Ideas on where I should go or who I should use to create my own PC mod website.

Joefro007

Currently I am an ASP.Net developer for another company but would like to branch out and build my own PC mod download and community site.  I wonder where the best hosting service would be for something like this to start out. I know how to build a site and SQL to build my databases. Just don't want to host it at home till it becomes big enough to need my own services(If it even gets there.).

There are plenty of cloud hosting solutions, the first that comes to mind would be AWS. Which provider is best for you kind of depends on what your needs are (regarding bandwidth, power, storage etc.), which may change which offer is more convenient.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

That's quite the project. If you are looking to create a small POC then I would personally go with a smaller hosting provider as some give you unlimited traffic and fixed hardware for a flat rate which can be good to start out on.

AWS definitely offers you more flexibility but at the cost of having to learn how to get into it and it can be quite overwhelming in the beginning. also you can risk either bursting your budget or taking your site down one week into the month after spending your budget as costs can increase quite rapidly sometimes when you exceed certain thresholds like storage or bandwidth.

33 minutes ago, Sauron said:

There are plenty of cloud hosting solutions, the first that comes to mind would be AWS. Which provider is best for you kind of depends on what your needs are (regarding bandwidth, power, storage etc.), which may change which offer is more convenient.

I like that idea I'll look into them and see if they could be a good start!

20 minutes ago, Dreckssackblase said:

That's quite the project. If you are looking to create a small POC then I would personally go with a smaller hosting provider as some give you unlimited traffic and fixed hardware for a flat rate which can be good to start out on.

AWS definitely offers you more flexibility but at the cost of having to learn how to get into it and it can be quite overwhelming in the beginning. also you can risk either bursting your budget or taking your site down one week into the month after spending your budget as costs can increase quite rapidly sometimes when you exceed certain thresholds like storage or bandwidth.

Yea that is my concern. Since this is my first foray into building my own site. I'm concerned about my traffic and bandwidth needs. Do you know some reputable sites to check out? I thought about goDaddy but wasn't sure it the basic webhosting plan would be enough for my needs. Squarespace doesn't do web hosting. Just website hosting. I don't know others so I don't know if they would be trust worthy.

godaddy webhosting.png

9 minutes ago, Joefro007 said:

Do you know some reputable sites to check out?

Depends on where you're from and what exactly your needs are.

I don't know what size mods you're talking about and the amount you want to host but 50 or even 100 GB seems low for file hosting. 

Have you already decided what exactly you are looking for in the cloud, a IAAS or a PAAS  ?

So a virtual Server with OS-level access to work on or do you just need a web-platform to manage your website ?