I got my parents iPad 10th gen for Christmas. Looking to make sure they'll have everything they need...

Invincible Sugar

Hello! I got my mom and dad each a 64 GB iPad 10th gen. Reviews for it have been harsh but I was able to get the two WiFi + Cellular iPads for just over $100 total, so any price or value issues in those reviews are moot. These are what I was able to get on the cheap, so I got them.

My parents are both in their 60's and will use these iPads for things like Facebook, YouTube, Reddit, email, messaging... etc. No gaming, Photoshop, nothing heavy. They will take full advantage of the 5G but we already have two unlimited tablet plans for a total of $10/mo taxes and fees included between mom and dad, we'll just move those existing plans over to the iPads.

My mom is very clumsy, so I got her this case. She's also, um. Not very bright in general. Love her but it's the truth. So I got her the blue iPad 10th gen, blue/black case, a blue charging USB C cable, so she will hopefully not get confused by her phone charger being the same kind of cable, but unable to charge the iPad. And she will hopefully not confuse the iPad with her existing Samsung A7 Lite, which is black, in black case, with black charger.

My dad is more together upstairs, so I got him this case. And this cable to go with it.

The iPads come with a charger (I think? I had to double take on that, iPhones dropped included chargers years ago but iPads still come with them?) so I don't need to buy that. Mom's case includes a screen protector, I need one for dad's though. Maybe this one?

Nether of them will use or care about an Apple Pencil. I can't think of anything else to get for them, but I wanted to double check here in case I am missing something. Does anyone have any perspective here for something I am not considering? Thank you!

I definitely prefer glass screen protectors over PET, but maybe they don't. Either way, I've had good experiences with Supershieldz.

The glass version

You could also consider this type of magnetic charging cable so they don't even have a chance to get confused by different cable types.

https://www.amazon.com/Magnetic-Charging-Rotating-Charger-Cord-Nylon/dp/B0CL9KG98L/ref=sr_1_4

@Invincible Sugar  On the software side, install Firefox because it has addon support and add

Privacy Badger.

It will help prevent trackers.  Do not use Firefox strict tracking protection as some sites like ebay have issues, so privacy badger will help with that.

Explain how to use Firefox's or at least safari's three line square button in the corner to make websites text bigger and remove ads and other distractions.  It makes poorly developed websites much faster to scroll and read.  It also helps prevent accidental taps on advertisements as there won't be any displayed.

Enable night shift with "more warm" default basically does nothing, not effective enough.  Set it to turn on at around 7:45 to 8:00 p.m.  It really can help reduce sleep onset delay caused by the bright blue spike in the LEDs in the screen.

If the screens use OLED, reduce brightness to about 25%, and wave your hand at the screen in o dim room.  If the motion is choppy and sharp, the display is using pulse width modulation to the visible degree, and can be fatiguing to the eyes whether actively noticed visually or not.  Quickly dart your eyes around the screen with low brightness.

If this is the case, to avoid eye fatigue, leave brightness at 100% but turn on the accessibility dark filter, to simulate lower brightness.

Enable battery aging reduction in settings to stop charging at 80% to prolong battery capacity per charge for a longer lasting battery.

Go to search in settings for the homescreen and disable stuff that isn't going to be searched on the device, like email or other items.

Go deep into ALL individual prograv items in settings and through multiple menu listings, find the option "learn from this" something, and disable the two settings there for all apps available, usually pre-installed apple apps.

Turn off background app refresh, to keep place in a background program and not change it, also saving battery.

Disable location services, and other unncessary permissions.  Explain the "do not track" permission options and their effectiveness, why tracking should be disabled.

Use inverted screen colors, or, inverted brightness, for use at night to reduce light from the screen and maintain normal sleep patterns, not interfered with from a bright white screen.

: JRE #1914 Siddarth Kara

How bad is e-waste?  Listen to that Joe Rogan episode.

