OC high-end 2013 system

Hello everyone

I want to overclock my system, but I'm completely new to this. I would be very grateful if you could help me

My system:
CPU - i7 4960x
Motherboard - Asus Rampage IV Extreme

RAM - DDR3 HyperX Beast 2400MHz 4x8Gb (HX324C11T3K4/32)

GPU - MSI RTX 2060 Super Armor OC

Cooler - DeepCool AK620

I looked at a couple of forum topics with my hardware on the Internet (there are not many of them) and applied the following parameters:

BCLK - 100

CPU - 44

Vcore - 1.24

VCCSA - 1.15

CPU PLL Voltage - 1.80

CPU Spread Spectrum - Disabled

PCI Spread Spectrum - Disabled

CPU C States- Disabled
Enhanced Intel SpeedStem Technology - Disabled
Intel Adaptive Thermal Monitor - Disabled
Execute Disable Bit - Disabled

Intel Virtualization Technology - Disabled 

DRAM Frequency - 2400MHz

DRAM Timings - 11-13-13-32-2

DRAM Voltage - 1.65

GPU Power Limit - 105%

GPU Core Clock - +100Mhz

GPU Memory Clock - +750Mhz

The system works stable and i felt an improve from the stock settings, but in some games there are freezes when changing scenes or lines of dialogue. For example Batman from TellTale Games, The Invincible. Fortnite lagging even on minimal settings (idk why).

I want to overclock my system even more, especially RAM, because a cant figure out how to run it stable with increased frequency or decreased timings

base.png

Focus on cpu oc for now and we can oc the rams and gpu later so for now just turn xmp off for the rams and revert gpu back to stock (save oc settings first tho)

Afaik x79/99 seems to see some beneifits to cpu oc (apparently lower vcore requirement) if you set bclk strap to 125 so id set bclk strap to 125

Vcore can be pushed as high as your cooling allows, for now set 1.35v vcore with llc off, can push this higher later on

Seems like ivy e is kinda shit at clocking so start at 4.37ghz with 35 multi, then try 4.5ghz with 36 multi and so on till unstable, its helpful to figure out what your max bclk with 125 strap is for overclcocking in smaller increments so id reccomend checking max bclk first by upping bclk by 1 increment, start at 128, once it stops posting drop it into decimals till you find the highest bclk thatll post, as an example 131.4bclk, then you subtract 0.5 from that so 130.9bclk just to ensure stability

As for trying even higher clocks with more volt when 1.35v isnt enough and say 4.6ghz with 36 multi at 127.8bclk wont be stable, you can raise your volt to whatever your cooling can handle be it 1.4v or 1.5v (llc off so itll probs droop by ~0.05v), if efficiency is a concern then try 1.3v 1.35v 1.4v and 1.5v then draw a curve to see where diminishing returns hits and run your chip at that point just before diminishing returns, if efficiency is not a concern you can fuck all that and run the highest volt your cooling can handle with the conditions of <1.35v can go up to 100c tjmax, <1.45v can go up to 85/90c, and >1.45v youll wanna keep under 80c due to degradation and voltage rollover (too high temp and the cpu wont clock higher with more volt) under prime95 smallest ffts or aida64 stresstest

Once you get past cpu oc and youve gotten a setting you are happy with you can move on to ram oc

This thread seems to have some pretty helpful info regarding volts cause unfortunately i only have real ddr3 oc experience with x58 and partial am3+ experience (yes have already passed the 3000 ddr3 mark atleast on x58), as for the rams themseves check thaiphoon burner and cpuz just to make sure of the ics, though i bet theyre hynixes anyways since all the high speed 8gb sticks use hynix 4gbit ics like mfr bfr afr etc. And all of them do 3000+ with ease, just a matter of the imc being able to keep up or not, think a universal setting thatd work for those hynixes would be 12-16-16 at 1.65-1.8v, wont need to push volt higher as thats pretty pointless (youd only need to push volt for real high freq or useless cl and i doubt youll get much over 2800 ddr3)

As for gpu oc just a matter of playing with sliders, have furmark in the background to check for artifacting and crashing, find the max gpu and vram oc without artifacting and lower by 10-20mhz for stability

And all of this is perfectly safe for the hardware btw as these are rather mild voltages were looking at

just be aware that particularly unstable ram or bclk oc can corrupt your os if you are particularly unlucky (it does happen but its quite rare) so id suggest using a diff windows install if possible, doesnt have to be a diff drive if you dont have one, you can just make a partition with diskpart or disk manager whatevers the name with your current drive like 50gb ish or so then you just install another windows on that partition, and once you are done you can simply delete that partition with your windows bootable usb (the one you use to actually install windows in the first place) and re integrate it into your main partition again

1 hour ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Focus on cpu oc for now and we can oc the rams and gpu later so for now just turn xmp off for the rams and revert gpu back to stock (save oc settings first tho)

Afaik x79/99 seems to see some beneifits to cpu oc (apparently lower vcore requirement) if you set bclk strap to 125 so id set bclk strap to 125

Vcore can be pushed as high as your cooling allows, for now set 1.35v vcore with llc off, can push this higher later on

Seems like ivy e is kinda shit at clocking so start at 4.37ghz with 35 multi, then try 4.5ghz with 36 multi and so on till unstable, its helpful to figure out what your max bclk with 125 strap is for overclcocking in smaller increments so id reccomend checking max bclk first by upping bclk by 1 increment, start at 128, once it stops posting drop it into decimals till you find the highest bclk thatll post, as an example 131.4bclk, then you subtract 0.5 from that so 130.9bclk just to ensure stability

As for trying even higher clocks with more volt when 1.35v isnt enough and say 4.6ghz with 36 multi at 127.8bclk wont be stable, you can raise your volt to whatever your cooling can handle be it 1.4v or 1.5v (llc off so itll probs droop by ~0.05v), if efficiency is a concern then try 1.3v 1.35v 1.4v and 1.5v then draw a curve to see where diminishing returns hits and run your chip at that point just before diminishing returns, if efficiency is not a concern you can fuck all that and run the highest volt your cooling can handle with the conditions of <1.35v can go up to 100c tjmax, <1.45v can go up to 85/90c, and >1.45v youll wanna keep under 80c due to degradation and voltage rollover (too high temp and the cpu wont clock higher with more volt) under prime95 smallest ffts or aida64 stresstest

Once you get past cpu oc and youve gotten a setting you are happy with you can move on to ram oc

This thread seems to have some pretty helpful info regarding volts cause unfortunately i only have real ddr3 oc experience with x58 and partial am3+ experience (yes have already passed the 3000 ddr3 mark atleast on x58), as for the rams themseves check thaiphoon burner and cpuz just to make sure of the ics, though i bet theyre hynixes anyways since all the high speed 8gb sticks use hynix 4gbit ics like mfr bfr afr etc. And all of them do 3000+ with ease, just a matter of the imc being able to keep up or not, think a universal setting thatd work for those hynixes would be 12-16-16 at 1.65-1.8v, wont need to push volt higher as thats pretty pointless (youd only need to push volt for real high freq or useless cl and i doubt youll get much over 2800 ddr3)

As for gpu oc just a matter of playing with sliders, have furmark in the background to check for artifacting and crashing, find the max gpu and vram oc without artifacting and lower by 10-20mhz for stability

And all of this is perfectly safe for the hardware btw as these are rather mild voltages were looking at

just be aware that particularly unstable ram or bclk oc can corrupt your os if you are particularly unlucky (it does happen but its quite rare) so id suggest using a diff windows install if possible, doesnt have to be a diff drive if you dont have one, you can just make a partition with diskpart or disk manager whatevers the name with your current drive like 50gb ish or so then you just install another windows on that partition, and once you are done you can simply delete that partition with your windows bootable usb (the one you use to actually install windows in the first place) and re integrate it into your main partition again

Thanks, i will try that.
There is only one problem, when I tried to achieve stable OC at 4.5, I used a voltage of 1.30-1.35, and it seemed to me that it was quite hot, about 85-95 degrees in stress test. And in idle 50-55

14 minutes ago, Beeswitt said:

Thanks, i will try that.
There is only one problem, when I tried to achieve stable OC at 4.5, I used a voltage of 1.30-1.35, and it seemed to me that it was quite hot, about 85-95 degrees in stress test. And in idle 50-55

For old school muscle, you need an old school cooler, or a top end AIO maybe. When I ran X58 I started with a TRUE, then D14, then H100. Le Grand Macho RT, and True Spirit 140 Power blew my old D14 out of the water, it had no chance. The last 2 coolers that I listed were rated for 320w, and 360w, and my X5690 was the only CPU that I had to get those coolers warm lol. AK620 is good for modern CPUs, but not so good for old school as you found out. You could try some iPPC fans, but really that will only get you 2-3c at 3000rpm.

