Does Cat 6 carry telephone network?

Go to solution Solved by Eigenvektor,

Plugging an RJ-11 plug into an RJ-45 port could potentially damage the port. Try searching for adapters (RJ-11 to RJ-45). Otherwise, the average Cat 6 cable has a lot higher quality (i.e. shielding) than a phone is ever going to need. So that part will be fine.

At the end of the day, a cable is just a bunch of wires. The wires don't care what type of signal they carry. The primary difference is in how well shielded these wires are from interference. Your phone doesn't require a shielded cable, but it's not going to care if it is. The other way around would much more likely be an issue (e.g. try sending ≥1 Gbps through an unshielded cable).

I have Cat 6 wiring in all rooms of my house, but my router has an RJ-45 port for internet and an RJ-11 port for telephone. Since the router is in the bedroom, can I connect an RJ-11 cable from the router to the RJ-45 wall socket in the bedroom, linking it to the living room's RJ-45 socket? From there, could I use an RJ-11 cable to connect to my telephone? In essence, I'm wondering if my telephone will function properly if I use an RJ-45 cable in between of an RJ-11 cable in this setup or do i need any kind of adapter of specific cable for this if yes; Then where can i buy it?

Plugging an RJ-11 plug into an RJ-45 port could potentially damage the port. Try searching for adapters (RJ-11 to RJ-45). Otherwise, the average Cat 6 cable has a lot higher quality (i.e. shielding) than a phone is ever going to need. So that part will be fine.

At the end of the day, a cable is just a bunch of wires. The wires don't care what type of signal they carry. The primary difference is in how well shielded these wires are from interference. Your phone doesn't require a shielded cable, but it's not going to care if it is. The other way around would much more likely be an issue (e.g. try sending ≥1 Gbps through an unshielded cable).

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

1 hour ago, Eigenvektor said:

Shielded is only really necessary for longer cables, or when its running parallel to mains cabling/outdoor use, to counter the inductive current and RFI.  You can send 10Gbit over unshielded cable just fine, even CAT6a comes in the Unshielded Twisted Pair variety.  The key difference to what a cable can carry is the wire thickness and how many twists it uses.

But like you said, a phone can work with thin wire (CAT3) and even no twists at all (though ideally it should be as it will act as an antenna otherwise picking up RFI, but even lots of DSL cables are untwisted to save a few cents), the requirements go up as you pass faster and faster speed on ethernet though.  So a CAT3 cable designed for phones can have problems running 100Mbit ethernet, but a CAT6 is over-engineered for phones which if anything decreases the chance of noise on the line.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7