"Now you get what you want, but do you want more?
- Bob Marley, Rastaman Vibration album 1976

Windows 11 will just force business to "recycle" "obscolete" hardware.  Microsoft definitely isn't bothered by this at all, and seems to want hardware produced just a few years ago to be considered obsolete.  They have also not shown any interest nor has any other company in a similar financial position, to help increase tech recycling whatsoever.  Windows 12 might be cloud-based and be a monthly or yearly fee.

Software suggestions

Just get f.lux [Link removed due to forum rules] so your screen isn't bright white at night, a golden orange in place of stark 6500K bluish white.

released in 2008 and still being improved.

Dark Reader addon for webpages.  Pick any color you want for both background and text (background and foreground page elements).  Enable the preview mode on desktop for Firefox and Chrome addon, by clicking the dark reader addon settings, Choose dev tools amd click preview mode.

NoScript or EFF's privacy badger addons can block many scripts and websites that would load and track you, possibly halving page load time!

F-droid is a place to install open-source software for android, Antennapod, RethinkDNS, Fennec which is Firefox with about:config, lots of performance and other changes available, mozilla KB has a huge database of what most of the settings do.  Most software in the repository only requires Android 5 and 6!

I recommend firewall apps (blocks apps) and dns filters (redirect all dns requests on android, to your choice of dns, even if overridden).  RethinkDNS is my pick and I set it to use pi-hole, installed inside Ubuntu/Debian, which is inside Virtualbox, until I go to a website, nothing at all connects to any other server.  I also use NextDNS.io to do the same when away from home wi-fi or even cellular!  I can even tether from cellular to any device sharing via wi-fi, and block anything with dns set to NextDNS, regardless if the device allows changing dns.  This style of network filtration is being overridden by software updates on some devices, forcing a backup dns provuder, such as google dns, when built in dns requests are not connecting.  Without a complete firewall setup, dns redirection itself is no longer always effective.

On 12/8/2023 at 8:49 AM, E-waste said:

@Invincible Sugar  On the software side, install Firefox because it has addon support and add

Privacy Badger.

It will help prevent trackers.  Do not use Firefox strict tracking protection as some sites like ebay have issues, so privacy badger will help with that.

Explain how to use Firefox's or at least safari's three line square button in the corner to make websites text bigger and remove ads and other distractions.  It makes poorly developed websites much faster to scroll and read.  It also helps prevent accidental taps on advertisements as there won't be any displayed.

Enable night shift with "more warm" default basically does nothing, not effective enough.  Set it to turn on at around 7:45 to 8:00 p.m.  It really can help reduce sleep onset delay caused by the bright blue spike in the LEDs in the screen.

If the screens use OLED, reduce brightness to about 25%, and wave your hand at the screen in o dim room.  If the motion is choppy and sharp, the display is using pulse width modulation to the visible degree, and can be fatiguing to the eyes whether actively noticed visually or not.  Quickly dart your eyes around the screen with low brightness.

If this is the case, to avoid eye fatigue, leave brightness at 100% but turn on the accessibility dark filter, to simulate lower brightness.

Enable battery aging reduction in settings to stop charging at 80% to prolong battery capacity per charge for a longer lasting battery.

Go to search in settings for the homescreen and disable stuff that isn't going to be searched on the device, like email or other items.

Go deep into ALL individual prograv items in settings and through multiple menu listings, find the option "learn from this" something, and disable the two settings there for all apps available, usually pre-installed apple apps.

Turn off background app refresh, to keep place in a background program and not change it, also saving battery.

Disable location services, and other unncessary permissions.  Explain the "do not track" permission options and their effectiveness, why tracking should be disabled.

Use inverted screen colors, or, inverted brightness, for use at night to reduce light from the screen and maintain normal sleep patterns, not interfered with from a bright white screen.

Oh wow this is all a ton of good advice! Thank you! I really appreciate all your ideas here and I'll do my best to implement these, I particularly like the battery saving and longevity steps.

For my phones I don't think about long term battery health, I always trade in every year or two because my carrier offers free upgrades... but these iPads will probably be used by my parents for many years until they break or become totally obsolete...