Mistakes were made, ideas would be helpful

Go to solution Solved by problemsolver,
1 hour ago, RoastbeefSalad said:

So there I was....xmas right around the corner and I thought to myself, hey...lets upgrade the wifes computer.  Out with the old Ryzen 3 3100, make way for the new Ryzen 5 5600x, get gone RX 570, make way for the new 7600...c yah 8g stick of ddr 4 3000 ram, here comes the new 16g ddr4 3600.

Things were going swimmingly until i plugged it in annnnnd...nothing on the screen

It was recommended I do a cmos reset, sorta made sense to me, new chip clean instal....so I did it....annnnnd nothing on the screen

Could be a driver issue im thinking, so put the old vid card in annnnnnd nothing on screen

Oh damn im in trouble sets in so I put everything i took out back in annnnnnnd nothing on screen.

What im thinking happened (feel free to correct me if im wrong) is I needed a bios update to run the 5600x, and resetting the cmos wiped the bios update that allowed the board to run the ryzen 3? Maybe? At any rate here I am with no display no matter configuration of old and new parts i put in the case. Wifes home now and im in hot water...any help you guys can offer would be much appreciated

MOBO is a a320 from asrock (no post lights or speaker and no q flash)

First, to summarize:

• You had a Ryzen 3100 (Matisse) processor in your Asrock A320M
  • You upgraded all the things (RAM included) and put in a Ryzen 5600X (Vermeer)
  • Now nothing works
    • Of course it doesn't, the motherboard doesn't even support your Vermeer CPU until the last two UEFI updates
      You'll need to do the following:
      • Put back in the old CPU
      • I would put in the old RAM also!
      • Put back in the old GPU too!
      • Clear the CMOS again
    • Upgrade the UEFI to 7.00 from here NOT THE LATEST UEFI! (notice Asrock's note stating UEFI 7.20 requires 7.0 first)
    • Upgrade again to UEFI 7.20
    • Reinstall all the upgrades
    • Boot the computer
      • Install the latest AMD chipset drivers
        • You should be able to just click the big "DOWNLOAD WINDOWS DRIVERS" button near the top of the page on the left-ish side
    • A crisis is a terrible thing to waste, look like a genius to your wife. She will appreciate the significant upgrade
      If the steps aren't working, DM me and I'll help you get it resolved quickly since you're in some "hot water" as you put it

So there I was....xmas right around the corner and I thought to myself, hey...lets upgrade the wifes computer.  Out with the old Ryzen 3 3100, make way for the new Ryzen 5 5600x, get gone RX 570, make way for the new 7600...c yah 8g stick of ddr 4 3000 ram, here comes the new 16g ddr4 3600.

Things were going swimmingly until i plugged it in annnnnd...nothing on the screen

It was recommended I do a cmos reset, sorta made sense to me, new chip clean instal....so I did it....annnnnd nothing on the screen

Could be a driver issue im thinking, so put the old vid card in annnnnnd nothing on screen

Oh damn im in trouble sets in so I put everything i took out back in annnnnnnd nothing on screen.

What im thinking happened (feel free to correct me if im wrong) is I needed a bios update to run the 5600x, and resetting the cmos wiped the bios update that allowed the board to run the ryzen 3? Maybe? At any rate here I am with no display no matter configuration of old and new parts i put in the case. Wifes home now and im in hot water...any help you guys can offer would be much appreciated

Your bios version doesn't revert back to the first one with a CMOS reset, it just resets it to default settings. But you are right that you probably need a BIOS update before the board can recognize the new processor. You should've done an before pulling out the old CPU. Since your board doesn't have qflash You can put the old CPU back there and update to the correct version, then put the new CPU in.

unfortunately even with the old cpu i get no display, thank you for the reply

1 hour ago, RoastbeefSalad said:

First, to summarize:

• You had a Ryzen 3100 (Matisse) processor in your Asrock A320M
  • You upgraded all the things (RAM included) and put in a Ryzen 5600X (Vermeer)
  • Now nothing works
    • Of course it doesn't, the motherboard doesn't even support your Vermeer CPU until the last two UEFI updates
      You'll need to do the following:
      • Put back in the old CPU
      • I would put in the old RAM also!
      • Put back in the old GPU too!
      • Clear the CMOS again
    • Upgrade the UEFI to 7.00 from here NOT THE LATEST UEFI! (notice Asrock's note stating UEFI 7.20 requires 7.0 first)
    • Upgrade again to UEFI 7.20
    • Reinstall all the upgrades
    • Boot the computer
      • Install the latest AMD chipset drivers
        • You should be able to just click the big "DOWNLOAD WINDOWS DRIVERS" button near the top of the page on the left-ish side
    • A crisis is a terrible thing to waste, look like a genius to your wife. She will appreciate the significant upgrade
      If the steps aren't working, DM me and I'll help you get it resolved quickly since you're in some "hot water" as you put it

There is approximately a 117% chance I edited my post.

Please refresh before you reply.

Did a post solve your issue?  Please mark it as the solution!

Soooo after 14 hours of fiddling, I got it. 

Yes to the above posts, I was excited and in a hurry and never considered flashing the bios (my most recent builds were plug n play so it was truly an after thought).  The more I swapped parts out and the more I was staring at a black screen, it just dawned on me. It’s gotta be ram. 2 new sticks of ram shouldn’t be the issue but you never know so for shits and grins I popped one of the old 8g sticks in (key note, one stick). Computer fired up, posted and went right to windows. So I shut it down and put one new stick in instead. Computer fired right up. Put second stick in and black screen again. Rotated the two sticks, still

black screen, removed the second stick and comp fired right up. At this point I’m thinking either the slot is dirty or damaged, cleaned and repeated and again computer runs with a single stick of ram but not dual channel. Went ahead and flashed the bios, as directed sequentially and then swapped to the new cpu. Lo and behold…a slight bend in the old cpu pin was the culprit. With the new cpu installed bios flashed both channels of memory came alive, popped the new gpu in, downloaded drivers and the wife is now smiling in her dinosaur game (ark). 14 hours but it’s done 🙂  

just thought I’d share my story Incase anyone else has something similar happen. Thanks again for the support above, it’s helpful sometimes just knowing you have a place to turn