Different ways to set up a steam library on synology nas

Willie9240
Go to solution Solved by FredyBobJoe,
On 12/10/2023 at 2:43 PM, Middcore said:

"I want advice on how to replace the rear wheels of my Toyota Camry with snowcat treads for better handling in winter weather."
"That doesn't seem like a good idea."

"The negative comments can be kept silent." 

Don't know why I'm taking the time for this, but...

A Steam cache is when you download all of your game files to your local server so that when you want to install the games on to one of the other PC's on your local network you just copy them over from the server. The advantage of this is only have to download the games once, so it's nice for people with slow internet.

It sounds like you want to forego installing the games on your labtops laptops at all and think you can stream the files across the network when you want to play. That... is probably not practical. 

FWIW I have fairly successfully run steam games off of an iSCSI share before with few to no problems, this doesn't work great if you want multiple hosts accessing the game files but as a way to add storage to a computer it can work *fine*.

P.S.

If you give even a little bit of reasoning as to why you think something won't work it becomes infinitely more valuable and will be perceived as far less negative.

Hey I want to set up a steam cache on my synology nas and I wanted to know the best way to set it up.

i have a tower pc, ASUS gaming labtop and a hp labtop I want to access the games if that helps. 

I don't think this is practical. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

On 12/9/2023 at 2:26 PM, manikyath said:

steam cache or steam library? because those are vastly different things...

I want a steam library but now I’m curious what the steam cache worth it for me 

On 12/9/2023 at 2:53 PM, Middcore said:

I don't think this is practical. 

The negative comments can be kept silent 

20 minutes ago, Willie9240 said:

"I want advice on how to replace the rear wheels of my Toyota Camry with snowcat treads for better handling in winter weather."

20 minutes ago, Willie9240 said:

I want a steam library but now I’m curious what the steam cache worth it for me 

A Steam cache is when you download all of your game files to your local server so that when you want to install the games on to one of the other PC's on your local network you just copy them over from the server. The advantage of this is only have to download the games once, so it's nice for people with slow internet.

It sounds like you want to forego installing the games on your labtops laptops at all and think you can stream the files across the network when you want to play. That... is probably not practical. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

40 minutes ago, Willie9240 said:

putting your steam library on a network share *is* a very poor idea, because there's a lot of unexpected oddities with running software from a network share. essentially it can be assumed blindly that at least one of your games will have a showstopping issue with this setup.

besides that - if you dont want people's opinion, dont ask.

as for a steam cache.. the folks over at L1T have a decent guide to put that on synology, but it's very much not a "plug&play" thing:

https://forum.level1techs.com/t/host-lancache-docker-on-synology-without-port-mapping/166676

and apparently (as i found out by accident the other day..) steam actually has a LAN transfer mode that'll automatically pull game files from other machines on the local network.

https://help.steampowered.com/en/faqs/view/46BD-6BA8-B012-CE43

15 hours ago, manikyath said:

putting your steam library on a network share *is* a very poor idea, because there's a lot of unexpected oddities with running software from a network share. essentially it can be assumed blindly that at least one of your games will have a showstopping issue with this setup.

as for a steam cache.. the folks over at L1T have a decent guide to put that on synology, but it's very much not a "plug&play" thing:

https://forum.level1techs.com/t/host-lancache-docker-on-synology-without-port-mapping/166676

and apparently (as i found out by accident the other day..) steam actually has a LAN transfer mode that'll automatically pull game files from other machines on the local network.

Sorry my mistake that was sent to you by mistake. 

15 hours ago, manikyath said:

Thanks this is exactly what is needed, I just didn’t know it was called LAN transfer mode

On 12/10/2023 at 2:43 PM, Middcore said:

FWIW I have fairly successfully run steam games off of an iSCSI share before with few to no problems, this doesn't work great if you want multiple hosts accessing the game files but as a way to add storage to a computer it can work *fine*.

P.S.

If you give even a little bit of reasoning as to why you think something won't work it becomes infinitely more valuable and will be perceived as far less negative.