Iphone photo quality issues

I have photos taken on an iphone 11 and they look good on the phone but as soon as you transfer them anywhere they look terrible. I transferred the images at original resolution photos in the heic format to google photos for sharing. After that the images look super oversaturated and they honestly look as blurry and grainy as photos from the original motorola razr but the resolution is still the same. I downloaded some of them to my computer which converted them to jpeg and made the colors much more accurate to the real setting (even moreso than the original photo when viewed over the phone), but the images are now very low quality. The resolution is still the same but it just looks terrible. Is there a special way I need to work with these photos? I am not familiar with the heic file format so I assume that google photos was handling it differently then it should be. Should I just transfer over cable (not working on a mac)? Also, is it always going to loose qualty when moving to a different format or is there something specific I need to do to prevent it from looking super compressed?

How did you transfer them? I typically use iCloud or AirMore (third party app). Those provide the best methods of maintaining the detail. Also, if you take the photos using the wide angle lens, just know that at 12MP, it's really not enough detail for wide shots... these will always look soft on larger screens.

2 hours ago, johnt said:

How did you transfer them? I typically use iCloud or AirMore (third party app). Those provide the best methods of maintaining the detail.

I used google photos. I decided to just use a cable to transfer and work on the photo in photoshop. I thought the transfer and compression messed with the quality of the image but it actually turns out that it just looks terrible. I don't know what happened when the photo was taken but yeah it is bad. There was a light fog and I guess it didn't handle it very well. I just had to clean it up as much as possible in editing. But as for transferring I guess I will just avoid using google photos unless I stop shooting in the heic format.

You could change the "Camera Capture" to Most Compatible so that they're captured in JPEG/H.264 instead of HEIF/HEIC.

Although, quick Googling tells me that Google Photos should be compatible with HEIF ?

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |