Outputting smart monitor audio via PC

Hello Linus Techies,

I've recently added a new Smart monitor into my PC set up which I can watch content on and doesn't need to be connected to my PC and drawing resources from my main display. But I don't want to use the built in speakers. I want to link the smart monitor into my PC so the audio is routed to whichever output my PC has selected (headphones or speaker). I'm using a Sonos soundbar which connects to the Digital audio out on the back of my motherboard as I don't have an ARC rated HDMI on the motherboard. I tried using a splitter on this and connecting the smart monitor the same way, this didn't work. I also tried a USB - C to 3.5mm Jack cable into the back of the motherboard which also didn't work. Does anyone know of a way I can achieve this? 

Thank you,

Joseph406001690_695850042526444_4236469706291094115_n.thumb.jpg.8cfe8c2395684a0fc7bedc19e66722b0.jpg

It would help if you actually told us the monitor. Does it have any audio outputs? If there's no TOSLINK out, Line Out, or HDMI (e)ARC, then you're sh** out of luck.

Someone posted a similar question the other day regarding the Samsung M8 monitor.

Using the monitor's built-in apps means it will use the monitor's CPU and whatnot. This means the monitor can only do what it's been explicitly programmed to do (like a TV) - so you won't be able to add any soundcards or USB drivers to it for outputting audio.

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

Hello, Thank you for your reply. Sorry it's the Samsung M7 monitor, it has HDMI (e)ARC out, and a usb-c port, that's about it to be honest. Will I have to get an Audio mixer potentially? 

4 hours ago, JosephStealin said:

Hello, Thank you for your reply. Sorry it's the Samsung M7 monitor, it has HDMI (e)ARC out, and a usb-c port, that's about it to be honest. Will I have to get an Audio mixer potentially? 

The Samsung M7 has an HDMI eARC port?! That's amazing.

Theoretically the setup should be as simple as a regular television...?

HDMI eARC port 1 -> Sonos HDMI port

HDMI port 2 -> PC Video card

The monitor grabs the audio from the video card HDMI port and routes it to the Sonos soundbar (thanks to eARC).

When you watch content via "Smart TV" stuff, it should still be smart enough to use the eARC for the soundbar..?

| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

Yeah it has an HDMI ARC rated port on it for sure. Just no other audio connections. So the HDMI from my PC video card would just carry the audio from the PC to the Sonos via the smart monitor? Because I want to avoid connecting it to my PC like a standard monitor. I need all the juice for the G95 😄 Then I just need to figure out how to route that to my headset as well.

detail-connectivity1 Black

Thank you, 
Joseph

I don’t understand anything you just said.

Why wouldn’t you connect your PC to the monitor… like a monitor?

What do you mean about the headset? It would still connect to your PC like normal.

edit:

ah, for some reason I thought the massive ultrawide was the M7.

Can't you just tell the PC not to output anything to the M7?

I don't have a PC, but I know it's something you cannot do on Macs.

Hello, 

Yeah the ultrawide is the G95, that is barely running off my 3090. But I want to dedicate full resources to that screen so I can atleast get close to the 120fps limit. Even if I "disconnected" the M7 display in windows I'm pretty sure it still draws resources and it can definitely still cause problems with stuff launching on the disconnected monitor ETC. All I want is the M7 audio to pass through my PC to the output. I've been able to get the headset to work on the M7 using a Corsair USB to 3.5mm jack adapter. But when I use the same adapter with a 3.5mm jack cable running to the inputs on the back on my motherboard I just get nothing passing through. It registers as a Line in Mic no matter what I change. I tried finding a dual data USB female Y splitter so I could just plug the headset into both devices at once, but apparently such a cable doesn't exist.