Edit:

I still have all of my coolers except the D14, and my new coolers do better with modern CPU's. My H100 is dry, so that will never run again. Was a POS in the end anyways.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Frost Commander 140, TY-143
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

7 hours ago, Beeswitt said:

Thanks, i will try that.

What stress test in particular?

Prime95 smallest ffts does run hot so i wouldnt really be worried of hitting 100c on that

You wont be hitting those high temps in normal usage though and <1.35v should be fine up to tjmax so you are fine but if 4.5-4.6ghz is all you can do with that volt then id try 1.25v and see whats the max clock you can stabilize, if its 4.4ghz ish then id say dropping volt is worth it since you arent running in diminishing returns voltage

If the cpu wont clock for shit which seems to be the case with alot of ivy e cpus then focus on maxing other stuff out like the ram and the bclk to compensate, and it does seem like ivy e can clock rams decently high so try aiming for 2800-3200

6 hours ago, freeagent said:

For old school muscle, you need an old school cooler, or a top end AIO maybe. When I ran X58 I started with a TRUE, then D14, then H100. Le Grand Macho RT, and True Spirit 140 Power blew my old D14 out of the water, it had no chance. The last 2 coolers that I listed were rated for 320w, and 360w, and my X5690 was the only CPU that I had to get those coolers warm lol. AK620 is good for modern CPUs, but not so good for old school as you found out. You could try some iPPC fans, but really that will only get you 2-3c at 3000rpm.

Edit:

I still have all of my coolers except the D14, and my new coolers do better with modern CPU's. My H100 is dry, so that will never run again. Was a POS in the end anyways.

Whats the diff between old coolers and new coolers anyways? Cause i find it kinda surprising that a 6 pipe single tower beats a d14 and the much newer ak620, i mean the le grand macho makes sense cause that is a literal brick of a cooler =p

I currently have an old h212 evo which i lost the rear mounting for and an old xigmatek cooler that has an actually flat nickel plated base (one of those weird coolers with a wavy finstack) so i wonder if atleast the xigmatek is salvagable with some mounting as i can drop temps by around 7c if i push hard on the base of the cooler and it doesnt seem to be maxing out either as the pipes and finstack are barely warm, dont think there are any old coolers worth buying used around me

i mean i do only need a block for my ghetto loop and a nickel plated one from bykski is only ~20$ so i may just not bother with air for sheer cooling capacity but i kinda like that i can run some pretty high freq be it cpu or rams on air cause its funny to destroy mem freq records set with phase change or ln2 with a freaking air cooled cpu

Spoiler

IMG_20231205_031432.thumb.jpg.87d53dc28663697b2e284e0a099ac544.jpg

Though i am curious as to why this cheap china alseye cooler (iirc eddy90b it was called) can cool my x5650 somewhat decently being able to cool the thing at 4.3ghz 1.36v only maxing out around 92c under prime95 small/largeffts though ive detuned it to 3.96ghz at 1.3v as 4.3ghz is unstable now even though its fine under p95, seems to run around high 70s low 80s in this detuned state under f@h and p95 largeffts

Its a direct heatpipe cooler with no nickel plated flat base or anything like that, just exposed heatpipes on a flat base, and it definitely gets hot when i load the cpu so its definitely near maxed out

3 hours ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Whats the diff between old coolers and new coolers anyways?

The coldplate, and the way the heatpipes are made. I totally thought the D14 was all hype after using it. To be fair, I was using 2x 120x38 Panaflos in the TRUE. Ever since then I give Noctua a hard time. The X58 chipset ran over 10c warmer when I was using D14. Bah. Supposedly D14 is to be better than D15 when using D15 fans.

My old coolers that are awesome on old Intel 32nm, are woefully painful on 7nm AMD. A shadow of its former self. 12nm AMD was no problem though.. LGMRT ran 3600XT at 4500MHz 1.3375v with a Linpack load with no fan on the cooler. Thermodynamics seem a bit complicated 😄

3 hours ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Though i am curious as to why this cheap china alseye cooler (iirc eddy90b it was called) can cool my x5650 somewhat decently being able to cool the thing at 4.3ghz 1.36v only maxing out around 92c

1.35v on my x5690 was 200x21, and p95 load was low 60s.. 1.4v for 4400, 1.45v 4500, 1.5v 4600, 1.55v 4700 1.6v 4800. Only saw 5GHz in the bios lol.. dammit.

