I need help installing Ubuntu

Go to solution Solved by Milesqqw2,

Never mind I got it to work. If anyone want to know what i did just ask.

So, I am trying to install Ubuntu, so I looked up a guide on how to install it. This worked, but I am new to installing any type of Linux distro, so I didn’t know why it wasn’t letting me select the drive I wanted to download it on. So I booted back into windows and reinstalled and formatted the usb drive exactly how the guide told me to. I also made a partition on my drive because I forgot to do that the first time (I must have missed that step). Then when I tried to boot from the usb to install it on my drive, I got a screen that said that I was using bios for a non bios compatible os. I thought this was weird because it had worked the first time. I did the previous steps again and it still didn’t work. So I went into bios and set the usb drive as the main boot drive and the windows boot thingymabob and the second boot drive, and I still booted into windows. I am out of ideas here and could really use some help.

Good news, I got into the install thing for Ubuntu and set my settings and what partitions are what. But now when I click install it says “No root system is defined Please correct this from the partitioning menu.” How do I fix this?

Never mind I got it to work. If anyone want to know what i did just ask.

I see you got this already, but here are some steps that might help others:

1. For the install, you need to create a bootable USB, boot to that USB and install. For the bootable usb, I would use a software called Ventoy. Just download the version for windows, unzip, and run the exe. It will guide you through installing Ventoy on the usb. Once its installed, you will see in your files explorer a new usb drive called "Ventoy". Download the ISO for Ubuntu, and simply copy the ISO file to the Ventoy usb drive.

2. Now, reboot your computer and choose the usb drive for the boot. For some computers its mashing F11 or F12 when the computer boots, and others its DEL. You need to figure that out for your computer. This will take you to the boot menu, where you should see a list with Windows Boot Manager at the top, and a USB drive below. Select the USB drive, and let it boot from the drive. This should take you right to Ubuntu after about 30-60 sec. It will then guide you through the installation process.

This is way easier than actually creating bootable partitions yourself.