NAS and Small Home Server

Hi Everyone. For the last 8 years or so I've been using a QNAP NAS as a backup and (mainly) as a Plex Server. I upload mainly full quality BluRay and DVD rips in mkv format (ie: not compressed to H.264 or H.265). The solution had been working well until the last 5 months or so. The QNAP interface has become very slow, the Plex Server "app" crashes regularly, CPU and RAM usage is higher than it seems like it should be. I had it freeze on bootup once after a power outage. I haven't lost any data yet (at least none that I know of) but it feels inevitable. So I want to be proactive and start figuring out a replacement.

I think I want to build my own this time around... but am not opposed to another QNAP or Synology system if that ends up making the most sense. My main use-case is as a Plex Server (though given the state of Plex, I will inevitably be playing with Jellyfin soon enough as well). Transcoding is nice, but I mainly just stream on my internal network at full quality (to an NVIDIA shield). I do have a couple other small VMs or containers I might want to run (pi-hole, web server for my own personal projects, maybe home assistant/automation stuff). I do not need high powered servers but I want the process of spinning up something new to experiment and play with to be fairly easy.

As far as access to the "NAS" part itself goes, I wouldn't be accessing from outside my network. I just need to be able to have basic FTP/NFS/SMB shares available. I will be storing a lot of photos but don't think I'll need any special features for that. I have access to fairly cheap WD drives through my job so I'll probably be starting with 4 or 6 12-16TB drives I'd like the ability to add a couple drives in the future if they become necessary.

When thinking about a custom build NAS I come across two main questions I'd like opinions on:

1. "What kind of hardware makes the most sense?" I know I want 2.5 gb ethernet, and I want to have the most power efficient setup possible. 99% of the time this box will be idle, and 99% of the time it is doing 'something' it'll be sending files over the network it's not going to be doing anything particularly intensive. I want the most efficient low power states possible. I'd also like it to be as quiet as possible, I know it won't ever be silent what with HDDs and all, but I cannot have real server hardware with real server fan noise... I share an office with this thing.

2. "What kind of configuration makes sense?" Should I be thinking about this as a device that runs a NAS OS, and that OS has the ability to run VMs and containers for Plex and whatever else (this would be similar to how QNAP and Synology work)? Or should I be thinking of the system as running some sort of hypervisor where it runs several VM/containers one of which is the NAS OS, another of which is Plex etc.?

There are plenty of articles and videos about the various NAS OS options out there so I don't think I need to discuss that much. I haven't decided which one I want to use but I have plenty of information to choose one.

Would love to hear from folks that have done this before.

Just curious what model of QNAP NAS do you have? Ever thought of installing a new OS onto it? It was pretty easy for my QNAP TS-251, breathing whole new life into it. I was able to install TrueNAS Core by removing the old usb DOM device that had the old OS installed and then install a new usb storage device in place of the DOM. TrueNAS worked out great for a while and I'm pretty sure it covers all of your requirements too. I have since "evolved" into using plain old Debian Linux in a headless setup cuz I'm a command line masochist. Just thought I would drop this bit of advise because I saved a lot of cash by re-purposing my old NAS instead of buying whole new hardware.