4 hours ago, freeagent said:

The coldplate, and the way the heatpipes are made. I totally thought the D14 was all hype after using it. To be fair, I was using 2x 120x38 Panaflos in the TRUE. Ever since then I give Noctua a hard time. The X58 chipset ran over 10c warmer when I was using D14. Bah. Supposedly D14 is to be better than D15 when using D15 fans.

My old coolers that are awesome on old Intel 32nm, are woefully painful on 7nm AMD. A shadow of its former self. 12nm AMD was no problem though.. LGMRT ran 3600XT at 4500MHz 1.3375v with a Linpack load with no fan on the cooler. Thermodynamics seem a bit complicated 😄

Basically its just a matter of luck to see which ones cool best for these older chips

Though im sure this 5 heatpipe wavy looking xigmatek is more than capable, just that ill need to buy some mounting hardware for it

4 hours ago, freeagent said:

1.35v on my x5690 was 200x21, and p95 load was low 60s.. 1.4v for 4400, 1.45v 4500, 1.5v 4600, 1.55v 4700 1.6v 4800. Only saw 5GHz in the bios lol.. dammit.

Curious as to what kinda temps you were seeing at 1.6v and also what cooler?

itd be interesting to build a properly oced x58 build with a 4.8ghz+ w xeon or i7 and some 3000+ ddr3 with all 3 channels but sadly still no good giga boards though a flaming blade may be an interesting board even if i have to pcie mod it or maybe even some other mods

5 hours ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Curious as to what kinda temps you were seeing at 1.6v and also what cooler?

Le Grand Macho RT.. pretty close to 90 after an R20 run.. with the window open dropping -30 air on it 😄

31 minutes ago, freeagent said:

Le Grand Macho RT.. pretty close to 90 after an R20 run.. with the window open dropping -30 air on it 😄

Im curious what the power consumption is like at that volt

i wish indo had more ppl selling used gulftown or xeon w with a buncha stock like the cheap x xeons so i could just visit the sellers place and bin them myself but oh well looks like itll just be good ol dumping money till i find a good chip

there are i7 975 though, theres 2 available to buy for 17$ which i can probs haggle down if i buy both, but i have my doubts on wether or not theyre decently binned and will do decent ocs, particularly rams cause both my i7s (930 and 950) kinda fall flat after 3000 and dont scale above 1.7v vtt, and im looking for a chip thatll clock my gdies even higher than 3100

A more interesting option that ive found are xeon w3520 as theres a guy selling 2 of em for 5$ each again probs haggleable cause noones buying nehalem quads and everyones buying westmere x xeons, but i wonder if theyll do any decent ram clocks cause i did some rather brief testing with both my i7 for max uncore at 1.7v vtt and the 950 topped out at 4100 iirc with the 930 being able to run ~4200, so maybe max uncore is important for max ram speed with 1:1 uncore memclk ratio, but i only have 2 samples here with another previous 950 that i sold off with a shuttle board and now i kinda wish that i could have checked the things max ram freq capability cause who knows if that could have been a golden chip that could do 4800 uncore or something

1 hour ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Im curious what the power consumption is like at that volt

Well.. 300w CPUs are not a new thing 😄

2 hours ago, freeagent said:

Well.. 300w CPUs are not a new thing 😄

Yea i guess id really need to go water if i wanna have any chance of cooling these kinds of volts, or outright skip to phase change but then id have to go out and mill a cpu block and buy a used ac unit

well i guess this would be something interesting to test when i get around to buying a waterblock for my ghetto loop and problably ditch the evap rad currently on it

Btw @Beeswitt made any progress with the oc shenanigans?

I only used 1.6v when it was cold out, the package did not appreciate the volts or amps lol..

On 12/4/2023 at 2:19 PM, Somerandomtechyboi said:

I am trying to overclock my CPU. It works with vcore 1.4, bclk 127.875 and multiplier 36 fine.
But i have 4 questions.

1 - any difference between making cpu strap to 125 and just setting bclk to 125? 
2 - my core temperatures looks good in OCCT stress test (around 77-81c). But my CPU package is at 87-90c. What i need to look at?

3 - can i lower idle temps? Or it is normal for CPU to be always on 4.6ish ghz even in idle? Idle temps is - package around 60, core around 45

4 - why i need to turn off the llc? Won't in help with stability?

upd - after 20 minutes of stress test, it crashed

2 hours ago, Beeswitt said:

I am trying to overclock my CPU. It works with vcore 1.4, bclk 127.875 and multiplier 36 fine.
But i have 4 questions.

