Can you buy Windows 11 pre-put on a USB?

Nelly._.
Go to solution Solved by pilotalco,

I don’t think so. The only USB-related thing I’ve seen is from an Amazon page, but it seems to only offer “used” copies. Because of this, you’re better of making your own copy by following Microsoft’s instructions to (I was wrong; see OhioYJ’s reply to buy pre-made USBs.)

Alternatively, you can create your own Windows 11 media with your own flash drive.

To do this, you only need internet, a friend’s or family member’s computer, and a minimum 8GB stick. If you don’t have a USB stick already, compatible ones can be purchased for <$10 USD. (Note: Always purchase from a reputable brand and source. I recommend getting a USB 3.0 stick to make your installation quicker, but it isn’t strictly required.)

I'm a newbie and just wanted to know if you could buy Windows 11 pre-put/pre-installed on a USB. Is there any official thing like this?
You know, just for the ease and convenience of it, because I'm planning to build my first PC. 

You probably can but it takes 5 minutes using and like 5 clicks using their official tool to do it yourself. 

You can download Windows 11 for free, make a bootable USB, and then buy the activation code and use it when you setup the new Windows 11 device.

Note: Users receive notifications after Mentions & Quotes. 

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

PC:

Ryzen 5 5600 |16GB DDR4 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

PCs I used before:

Pentium G4500 | 4GB/8GB DDR4 2133Mhz | H110 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz | 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

Posted (edited)

I don’t think so. The only USB-related thing I’ve seen is from an Amazon page, but it seems to only offer “used” copies. Because of this, you’re better of making your own copy by following Microsoft’s instructions to (I was wrong; see OhioYJ’s reply to buy pre-made USBs.)

Alternatively, you can create your own Windows 11 media with your own flash drive.

To do this, you only need internet, a friend’s or family member’s computer, and a minimum 8GB stick. If you don’t have a USB stick already, compatible ones can be purchased for <$10 USD. (Note: Always purchase from a reputable brand and source. I recommend getting a USB 3.0 stick to make your installation quicker, but it isn’t strictly required.)

Edited by pilotalco
Corrected, thanks OhioYJ

As everyone else has said already: Get your own USB stick (at least 16GB, but feel free to go absolutely bananas) and use the official tool Microsoft provides for free. It is likely cheaper and easier, since you do not have to enter your credit card info or anything.

Trans Rights!
Please tag me or use the "reply" function so I get a notification

I will find your Laptop thread and I will recommend an ITX build instead

Sure would be neat if there was something useful here, eh?

Just now, Murasaki said:

Plug USB drive in, Get Windows 11 Media Creation Tool from Microsoft's site, launch it, viola.

I'm pretty sure Win11 also works without key, but it will have the activate watermark and reduced features right?

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

PC:

PCs I used before:

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050

2 minutes ago, podkall said:

I'm pretty sure Win11 also works without key, but it will have the activate watermark and reduced features right?

I've never had a watermark in any version of Windows, only the reduced customization which I think can be overriden with Winaero Tweaker

I don't wait around anyway, always activate it during or after installing.

3 minutes ago, podkall said:

Officially, this is correct. However, leaving windows not activated still gives you 99% of the features you need, so getting activation is more of a “nice-to-have” than strictly required these days.

As others have said, sometimes the watermark appears and sometimes it doesn’t. I really don’t know why, but I guess it just.. depends on how much favor you have with the Microsoft gods?

3 minutes ago, pilotalco said:

Officially, this is correct. However, leaving windows not activated still gives you 99% of the features you need, so getting activation is more of a “nice-to-have” than strictly required these days.

As others have said, sometimes the watermark appears and sometimes it doesn’t. I really don’t know why, but I guess it just.. depends on how much favor you have with the Microsoft gods?

could be a country tweak, or grey area legal tweak perhaps?

PC:

PCs I used before:

24 minutes ago, Nelly._. said:

wanted to know if you could buy Windows 11 pre-put/pre-installed on a USB. Is there any official thing like this?

Yes, you can buy the physical licence which comes with a USB installer and the activation code in a box.

English is not my first language, so please excuse any confusion or misunderstandings on my end.

I like to edit my posts a lot.

F@H-Stats

The Folding rig:

CPU: Core i7 4790K

RAM: 16 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1600

GPU 1: RTX 2070 Super

GPU 2: GTX 1060 3GB

PSU: Gigabyte P450B EVGA 600BR EVGA 750BR

Linux let me down.

.- -- --- --. ..- ...         

Hello!

25 minutes ago, pilotalco said:

I don’t think so.

It's always been a thing.

Newegg Link (Windows 11 Home USB)

MicroCenter (Windows 11 Home USB)

Microcenter (Windows 11 Pro USB)

Direct from Microsoft (Windows 11 USB)

For the OP, as others have mentioned:

Microsoft Explains how to create a USB. (Assuming you have access to another PC to create one)

5 minutes ago, OhioYJ said:

It's always been a thing.

Sorry about that, I had thought for a minute that they got rid of it. I’ve corrected my prior reply. Thanks

32 minutes ago, Murasaki said:

I've never had a watermark in any version of Windows, only the reduced customization which I think can be overriden with Winaero Tweaker

I don't wait around anyway, always activate it during or after installing.

Okay, so if I get Windows 11 for free now, I can just buy Windows 11 later and enter the activation code?

4 minutes ago, Nelly._. said:

Okay, so if I get Windows 11 for free now, I can just buy Windows 11 later and enter the activation code?

Yes

Yes should be fine, although some minor parts can be different by now as the installation process is updated from time to time but the important parts are the same