More Frames?

Skiitles56

I have a Ryzen 7 2700x with a 6600xt. Recently upgraded from a RX 590, a couple months ago. I've seen almost no performance increase. The main games I play are competitive shooters and I feel like I should get well over 100 frames but I barely hit that. And if I do they jump like crazy. I will post a picture of everything that my PC contains. Screenshot_20231219-164502.thumb.png.43b8cfb97484c0fc2d12e0e88e77de59.pngScreenshot_20231219-164450.thumb.png.029c7fb31ad75e3895f8fcfb82960e51.png

Competitive shooters and especially esports tend to be more CPU-heavy than GPU-heavy.

It's more likely that your performance is being held back by your CPU rather than your GPU.

What games are you playing, what settings, resolution, and refresh rate are you playing at, and what framerates are you getting?

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

@crunchy dragon low settings. Apex mostly just started playing the finals. Destiny 2 from time to time, warzone. Refresh rate is set to 165. 1080p resolution. I get around 90 to 100 consistently. At times it will jump to 165 but if it does it looks horrible.

5 minutes ago, Skiitles56 said:

@crunchy dragon low settings. Apex mostly just started playing the finals. Destiny 2 from time to time, warzone. Refresh rate is set to 165. 1080p resolution. I get around 90 to 100 consistently. At times it will jump to 165 but if it does it looks horrible.

On low settings, you really don't need much GPU. You need more CPU to feed the frames. You upgraded the wrong part for your situation.

3 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

On low settings, you really don't need much GPU. You need more CPU to feed the frames. You upgraded the wrong part for your situation.

Unfortunately it's a prebuilt system and I can't update the BIOS for a newer CPU.

1 minute ago, Skiitles56 said:

Unfortunately it's a prebuilt system and I can't update the BIOS for a newer CPU.

Why not? It's just an asrock board isn't it?

1 minute ago, Blue4130 said:

Why not? It's just an asrock board isn't it?

Supposedly it was made by ASRock for CyberPower. I looked on the ASRock website for the board and I couldn't find it. Went to cyberpowers website and the last update for my board was in 2020. Unless it doesn't matter as long as it's a am4.

2 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Competitive shooters and especially esports tend to be more CPU-heavy than GPU-heavy.

It's more likely that your performance is being held back by your CPU rather than your GPU.

What games are you playing, what settings, resolution, and refresh rate are you playing at, and what framerates are you getting?

Would better ram help. 

6 minutes ago, Skiitles56 said:

Would better ram help. 

Not likely. Your CPU is the limiting factor here, that's typically the culprit if you're playing at high refresh rates and not reaching them. You could try turning down the framerate cap to have a more smooth experience, but outside of hardware upgrades, there's not a lot you really can do.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

45 minutes ago, Skiitles56 said:

Would better ram help. 

Likely not. Open task manager or other monitoring software. I am sure that you will see that one or more of your CPU cores will be pegged at 100%. That will be your limiting factor. The only way around that is faster or more efficient cores.

Check with asrock, they may have a bios that works. Theoretically you can drop a 5800x3d in the board and get a giant uplift in performance.

Other posters have pointed out the obvious that your CPU is the weak link here, however, we can take a look and see what improvements we can make to your configuration

-eac_launcher_settings SettingsDX12.json
  • Disable SMT in the UEFI
  • Make sure D.O.C.P. (AMD's version of XMP) is enabled
13 hours ago, Skiitles56 said:

What does this mean? Are you getting 90 to 100 in both games? What settings? Please screen shot the in-game settings your using for these tests.

What does "it looks horrible mean?" please use a screenshot

Remember to post the FrameView csv files here.

Let us know what your FPS is after those changes.

There is approximately a 117% chance I edited my post.

Please refresh before you reply.

Did a post solve your issue?  Please mark it as the solution!