1 - any difference between making cpu strap to 125 and just setting bclk to 125? 
2 - my core temperatures looks good in OCCT stress test (around 77-81c). But my CPU package is at 87-90c. What i need to look at?

3 - can i lower idle temps? Or it is normal for CPU to be always on 4.6ish ghz even in idle? Idle temps is - package around 60, core around 45

upd - after 20 minutes of stress test, it crashed

A stopped at 1.33 Vcore, 125 bclk and 36 multiplier, testing it out
But RAM, i have only option of 2333 and 2666, there is no multiplier for RAM. Managed to post with 2666 and RAM voltage 1.73. But it is not stable, windows crashing after 2-5 minutes of occt stability test

10 hours ago, Beeswitt said:

Strap 125 means the cpu and rams are running like its 125bclk but everything else stays at 100bclk, manually setting 127.875bclk does start ocing everything else like usual but that shouldnt be an issue when its like 102.3bclk for everything else, tbh id problably try for 131.5 bclk with 35 multi which should run everything else at 105.2bclk or 135.5 with 34 multi for 108.4bclk on everything else though i have my doubts on if 135bclk would work or not

Core temps, package can be ignored

Its fine, maybe enable c steps and eist mostly to save abit of idle power draw

Nope, basically 1.4v with llc drooping to 1.35v instead of max llc 1.35v is better, something to do with transients, basically if you set max llc with your load voltage on non llc like 1.35v itll crash even though with no llc when it droops from 1.4v to 1.35v it doesnt crash and runs just fine

8 hours ago, Beeswitt said:

But RAM, i have only option of 2333 and 2666, there is no multiplier for RAM. Managed to post with 2666 and RAM voltage 1.73. But it is not stable, windows crashing after 2-5 minutes of occt stability test

Send screenshots of thaiphoon burner, it is hitting 2666 so not some trash samsung 4gbit dies and likely hynix which is good news

Also send some screenshots of your bios settings, voltages and ram timings in particular

8 hours ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Strap 125 means the cpu and rams are running like its 125bclk but everything else stays at 100bclk, manually setting 127.875bclk does start ocing everything else like usual but that shouldnt be an issue when its like 102.3bclk for everything else, tbh id problably try for 131.5 bclk with 35 multi which should run everything else at 105.2bclk or 135.5 with 34 multi for 108.4bclk on everything else though i have my doubts on if 135bclk would work or not

Core temps, package can be ignored

Its fine, maybe enable c steps and eist mostly to save abit of idle power draw

Nope, basically 1.4v with llc drooping to 1.35v instead of max llc 1.35v is better, something to do with transients, basically if you set max llc with your load voltage on non llc like 1.35v itll crash even though with no llc when it droops from 1.4v to 1.35v it doesnt crash and runs just fine

Send screenshots of thaiphoon burner, it is hitting 2666 so not some trash samsung 4gbit dies and likely hynix which is good news

Also send some screenshots of your bios settings, voltages and ram timings in particular

I can change my cpu strap just in 100, 125 and 160, i cant manually choose cpu strap. But i can change bclk manually. 

About RAM. I think that i've tried everything to make it work. I tried to lower timings, increase DRAM voltage to 1.8, increase voltage of VTT and VCCSA. Tried literally everything to make it work at 2666 but it is not stable. Also tried 2333 but it just doesnt post.

I will send you my settings today or tomorrow

3 hours ago, Beeswitt said:

I can change my cpu strap just in 100, 125 and 160, i cant manually choose cpu strap. But i can change bclk manually. 

Welp itll auto set 125 so no worries there

Id personally try hitting even higher bclk on the 125 strap like 135.5 with 34 multi or 145 with 31 multi but if you dont wanna bother then you should be fine anyways, just abit of an extra boost for basically everything else, if you wanna have a go at it just save your current settings into a profile so you dont lose your known good oc settings

3 hours ago, Beeswitt said:

About RAM. I think that i've tried everything to make it work. I tried to lower timings, increase DRAM voltage to 1.8, increase voltage of VTT and VCCSA. Tried literally everything to make it work at 2666 but it is not stable. Also tried 2333 but it just doesnt post.

Yea cant just jam random timings and values as that usually doesnt work, youll need to know the ic and its capabilities, hynix 4gbit ics shouldnt really need much more than 1.65v at that speed for just cl11

Just send some pics of the bios settings esp timings + volts alongside a screenshot of thaiphoon burner and cpuz for identifying the ic (mainly to know which revision and to confirm theyre hynixes and not a diff manufacturer)