AMD Introduces 2nd Generation Embedded R-Series APUs and CPUs

4960X

amd-new-apu.jpg

AMD today announced the 2nd generation AMD Embedded R-series accelerated processing unit (APU) and CPU family (previously codenamed "Bald Eagle") for embedded applications. The new solutions are targeted at gaming machines, medical imaging, digital signage, industrial control and automation (IC&A), communications and networking infrastructure that require industry-leading compute and graphics processing technology.

http://www.relaxedtech.com/news/2014/amd-introduces-2nd-generation-embedded-r-series-apus-and-cpus/

Hopefully this isn't 200$ for a few fps increase over the previous generation again

Hopefully this isn't 200$ for a few fps increase over the previous generation again

It probably will be.

Still no GDDR5 VRAM onboard. Not that gamers would be buying this anyway. 

CPU: i7 2600 @ 4.2GHz  COOLING: NZXT Kraken X31 RAM: 4x2GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1600MHz MOBO: Gigabyte Z68-UD3-XP GPU: XFX R9 280X Double Dissipation SSD #1: 120GB OCZ Vertex 2  SSD #2: 240GB Corsair Force 3 HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 600W CASE: NZXT H230
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz COOLING: Cooler Master Eclipse RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS2 @ 800MHz MOBO: XFX nForce 780i 3-Way SLi GPU: 2x ASUS GTX 560 DirectCU in SLi HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: TBA CASE: Antec 300

Still no GDDR5 VRAM onboard. Not that gamers would be buying this anyway. 

What in the hell, Are you high?

What in the hell, Are you high?

lel I probably phrased it wrong

Kaveri was meant to have a GPU that had GDDR5 VRAM available to it. And this one doesn't either.

CPU: i7 2600 @ 4.2GHz  COOLING: NZXT Kraken X31 RAM: 4x2GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1600MHz MOBO: Gigabyte Z68-UD3-XP GPU: XFX R9 280X Double Dissipation SSD #1: 120GB OCZ Vertex 2  SSD #2: 240GB Corsair Force 3 HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 600W CASE: NZXT H230
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz COOLING: Cooler Master Eclipse RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS2 @ 800MHz MOBO: XFX nForce 780i 3-Way SLi GPU: 2x ASUS GTX 560 DirectCU in SLi HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: TBA CASE: Antec 300

I take it AMD is no longer even trying to compete against Intel. 

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

lel I probably phrased it wrong

Kaveri was meant to have a GPU that had GDDR5 VRAM available to it. And this one doesn't either.

.................. GDDR5 is gpu ram. you can't run your pc off GDDR, the only way that would happen is if they soldered it to the motherboard. there no way they're going to do that.

AMD takes their time on the CPU side. at this point

.................. GDDR5 is gpu ram. you can't run your pc off GDDR, the only way that would happen is if they soldered it to the motherboard. there no way they're going to do that.

Well, most of the time I make posts that make no sense. lol I'm an idiot sometimes.

That is what they did on the PS4 as far as I know they have 8GB of GDDR5 in the PS4. The GPU and CPU share that pool. That was what I read.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

I believe what he meant was a cache of on die dedicated GDDR5 for the GPU to use in addition to system RAM, like a CPU does with it's on board cache.

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

....PS4

"Energy drinks don't make my mouth taste like yak buttholes like coffee does, so I'll stick with them." - Yoinkerman

What a ridiculous comment. Intel doesn't even compete against AMD in the embedded market.

....PS4

We aren't talking about the PS4. We're talking about a PC, where people like to swap memory from time to time. Can't do that with a soldered chip.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

What a ridiculous comment. Intel doesn't even compete against AMD in the embedded market.

At least Intel tries. AMD hasn't released a desktop grade CPU that gets even close to Intel's CPU's in years. All AMD has released is APU after APU and before that was the 8350 which wasn't anything special. If AMD managed to release a CPU that outperformed Intel's newest Haswell chips i would be very happy. I would buy it for one thing but it would also mean Intel would have to release something even better. Either that or I would like to see a different company besides Intel or AMD come out with a desktop CPU. Maybe Nvidia could so it but I think they would be in the same position as AMD is.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

Awesome cant wait!

(sneezes) "Sorry I'm allergic to bullshit"

We aren't talking about the PS4. We're talking about a PC, where people like to swap memory from time to time. Can't do that with a soldered chip.

Sure they can. If manufacturers start releasing motherboards with GDDR soldered on the board for use with the APU along with removable DDR for the CPU. 

You can have an APU rig with 8gb DDR3 system memory and say 2 or 4gb of GDDR5 just for the IGP. Sounds like a pretty strong system to me. 

Edit: Also, the PS4 is just a PC with proprietary components. 

"Energy drinks don't make my mouth taste like yak buttholes like coffee does, so I'll stick with them." - Yoinkerman

Sure they can. If manufacturers start releasing motherboards with GDDR soldered on the board for use with the APU along with removable DDR for the CPU. 

And if the memory goes bad? Need to replace the motherboard.

It's certainly possible to do this, but it's so inelegant that I can't imagine manufacturers jumping on board.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking