Im looking for a machine with long battery life and good enough power to do my coding on the go as my secondary machine, i haven't used macbooks before, should i just use the cheapest m1 macbook air i can find or something else 

Edited by Luci391f
Adding tags

Depends if you can tolerate apples ecosystem and other garbage.

Whats your budget for this?

PC Specifications: Intel i9-14900KF, 5.9GHz all core locked, 5GHz ring, 1.45v Medium LLC, E-cores and HT disabled | MSI RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 + Thermal Grizzly contact frame | 2x16 G.Skill Trident Z5 7400MHz 34-44-44-34 1T 1.45v (Tuned Subtimings, Hynix A-Die) | Gigabyte Z790 AORUS Elite AX | Windows 10/11 EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 T2 Phanteks P400A (Black non-rgb version, Phanteks T30 fans 3 intake (On AIO), 1 exhaust) | SK Hynix Platinum P41 2TB PCIE 4.0 (Boot drive), Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SATA

Displays: MSI MAG 271QPX 1440p 360Hz 27" QD-OLED | LG UltraGear 27GP950-B, 4K 144Hz (@120hz) 27" IPS

Desktop Audio: STAX SR-007 MK2 Electrostatic Headphones | STAX SRM-400S Amp | Schiit Bifrost 2/64 (NOS mode, USB in, XLR out)

Mobile Audio: Sennheiser IE 900 IEMs using included 4.4mm cable | FiiO KA13 "Desktop mode" Disabled

Peripherals: Razer Huntsman V2 Full size wired with linear optical switch | Logitech G502 Hero

15 minutes ago, rippy4500 said:

Depends if you can tolerate apples ecosystem and other garbage.

Whats your budget for this?

What i need is good battery life and i cant get good battery life in windows ecosystem unfortunately and hopefully the machine is capable enough to run my ml codes 

Quite flexible on the budget

The automatic suggestion for thin, portable, powerful, and long battery life would be one of the M-series MacBooks (Pro).

But you'll have to do your own homework if MacOS (or CrossOver / Parallels) is fully compatible with everything you intend to do.

My close friend is one of the most-senior Software Developers at this job (military contracts) and he does most of his work on a MacBook Pro 8GB 256GB he bought back in 2014. He only recently upgraded to an M2 Max MacBook Pro.

I have a MacBook Pro M1 Pro 16" and the battery lasts 8hrs-18hrs.

Easily 8-10hrs for productive work days and about 18hrs if I'm just on Reddit or watching VLC all day.

edit:

I would not bother with the MacBook Air series unless you seriously need the laptop to be as light as possible.

a refurbished M1 Pro / M2 Pro MacBook Pro 14" is the sweet spot for performance, usability, battery life, and luxury

Edited by saintlouisbagels

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |