PC shuts off while hardcore gaming, requires PSU switch to recycle

alepouna
Go to solution Solved by iamdarkyoshi,

Sounds very much like you're tripping some over power protection in the PSU. The standby rail inside the power supply is usually a seperate circuit, and it's the one that just happens to run the RGB lights when the machine's in standby. The main part of the supply is seeing something it doesn't like, and it locks itself out from running until power is fully removed and re-applied.

There's two ways I would go about sorting or avoiding this issue. The first would be underclocking/undervolting your videocard, which is going to be the bulk of the power draw for your build. The second would be to find a used power supply on ebay or otherwise.

Corsair has a list of power supplies and what series cables they use, so you could try to find a "PSU only" for sale and upgrade to a higher wattage without even re-doing any of your cable runs. Here's links to their current and legacy cable charts:

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/s/psu-cable-compatibility

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/s/legacy-psu-cable-compatibility

Do not try to use another power supply with your existing cables unless it matches the type!

I managed to score two 1200w corsair supplies without cables for 30$ per unit and they're running great for me, but of course your mileage may vary when buying used.

Hi all, 

New to these forums. For the past few months I've had an issue with my computer where it could randomly shut down when doing hardcore simulation gaming. It would just completely poweroff but only my RAM RBG would remain on, to start my PC again after this, I need to use the power switch at the back of the PC.

Specifically, games like Derail Valley, Nucleares and Microsoft Flight Simulator. My initial assumption was that it's due to overheating, as according to "L-Connect 3" and AMDs Software (Adrenaline Edition) the CPU gets quite spicy even on idle. I will provide some temperatures further this thread. To mitigate these issues I've had both L-Connect command 100% fans on my 3 case fans and the AIO (models below) and also my GPU fans to 100% after reaching ~55C. This seems to have helped, and since doing this every time I boot, I didn't have any shuts down like this one.

Now comes the new problem, I got a VR headset (Quest 3) and I've been playing some games via SteamVR fine, but whenever I launch MSFS in VR, after 2 minutes of spawning in an aircraft, the PC shuts down again in the same fashion as always. I tried to replicate this issue, and it kept happening again and again, always around 2 minutes in the simulator. (For context, I run a pretty advanced aircraft [FlyByWire A32NX] and a few high quality mods so I suspect it puts a lot of load in the sim). I did another test, but I looked at the temperatures this time and L-Connect reported 86C with the GPU at 75C which makes me believe it isn't a power issue. 

I decided today to start searching around for this issue, I never did in the past because I thought it was just overheating and eventually was going to replace the AIO (or repair it), but now after some quick research I think this is a PSU issue? I don't know anymore, but I can't play MSFS in VR and its really saddening me as it was something I really wanted to try. Anyways, here's my specs: 

OS: Windows 11 Pro Insider Preview 64-bit (22H2 Build 23595.1001)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core 3.40Ghz

GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX 24GB GDDR6 Nitro+ Vapor-X

RAM: 4x Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro SL 32GB DDR4 RAM 3600 MT/s
MOBO: Gigabyte X570S Aero G (rev. 1.0) 

PSU: Corsair RM750x (750W)

AIO: Lian Li Galahad AIO UNI FAN SL Edition 360 (3x 120mm Fans) 

Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO

Case Fans: 3x Lian Li UNI Fan SL120 Case Fan

Also I have plugged in 3x WD HDDs, and 2x Samsung 980 Pro SSD 1TB M.2 NVMe.  

After more research, I have realized the GPU I have is min. 800Ws not 750W, which the original seller was advertising as. I now strongly suspect this is a PSU issue, tripping the OverCurrent protection, but I am not too sure. I don't have another PSU to test (I have a 550W which was replaced by the 750 when buying this PC...) and unfortunately I don't have the budget right now (blew it all on Quest 3 lol) to just buy a 1000W PSU and be fine for the forceable future. 

Any ideas how I can rule out a PSU issue or how I can prevent this from happening, would be extremely appreciated. 

To rule out or rule in the PSU, you can keep a timer of how long it takes.   Chances are it's similar in the same game from similar starting temperatures if it's anything to do with power or heat at all. 

To try to help it, you can try opening the case maybe. Perhaps more air into the PSU, or cooler air, can help it stay efficient.  Play on lower settings?  Set a script that alt tabs you every 20 mins to give your system a break? Try extra case fan/fans?

Sounds very much like you're tripping some over power protection in the PSU. The standby rail inside the power supply is usually a seperate circuit, and it's the one that just happens to run the RGB lights when the machine's in standby. The main part of the supply is seeing something it doesn't like, and it locks itself out from running until power is fully removed and re-applied.

There's two ways I would go about sorting or avoiding this issue. The first would be underclocking/undervolting your videocard, which is going to be the bulk of the power draw for your build. The second would be to find a used power supply on ebay or otherwise.

Corsair has a list of power supplies and what series cables they use, so you could try to find a "PSU only" for sale and upgrade to a higher wattage without even re-doing any of your cable runs. Here's links to their current and legacy cable charts:

Do not try to use another power supply with your existing cables unless it matches the type!

I managed to score two 1200w corsair supplies without cables for 30$ per unit and they're running great for me, but of course your mileage may vary when buying used.

27 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Just tried limiting the voltage by 5% on AMD Adrenaline and underclocking by 2% and on MSFS I haven't crashed yet, so I guess I am reaching the PSU limits.. Thanks for the links!