Error while trying to use Plex with no internet.

Yua

Hey guys, I haven't had internet at my house for a couple of days, shitty ISP on shitty country.

I have an unraid server running a plex server. Settings-wise, I don't remember touching anything network-related inside plex.

It's running in host mode in Unraid, and I'm using an Nginx proxy to access it through my domain for remote access.

I tried accessing it using my server's IP and Plex's port and my profile loads, but when I click it, it only loads for a bit and then says it can't reach plex.tv.

I have turned off all online garbage stuff plex offers.

Am I missing a step in the configuration? It has been working fine while I have internet.

Qoute my reply if you want me to answer back. 

First, not everyone on here is a guy. 😛 Plex uses internet for authentication, just like your favorite games do. lol

Second, I had this issue when I first moved into my house and couldn't connect everything up right away. I used this guide to set it up with DLNA. I used VLC on my AppleTV client devices to be able to watch from my Windows 2022 Server that runs my Plex Server. It didn't show with the nice Plex GUI but I could access the files and play them until I got my network set up the right way. There is another method on that guide, but I couldn't get it to work and I just needed some temporary for the family to watch their media for a while so the VLC was enough for me.

As far as I know, guys can be used to describe a group of people in general.

Thanks for your input!

I'll definitely check the guide and see if I can find the settings I need on the files itself since I can't access the UI at all with the loading error I'm getting.

I found is pretty amusing, and annoying, to need a guide to make plex work without internet when it is a self-host centered product.

Qoute my reply if you want me to answer back. 

I know...it was super annoying that it needed internet authentication. A long time ago, I don't think Plex was that way and could just run locally.

Plex works as a streaming service, both online and locally, and some of its features (such as transcoding) require royalty from an online account; these are why Plex could not respond without Internet.

There are workarounds indeed, although Internet, or connection to The Movie DB, is still required for fetching metadata.

1. Use Jellyfin to arrange media. It requires Internet only when metadata needs to be updated, and it provides clients for TV, smartphones, etc.
  2. Use Tiny Media Manager to fetch metadata and store them for off-line use in Kodi.😃