PS1 dev reveals via MVG (Youtube) he programmed a cheat code which allows CD-R game playback

viscous_cree

Summary

A PlayStation 1 dev recently revealed to the Youtuber Modern Vintage Gamer (MVG) that he and/or the team programmed a simple cheat code which basically enables the retail commercial release of Alien Resurrection (PS1) to act as a boot disk for playing backup CD-R games on stock hardware.   MVG tested a North American release and confirmed the cheat as a success.   Link provided below

Quotes

"This information has been provided directly from one of the developers who worked on the game, Martin Piper, and he's given me the all clear to talk about it.  Martin reached out to me after watching my video about Tony Hacks.  A softmod that involves a copy of Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2 and 3, and a save game exploit to unlock and boot backup CDs on a PlayStation 1 without requiring a modchip.  He reached out to me and said,  " If you have a copy of original Alien Resurrection, then all you need is the correct cheat code, and it will then wait for a disc swap and boot into any new disc.  "    What this means is essentially, that Alien Resurrection is a boot disk for playing backups"

- from title description
"Alien Resurrection on the Sony PlayStation PS1 has a secret cheat code that has never been discovered - until now. It enables you to play backup discs without any additional mod chip or soft mod. It doesn't even need a memory card. Let's take a closer look at what it does and how it works! Big thanks to Martin Piper."

6 minutes ago, thevictor390 said:

Time for the game to skyrocket on the used market.

For the novelty maybe, but it's far from the only way to make burned discs boot on a Playstation. Modchips and the GameShark CDX have been doing that for decades.

There's even an open source modchip that runs on a sub-$5 Atmel AVR microcontroller and doesn't trigger anti-modchip measures found in later games.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

Every copy at not an insane price in north america has been bought lmfao

1 hour ago, viscous_cree said:

Just checked eBay and there's already been 30 sold listings on the game (most of them disc only) all from today, the video launched 6 hours ago

edit: even on mercari is sold out now jeez

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

welcome to the jungle the unobtainable jungle. Oh well that's why I emulate lmao.

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

Would have been neat then and very interesting thing to find out.

But still PS1 emulation is on great level and you can skip the whole get a game and whatever part completely by sacrificing few games and just get older "fat" PS2, network expansion card, a HDD (original network expansion requires IDE HDD, but if you don't need network functions just get a clone one which are made just for adding SATA or IDE HDD into PS2, SATA SSD's may or may not work) and softmod the hell out of it.