Kinda funny thing about decent power supplies

Anngela

For the longest while I was running a super sketchy power supply brand called "ackteck" that I haven't seen anywhere else but mexico and I didn't told any diffrence until it started to die on me recently, Today I bought a new corsair 750e and when I got the old power supply I was absolutely surpriced about the fact that the corsair one weighted about 3x times and had about triple the stuff inside lol, the old one was a 600w with no power ratingFuente de poder Acteck Integra Power-S Z600 de 600W de ATX. Acteck 600W ATX  24P SATA Z600 | Bodega Aurrera en línea

Don't ask about cable managmeant in my case btw since i'm going to change case pretty soon I just couldn't bother to cable manage 

<-- Moved to Power Supplies --> cuz you know.. Power Supplies.. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

10 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

<-- Moved to Power Supplies --> cuz you know.. Power Supplies.. 

srry my bad

51 minutes ago, Anngela said:

For the longest while I was running a super sketchy power supply brand called "ackteck" that I haven't seen anywhere else but mexico and I didn't told any diffrence until it started to die on me recently, Today I bought a new corsair 750e and when I got the old power supply I was absolutely surpriced about the fact that the corsair one weighted about 3x times and had about triple the stuff inside lol, the old one was a 600w with no power ratingFuente de poder Acteck Integra Power-S Z600 de 600W de ATX. Acteck 600W ATX  24P SATA Z600 | Bodega Aurrera en línea

You're a bit late on this observation, people in tech were judging PSUs based on weight 10-20 years ago.  Of course this didn't last long as the scam PSU manufacturers cottoned on and started to put weights in their PSUs to make them heavier.

But otherwise you're correct, a cheap PSU with the absolute minimum components will have a lot less in it, as they usually aren't actually designed to have the current output (less heatsink = less weight) written on the label and they don't bother with the safety features and meeting the ATX specification for ripple, etc.  Basically, all those extra components are necessary to give a clean, reliable, efficient and safe output.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

On 12/15/2023 at 9:22 PM, Alex Atkin UK said:

You're a bit late on this observation, people in tech were judging PSUs based on weight 10-20 years ago.  Of course this didn't last long as the scam PSU manufacturers cottoned on and started to put weights in their PSUs to make them heavier.

But otherwise you're correct, a cheap PSU with the absolute minimum components will have a lot less in it, as they usually aren't actually designed to have the current output (less heatsink = less weight) written on the label and they don't bother with the safety features and meeting the ATX specification for ripple, etc.  Basically, all those extra components are necessary to give a clean, reliable, efficient and safe output.

Its mostly because this is the second power supply I have ever owned since i NEVER tought much of them

On 12/15/2023 at 9:22 PM, Alex Atkin UK said:

Still being done.

https://www.pcgamer.com/this-disaster-of-a-psu-is-a-good-reminder-why-you-never-skimp-on-your-pcs-power-supply/

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

1 hour ago, Middcore said:

By "didn't last long" I was referring to being able to judge a PSU quality by its weight.

Of course the scammers continue to try to catch out unwary builders.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7