Building server with old gaming pc :)

Hi there!

I've recently decided to get going on a server project involving my old gaming pc. I was hoping for some advice into which direction to with it, if there is a 'software' that's more useful with my pc or just tips generally.

I have looked at some YouTube videos about DIY TrueNAS server, but would just like some feedback from others with experience before diving into the project 🙂 

My PC

Nvidia Asus GTX 1070 8GB

Intel Core i5-7500 <3.8GHz

CPUK Be Quiet Pure Rock Cooler

DDR4-2400 Crucial 8GB ram

MB1151 Asus B250M-A Prime

PSU Corsair TX550M 80+ Gold Modular

I was currently thinking of buying some hard drives, just need to find out how much storage I need. 

I also have a kit of 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3200MHz ram, that i might be able to switch if needed.

I would love to use the server as a storage for old documents, projects, pictures and maybe be able to host my own website?

All help appreciated,

Prestige 

2 minutes ago, PrestigeDK said:

I also have a kit of 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3200MHz ram, that i might be able to switch if needed.

I would love to use the server as a storage for old documents, projects, pictures and maybe be able to host my own website?

TrueNAS Scale is probably the best option for this, though if you are going to do this method you should have 32GB of RAM. With the way TrueNAS works, it loves RAM, with the general recommendation IIRC being 8GB plus 1GB for every TB of storage you have, all that before hosting a website or other services. 32GB is enough as long as you're not going to use a ton of drives. 

If you want to keep the 8GB sticks by itself, I'd probably try to get a different setup. You can still get it to work on TrueNAS, though going for a less RAM heavy storage config is a better plan. The easiest method for that is to just use Windows, though that's not really the most reliable method of running a server. Using Ubuntu Server is also an option, getting everything setup to work on this isn't too bad, though it's definitely a lot harder than Windows or TrueNAS and IMO should be a last resort. 

1 hour ago, RONOTHAN## said:

TrueNAS Scale is probably the best option for this, though if you are going to do this method you should have 32GB of RAM. With the way TrueNAS works, it loves RAM, with the general recommendation IIRC being 8GB plus 1GB for every TB of storage you have, all that before hosting a website or other services. 32GB is enough as long as you're not going to use a ton of drives. 

If you want to keep the 8GB sticks by itself, I'd probably try to get a different setup. You can still get it to work on TrueNAS, though going for a less RAM heavy storage config is a better plan. The easiest method for that is to just use Windows, though that's not really the most reliable method of running a server. Using Ubuntu Server is also an option, getting everything setup to work on this isn't too bad, though it's definitely a lot harder than Windows or TrueNAS and IMO should be a last resort. 

Thanks for the info, exactly what I was hoping for! I was probably also going to start with windows, then maybe something else down the line.