PSU Wattage Help Needed

Go to solution Solved by daemonowner,

The CX600M is 80Plus Bronze, semi modular, with a 3 year warranty. It's a solid budget choice. The CX600M goes for $105 on PCCG and Mwave, and the CX500M is $89 on PCCG. I don't think your build will need 600W, so you could save by getting the 500W.

A good step up from the CXM series is the Seasonic G-Series if you're willing to spend a bit more for the better quality and efficiency. The 550W is $119 at Mwave and $129 at PCCG.

Those would be my recommendations. I'm not too familiar with Australian stores, so if you have a preferred retailer you could look around for these units and compare prices.

I am looking to build my first pc (and really excited in doing it :D, been playing consoles basically my whole life) and have decided on the following:

LGA1150 3 Ghz 4-Core
AMD r7 260 (nearly decided on buying a r9 270x) or GTX 660 upwards
4 GB Ram
LGA 1150 ATX Motherboard (PCI-E 16x 3.0, USB 3.0)
Optical Sound (Motherboard,Graphic Card or Soundcard)
DVD Writer
micro ATX Case (USB 3.0)
1TB HDD + 120GB SSD
WiFi Card
About 4 case fans

Now my problem is everytime i go to a power calculator and it keeps saying 700,800w and i dont know wheter to beleive this or not and now im confused on what wattage psu i need >.<

Any help would be very grateful :)

You'll be fine with a 600W supply, as a matter of fact that should have plenty of room to spare. Not sure how you got that high a result. (Also I really owul reccomend not saving too heavily on the GPU, the 270x is SIGNIFICANTLY better)

Case: Meatbag, humanoid - APU: Human Brain version 1.53 (stock clock) - Storage: 100TB SND (Squishy Neuron Drive) - PSU: a combined 500W of Mitochondrial cells - Optical Drives: 2 Oculi, with corrective lenses.

Now my problem is everytime i go to a power calculator and it keeps saying 700,800w and i dont know wheter to beleive this or not and now im confused on what wattage psu i need >.<

Any help would be very grateful :)

Seriously what are you inputing in that power calculator?!

a good PSU >350 Watt should be fine.

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

500w~600w would be fine, go for a modular one and don't cheap out, seasonic and corsair power supplies are good. 

Twitter | Steam |

A 400W PSU is plenty for thise build, however more is better. I'd max get 600W before it get's inefficient, sos omething between 400-600W

who cares...

500-650w would be fine I would go for a 500 or a 550 if the price gap is small.

Take a look at Seasonic psu's or the higer end Corair's but in this price range a Seasonic is the best bang for buck.

A 400W PSU is plenty for thise build, however more is better.

not more is better.

better is better.

I'd rather get a higher quality 450 Watt PSU, then a lower quality 600 Watt PSU

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

500-650w would be fine I would go for a 500 or a 550 if the price gap is small.

Take a look at Seasonic psu's or the higer end Corair's but in this price range a Seasonic is the best bang for buck, because the cheaper corsairs have some issues.

not more is better.

better is better.

I'd rather get a higher quality 450 Watt PSU, then a lower quality 600 Watt PSU

True. Sorry that i forgot to mention that. ;)

who cares...

R7 260 uses about 200W at most based on the Anandtech review, so a 430W or 500W would probably do it.

While we can tell the average power draw from the basics, the only piece of hardware we can recognise is the graphics card :P The other stuff doesn't tell us much about your new computer. :D

Aragorn (WS): 250D | 6800k | 840 Pro 512GB | Intel 530 480GB  | Asus X99-M WS | 64GB DDR4 | Corsair HX720i | GTX 1070 | Corsair H115i | Philips BDM4350UC 43" 3840x2160 IPS

Gimli (server):  Node 304 | G4560 | ADATA XPG SX8000 128GB | 2x 5TB WD Red | ASROCK H270M-ITX/AC  | 8GB DDR4 | Seasonic 400FL

Omega (server):                 Fractal Arc Mini R2 | i3 4130 | 500GB Maxtor | 2TB WD Red : Raid 1 | 3TB Seagate Barracuda | 16GB RAM | Seasonic G-450w
Alpha (WS): 900D | 4770k | GTX 780  | 840 Pro 512GB  | GA-Z87X-OC | Corsair RM 850 | 24GB 2400mhz | Samsung S27B970D 2560x1440

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Seriously a good quality 450w psu like the Silverstone SFX unit or Seasonic G Series will be all you need for the build.

