How to upgrade MacOS on Macbook Pro Retina 13" (Early 2015)?

Hello,

I am trying to assist a friend in being able to run a few programs that do not appear to be working at all (Minecraft Java, Roblox, Parsec, Steam)

Unfortunately I am not experienced in MacOS at all, but I believe that the issue is due to the Mac running Yosemite.

Following apples support guide on updating MacOS (System Preferences > Software Update) leads to the app store which does not appear to have anything to update.

It is looking like the only option is a complete reinstall of the OS. unless there is another easier way that I am simply not aware of.

Thank you to anyone that helps me with this issue.

image.png.e67ca9ab844bac39efea1d1a602efcb1.png

Yosemite first released in 2014, this model should be officially able to upgrade all the way to macOS Monterey which is much newer with the first release in 2021.

If using less 'official' methods it could possibly go for the current newest versions, look up: https://github.com/dortania/OpenCore-Legacy-Patcher

>> Please consider tagging me (with a @) or quoting my reply so I can more easily get back at you! <<

Always happy to help!! 🤠

This Mac supports macOS Monterey. Go to the Mac App Store, search for macOS Monterey, download it, install it.

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)