Advice for home cameras setup

Slepter

Hi everyone 👋

I recently started thinking about adding some cameras inside my house to make it more secure but I can't really decide what to buy given so many manufactures require you to have a subscription alongside with leaking your data here and there. I looked at Ubiquity (I think there was recently some video about them on LTT) but they are quite pricey. Is there any other reputable brand that worth using?

P.S. I'm really sorry in advance if that's something that's easily searchable in google, I already spend some time and I can't find 😢

For the most part security cameras are either:

cheap to buy, but have subscriptions or security concerns

or

more expensive to purchase up front, but without subscriptions, and often the control ability to self host and not send your data to shady places.

Synology makes some cameras for their NVRs and you can certainly search the forum or online for alternatives, but there is a reason ubuiquti has become popular, the ability to self host and no subscriptions.

Yeah, I totally understand that and I'm not asking for a great self-hosted setup for $100, but Ubiquiti's site says it'll cost me $3529.40 for 4 cameras and 1 doorbell, plus all the necessary stuff like switch, dream machine, etc.

I was looking at something I could squeeze into $1000 or $1500 at max 😔

15 minutes ago, Slepter said:

Yeah, I totally understand that and I'm not asking for a great self-hosted setup for $100, but Ubiquiti's site says it'll cost me $3529.40 for 4 cameras and 1 doorbell, plus all the necessary stuff like switch, dream machine, etc.

I was looking at something I could squeeze into $1000 or $1500 at max 😔

There is a holiday sale on Ubiquiti products from their website now, and if budget is an issue, don't buy everything all at once, you can slowly build the system over time.  So maybe you can setup a system that is a bit cheaper, and potentially add to it later.

Ubiqiti is a low cost option for the products offered, that is why it is so popular and in demand. 

You could get a bunch of cheap Dahua IP (or similar) cameras and use BlueIris or https://frigate.video/ and whatever networking gear you want, but then you have to be capable and have the time to set it up and maintain it.  From my shopping, it wasn't that cheaper either.

Dream machine Pro, NVR, 2x G5 Cameras, G4 Doorbell Pro = under $1000 USD now.  and you could get two more cameras for $250ish.

Oh, didn't know there's a sale right now, thanks, I'll have a look.