Thankyou all for your help I might do some more research on the specific parts i want :)

Okay I looked around and this is around what kind of build that I am looking to make and I'm trying to keep the whole cost at about $1000 and to last aslong to the next console generation (5+ years). Hopefully this build can handle 1080p gaming for that long aswell.

CPU: Intel i-5 4440
Graphic Card: AMD R9-270X
RAM: 8GB ???? Mhz Ram (Havent decided on a speed yet)
Motherboard: ASUS H81M-E Motherboard
Optical Drive: LG BH16NS40 16X BD-R Blu-ray Writer OEM
Case: Thermaltake Black Commander MS-II
HDD: Any 7200 RPM Drive
SSD: Samsung Evo 120GB (Boot Drive)
Wifi Card: TP-LINK TL-WN78ND
Plus 4 LED Fans

Recommendations for a PSU for this build again any help I am thankful :D

(Also what do you personally think of this build and is all of this compatible with each other, im new to pc building but I know a little bit, any help is awesome)

RAM speed won't matter much. 1333MHz or 1600MHz is fine. Anything higher and you'll probably be spending more and getting less for it. What matters more is how much RAM you have, and 8Gb is perfectly fine.

R9 270X will use around 280W and the i5 4440 has a typical 84W TDP. I would suggest a 500W or 550W PSU for that build. If you like, you could give us your rough location and budget and we could field some suggestions for quality PSUs,

Okay I looked around and this is around what kind of build that I am looking to make and I'm trying to keep the whole cost at about $1000 and to last aslong to the next console generation (5+ years). Hopefully this build can handle 1080p gaming for that long aswell.

CPU: Intel i-5 4440

Graphic Card: AMD R9-270X

RAM: 8GB ???? Mhz Ram (Havent decided on a speed yet)

Motherboard: ASUS H81M-E Motherboard

Optical Drive: LG BH16NS40 16X BD-R Blu-ray Writer OEM

Case: Thermaltake Black Commander MS-II

HDD: Any 7200 RPM Drive

SSD: Samsung Evo 120GB (Boot Drive)

Wifi Card: TP-LINK TL-WN78ND

Plus 4 LED Fans

Recommendations for a PSU for this build again any help I am thankful :D

(Also what do you personally think of this build and is all of this compatible with each other, im new to pc building but I know a little bit, any help is awesome)

1600MHz is fine for RAM, no point in going any faster and wasting money (: 

I'd say a good 500W will be enough for this. Corsair, Seasonic and EVGA are my personal preferences. 

RAM speed won't matter much. 1333MHz or 1600MHz is fine. Anything higher and you'll probably be spending more and getting less for it. What matters more is how much RAM you have, and 8Gb is perfectly fine.

R9 270X will use around 280W and the i5 4440 has a typical 84W TDP. I would suggest a 500W or 550W PSU for that build. If you like, you could give us your rough location and budget and we could field some suggestions for quality PSUs,

I am currently living in Melbourne, Australia if that helps.

I was looking at a corsair 

CX Series™ Modular CX600M ATX Power Supply — 600 Watt 80 PLUS® Bronze Certified Modular PSU

The CX600M is 80Plus Bronze, semi modular, with a 3 year warranty. It's a solid budget choice. The CX600M goes for $105 on PCCG and Mwave, and the CX500M is $89 on PCCG. I don't think your build will need 600W, so you could save by getting the 500W.

A good step up from the CXM series is the Seasonic G-Series if you're willing to spend a bit more for the better quality and efficiency. The 550W is $119 at Mwave and $129 at PCCG.

Those would be my recommendations. I'm not too familiar with Australian stores, so if you have a preferred retailer you could look around for these units and compare prices.