Mic not working with Y splitter

_Dylan123

Hello,

So basically I built my first pc probably half a month ago, and just got a gaming headset to go with it when I realized my PC has a audio and mic input I bought a splitter (1 female Z(TRRS) + 2 male(TRS). I was hoping for a easy plug and play time but that didn't happen. When I plugged it in my pc ask what both inputs were (Mic/Headphone) which I selected. Audio works flawlessly while mic does not. There is a issue where it seems as though my mic is recognizing my audio as input?

The reason I say this is because when I go into the control panel and look at the playback/recording tabs, my mic's green level bar moves with my audio one while say a video is playing. I've tried everything I could possibly google.

Enabling in control panel, checking Realtek panel, updating drivers, rolling drivers back, making sure they're plugged in properly (tried rear and front of PC), making sure its unmuted in windows and physical headphones. I am at a loss so I came here to hopefully get help as last resort. 

The only thing i could note is that when i did a couple online mic test, if i blew wind or talked suuuuper close into my mic it would just barely pick it up. I thought the headset itself may be the issue but I tested with a PS5 and it worked fine. 

This may be important just before posting this I saw the last section (closest to actual wire) of the pin on headphone is for microphone? It doesnt go all the way into the splitter. This may be the issue however I'm not sure. Not sure why it doesnt go all the way in even with decent pressure, maybe I need to try a different one?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks

1 hour ago, _Dylan123 said:

Hello,

So basically I built my first pc probably half a month ago, and just got a gaming headset to go with it when I realized my PC has a audio and mic input I bought a splitter (1 female Z(TRRS) + 2 male(TRS). I was hoping for a easy plug and play time but that didn't happen. When I plugged it in my pc ask what both inputs were (Mic/Headphone) which I selected. Audio works flawlessly while mic does not. There is a issue where it seems as though my mic is recognizing my audio as input?

If the input on the computer is TRRS, you must select "headset", not "headphones"

If the input on the computer is separate TRS and TS for headphones and microphone then you need to select headphones and microphone for the separate connections.

The most likely thing is that you bought something that isn't wired to do this.

image 35

This is what you should have. 

If it does appear to be working in some way, then what has happened is that it's not wired correctly and is using the ear piece as the microphone. Try swapping it.

On laptops, sometimes the headphone jack on the computer is actually a "headset" jack. Which means check by plugging the headset directly into the computer and see what happens.