RAM Help

Go to solution Solved by Crunchy Dragon,

I buy most of my PC parts secondhand, haven't ran into many problems.

I would keep an eye on ECC vs non-ECC. Typically ECC RAM will work in non-ECC mode with motherboards and CPUs that don't support ECC, but that's not a guarantee.

At some point i plan on getting an i5 13600k and i was wondering if this is okay. before anyone says i only need 32gb at higher speeds i need the 64gb 100% because i plan on getting rid of some servers and just do MOST on my pc where gaming is a 2nd thought. Are the ram okay and would you lot reccomend 2nd hand ram? (Will save me alot of money)

Any help is well appreciated thanks!!

I would keep an eye on ECC vs non-ECC. Typically ECC RAM will work in non-ECC mode with motherboards and CPUs that don't support ECC, but that's not a guarantee.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

1 minute ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Typically ECC RAM will work in non-ECC mode with motherboards and CPUs that don't support ECC, but that's not a guarantee.

*Unbuffered ECC will work in non-ECC mode. If it's registered memory like the cheap ECC you'll find on eBay, it won't work on a consumer CPU. 

7 minutes ago, deadlou666 said:

would you lot reccomend 2nd hand ram?

2nd hand RAM is fine, pretty sure every single kit I have in my house right now is second hand to some degree, and they all work fine. 

8 minutes ago, deadlou666 said:

i plan on getting an i5 13600k and i was wondering if this is okay

That kit is registered memory, and therefore will not function with a 13600K. 

Unbuffered ecc dimms will usually work in normal motherboards even if they don't support ECC, but if you want the ecc memory to actually be used properly, you'd need the W680 chipset, like Asus W680-ACE or Supermicro X13SAE. Max memory capacity is 192GB (for DDR5) and registered is still not supported.

13 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Typically ECC RAM will work in non-ECC mode with motherboards and CPUs that don't support ECC, but that's not a guarantee.

Is that a thing with registered ecc ram?

12 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Unbuffered ECC will work in non-ECC mode. If it's registered memory like the cheap ECC you'll find on eBay, it won't work on a consumer CPU. 

Spoiler

Screenshot_20231128_133628.thumb.jpg.8038909771576c8c4fd5312d2a5946d7.jpg

why does this cursed listing work tho? cause thats very clearly registered ddr3 with the chip in the middle and the start of the part numbers on the rams being m393 (denotes registered ecc on samsung), not even on a xeon or a server board, though these are single  sided ecc sticks

id be interested to see if this might work with a particular bios revision if this guy managed to get it to work mainly to do some cursed ram ocs and hwbot subs =p

Unbuffered ecc should almost always work anyways on consumer platforms aside from the ecc itself but theres nothing special in that since its just a stick with an extra ram ic or 2 (if double sided)

21 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

why does this cursed listing work tho? cause thats very clearly registered ddr3 with the chip in the middle and the start of the part numbers on the rams being m393 (denotes registered ecc on samsung), not even on a xeon or a server board, though these are single  sided ecc sticks

id be interested to see if this might work with a particular bios revision if this guy managed to get it to work mainly to do some cursed ram ocs and hwbot subs =p

Based on my internet searching, I'm not yet convinced that it does work.

That may not be a server board, but Intel's HEDT platforms have always been very close to being server platforms, except for a few minor details in chipset features. Numerous X58 boards are reported to have BIOS updates that add ECC support, but no Core i7(that I'm aware of) has ever supported ECC, and the i7-975 in question certainly does not.

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Thanks for everyones help. I'll go look for some non ecc or u buffered ecc (this whole problem is I'm. Used to working with servers and just buying ecc buffered 😅

1 hour ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Yeah I've bought pretty much the whole pc 2nd hand apart from the storage and psu. Just didn't know if ram was an exception. Thanks

23 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Based on my internet searching, I'm not yet convinced that it does work.

That may not be a server board, but Intel's HEDT platforms have always been very close to being server platforms, except for a few minor details in chipset features. Numerous X58 boards are reported to have BIOS updates that add ECC support, but no Core i7(that I'm aware of) has ever supported ECC, and the i7-975 in question certainly does not.

Which x58 boards though and which bios revisions? Asus and any other board that forces an uncore memclk ratio like asus is out of the question, prefferaably an earlier giga x58 bios or whatever that doesnt break 1:1 uncore memclk cause bios ff breaks that on my giga x58a ud3r making high ram clock impossible to stabilize

Means that i might be able to use a xeon w for ecc support and still have a decent imc to oc the shit out of some ecc sticks

6 minutes ago, deadlou666 said:

Yeah I've bought pretty much the whole pc 2nd hand apart from the storage and psu. Just didn't know if ram was an exception. Thanks

To be fair, most of the time RAM isn't that much cheaper on the used market compared to just buying new that it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to buy used. Most of the kits I've gotten used were either high end offerings or bought in bulk, so there was a fair bit of headroom in the price and therefore made sense. For most consumer kits though, it doesn't make all that much sense. 

Just now, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Which x58 boards though and which bios revisions? Asus and any other board that forces an uncore memclk ratio like asus is out of the question, prefferaably an earlier giga x58 bios or whatever that doesnt break 1:1 uncore memclk cause bios ff breaks that on my giga x58a ud3r making high ram clock impossible to stabilize

Means that i might be able to use a xeon w for ecc support and still have a decent imc to oc the shit out of some ecc sticks

I know people have gotten 500GB+ of RAM to work on boards like the SR2. Most X58 boards AFAIK will work with registered memory if you have a Xeon installed. If your goal is RAM overclocking though, registered DIMMs do not go that far, so you might as well stick to unbuffered DIMMs unless you really need the capacity. 

8 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Gigabyte, Asus, and MSI seemed to be the main ones, but I wouldn't imagine uncore memclk ratios would be relevant in any way, if all you want is ECC support.

9 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Most X58 boards AFAIK will work with registered memory if you have a Xeon installed. If your goal is RAM overclocking though, registered DIMMs do not go that far, so you might as well stick to unbuffered DIMMs unless you really need the capacity. 

well i am interested in buying a couple w3520 or w3565

Im just interested in ecc rams mainly to do some absolutely cursed overclocks just for shits and giggles

I mean yea the imc itself will support ecc since its a xeon but im curious if the board is gonna be a limiter and i cant run those 2rx4 1rx4 whatever sticks that have a ton of ics on them and only the normal 1rx8 or 2rx8?

3 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Gigabyte, Asus, and MSI seemed to be the main ones, but I wouldn't imagine uncore memclk ratios would be relevant in any way, if all you want is ECC support.

The goal is to do some cursed overclocks and cursed hwbot subs

3000+ ddr3 on a nehalem with ecc registered sticks seems to be as cursed as it gets and i wanna sub that onto hwbot just for shits and giggles =p

Although if 2rx4 or 1rx4 is supported thatd make for even more cursed overclocks and maybe even high density but high performance daily sticks if they use 1gbit or 2gbit ics

11 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

I mean yea the imc itself will support ecc since its a xeon but im curious if the board is gonna be a limiter and i cant run those 2rx4 1rx4 whatever sticks that have a ton of ics on them and only the normal 1rx8 or 2rx8?

AFAIK there's no 2Rx4 restrictions in place. The main issue with getting those DIMMs to work is that the boards don't automatically downclock the memory when trying to run a ton of memory, so they'll likely fail memory training if you try running something like 6 4Rx4 DIMMs unless you have a god-tier memory controller. 

1 hour ago, RONOTHAN## said:

AFAIK there's no 2Rx4 restrictions in place. The main issue with getting those DIMMs to work is that the boards don't automatically downclock the memory when trying to run a ton of memory, so they'll likely fail memory training if you try running something like 6 4Rx4 DIMMs unless you have a god-tier memory controller.

Basically i can run straight up ecc rdimms and itll work? And even the 2x4 ones too?

so the board isnt the actual limiter?

Thats good news for the 2 oc shenanigans im planning which is the aformentioned ecc overclocking and the 300% ddr3 overclock which is essentially 1066 binned sticks clocked  to 3200, if i can find 800 binned eccc ddr3 that could become a 400% ddr3 oc, cause with consumer stuff im basically locked to finding garbage binned non hynix oem branded ram which would be a massive pain

Now i have another oc shenanigans i wanna try which is server registered ecc  ddr3 (1rx4 2rx4) which i figured i might need x79 for

Screenshot_20231208_071954.thumb.jpg.9286d6fce4cb7b9bb9e62b7825114e63.jpg

So this kinda ram will work as long as im using a xeon?

Im particularly interested in 1gbit d die or hynix 1gbit bfr/dfr sticks as those should be able to do some pretty high clocks