Do i need a HDMI Matrix?

HypeReemz

So for ages i wanted to get a HDMI Switcher that has 4/5 inputs and 2 outputs but could never find one, spent ages on amazon and just couldnt find what Im looking for. Basically I was looking for a way to plug all my consoles in to one system that goes to my TV and my monitor but not at the same time I could swap between them. So for example lets say i wanna play God of War on my PS5 but be comfy and play on my TV I could select that input and then select that output and then im gaming on my TV but then what if i need to talk to the boys at my desk but wanna play God of War still, well all id have to do is swap the output by pressing a remote or a button. I wanted this housed in a single unit and I thought a AV receiver would be the thing but I never found one so I settled on two HDMI Switchers, one that takes all 5 inputs and then takes that output into another switcher that basically takes that input and lets me choose which thing it goes to, either my TV or monitor.

Now today I learnt about HDMI Matrix and how they have like 8 inputs and 8 outputs and I found a few that had 4 inputs and 2 outputs and I was like okay cool closer to what I need but i delve deeper and you can have input 1 go to output 2 and input 2 go to output 1 and you EDIDs and ugh it was so confusing as f*ck.

Then I found this on amazon: THING

This looked like what I wanted and what i needed. Any suggestions or recomendations?

I dont really know what it is i am looking for or what is needed but I'm here for them

if your looking to also have a sound system a avr will do what you want (or just use it as your splitter). hell you can grab a cheap used one on market place.

It's probably not going to have 2 outputs though.

If you want to have 2 monitors and be able to put any of the sources on each of them then yes that's the solution.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

8 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

It's probably not going to have 2 outputs though.

If you want to have 2 monitors and be able to put any of the sources on each of them then yes that's the solution.

Was the top comment directed towards the AVR guy and the bottom one me?

34 minutes ago, circeseye said:

if your looking to also have a sound system a avr will do what you want (or just use it as your splitter). hell you can grab a cheap used one on market place.

I do not plan on adding a sound system, maybe a sound bar? but with that I can just go earc and connect the sound bar to the TV that way 😄

17 hours ago, HypeReemz said:

Was the top comment directed towards the AVR guy and the bottom one me?

Yup

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

On 12/14/2023 at 9:04 PM, HypeReemz said:

So for ages i wanted to get a HDMI Switcher that has 4/5 inputs and 2 outputs but could never find one, spent ages on amazon and just couldnt find what Im looking for. Basically I was looking for a way to plug all my consoles in to one system that goes to my TV and my monitor but not at the same time I could swap between them. So for example lets say i wanna play God of War on my PS5 but be comfy and play on my TV I could select that input and then select that output and then im gaming on my TV but then what if i need to talk to the boys at my desk but wanna play God of War still, well all id have to do is swap the output by pressing a remote or a button. I wanted this housed in a single unit and I thought a AV receiver would be the thing but I never found one so I settled on two HDMI Switchers, one that takes all 5 inputs and then takes that output into another switcher that basically takes that input and lets me choose which thing it goes to, either my TV or monitor.

Now today I learnt about HDMI Matrix and how they have like 8 inputs and 8 outputs and I found a few that had 4 inputs and 2 outputs and I was like okay cool closer to what I need but i delve deeper and you can have input 1 go to output 2 and input 2 go to output 1 and you EDIDs and ugh it was so confusing as f*ck.

Then I found this on amazon: THING

This looked like what I wanted and what i needed. Any suggestions or recomendations?

I dont really know what it is i am looking for or what is needed but I'm here for them

EDIDs don’t have to be confusing to a dummy (a joke pun, look up hdmi dummy edid emulators)

they won’t always work though due to specs differences in hdmi standard

hdmi (kvm) tech such as matrixes are like switches but multiple or “smart” (some can transcode, but that gets more complicated)

Tip: HDMI CEC (power control switching) built in to some more modern tvs and consoles…

But, unexpected problems can happen when multiple are on at the same time in some cases…