was afraid of that. Looks like I'll have to get rid of this one.

On 1/9/2024 at 11:45 PM, Sanjey Saravanan said:

But in the meantime can you unplug the  12v 40 series splitter from your gpu and inspect it. Look for broken/melted pins. If you see dust, clean it. Once you check and nothing looks wrong with the splitter, make sure you plug it all the way in the gpu (i would recommend watching a youtube tutorial). Also it would be helpful if you sent me a photo of the splitter cable.

I inspected it a few weeks ago, nothing broken/melted or dusty. The 12v splitter was brand new and unused. I also made sure it's plugged all the way in (click + extra push just to be safe).

It's been ~36h of no crashes with 24/7 folding. I'll post a picture as soon as it crashes next time.

Favebook's F@H Stats

Favebook's BOINC Stats

2 hours ago, Favebook said:

It's been ~36h of no crashes with 24/7 folding. I'll post a picture as soon as it crashes next time.

very good, hope it doesn’t crash again

On 1/11/2024 at 1:48 PM, Sanjey Saravanan said:

very good, hope it doesn’t crash again

It looks like whenever it cools down it crashes. Folding+Gaming it works fine. But if I restart PC and start playing cold, it is highly likely to crash. Same if I stop folding, if it cools down and there are spikes in usage in gaming, there is a likelyhood of crash.

Favebook's F@H Stats

Favebook's BOINC Stats

46 minutes ago, Favebook said:

It looks like whenever it cools down it crashes. Folding+Gaming it works fine. But if I restart PC and start playing cold, it is highly likely to crash. Same if I stop folding, if it cools down and there are spikes in usage in gaming, there is a likelyhood of crash.

This points to a marginal solder joint that has a micro fracture - it works when warm and then when it cools down it will disconnect again.