Decent HD camcorder for under 400$?

RainColt

I am looking to buy a ok camcorder at around 400$, It doesn't have to be something to film movies on just the best I can get for that price.

Also it must have audio inputs, built in microphones are completly useless to me. So Does Decent HD and has Aux input, I was thinking about the Canon HF R32 but I don't really know anything about Camcorders.

Why do you always die right after I fix you?

If you want to film, DON'T buy a camcorder. Get a DSLR to start. Camcorders are more designed for point-and-shoot.

If you're really a nooby noob and just want to jokearound and make Mr.Roger's playtime in your backtime, try out a Canon SX40HS. It's about $250, it works, has pretty good outside quality and decent indoor exposure.

I'd recommend saving a bit more and getting a Nikon D5100 or maybe a Canon T2i. They're older cameras but work WONDERS with swapped lenses(even with stocks). Nowadays, the bodies are MUCH cheaper.

Canon T2i usually around $500.

Nikon D5100 usually about $480.

Instead of using the incamera audio input, I'd recommend getting a field recorder or using an iPhone/iPod/iPad or MP3 recorder with a field recording app. They work JUST as well. I use a pretty decent shotgun mic I borrowed from an art studio connected to a laptop and sometimes a iPhone using a field recording app. (Can't remember the name). You need an adapter though.

Do your research!!

I'm just looking for something that films ok video (hell if my S2 was large enough to mount a shotgun mic on I would use that) my biggest issue is audio, on board audio for any of these cameras and camcorders sucks. example of one possible use, I lend it to my mother to film her trip to nova scotia she films a couple of sd cards worth and trys to show us but I can't watch it because it sounds like a barber's shop, clip clip clip clip clip, I am fine with looking at something that might be less than full hd but I can't listen to shitty audio. Maybe I want to make a youtube review, 720p is fine most people don't even watch above 480 because of there bandwith limitations so It honestly doesn't need to be much better than 480p. I will look at the D5100 and T2i and i suppose 3i but i am hell bent on audio input

Rule of thumb, you best just remove the on camera mic completely. It's pretty much useless. EVERYBODY who makes videos knows that. If you want it to be as professional as possible, get a field recorder. If you want to work with on camera mic, try putting some sort of filter over the mic port on the camera. Regardless of the camera, if you have maybe some sort of wind muff around it, you'll decrease the audio noise input dramatically.

If you're camera has an onboard noise reducer, use that too.

I don't remember what the name of the item I used was at first, but it was Styrofoam-like and black. Sticky on one end and a bit fluffy. It was cheap looking but if you place it around the mic well-enough, wind gets put down.

Another thing you could do is get a shotty mic and buy a mount for your future camera and place it on top of the camera. You can get a decent one for about $70 at your local instrument store. Maybe guitar center, musical world, or BHPhotoVideo.

Here's an example. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/518701-REG/Audio_Technica_PRO_24_CM_Pro_24CM_Stereo.html

It mounts on top of your camera. It won't be the most AMAZING microphone, But it'll be better than the onboard mic. MUCH better. especially for recording voice, filtering wind, and recording instruments.

I imagine that Diesel/Linus'/Slick's setup is something like a redone with a camera mounted shottymic. Notice how well it filters ambient noises at CES.

Also, if you want OKAY video, I'd say go for something around a Canon SX40HS. biggest downside is no manual adjustable lens and no mic input (which is kinda what you want). lol

Before the forum went down I thought about it and concluded that you were right and went out and grabbed a Canon T2i for 450$ and really it's kind of exactly what I need and more, also thanks for Mic suggestions I was actually thinking about the Pro 24 or the ATR6550.

Prior to finding the T2i on sale I bought the Canon SX50HS because it looked to fit all my criteria but there was no mic input and that was a deal breaker for me; don't get me wrong it's a cool little camera and the lcd screen is very flexible and I liked that alot although the viewfinder is very low resolution, when looking for a cheap mic to test if it did audio input through it's 2.5mm jack (come on it has a top mount, why shouldn't I assume this is for an external microphone that it is compatible with.) I found the T2i for 140$ off and after finding out the SX50HS had no mic input I returned it and got the T2i very happy with this purchase, it's a cool little camera

I am looking to buy a ok camcorder at around 400$' date='.[/quote']

GoPro Hero 3®

I am looking to buy a ok camcorder at around 400$' date='.[/quote']

GoPro Hero 3®

I'm sorry, but this is a truly rubbish suggestion. There's no viewfinder.

Current rig: i5 2500k & Gtx 560ti With Filco MJ1 TKL & Neutron Gtx 120gb SSD

I would advise getting a dslr by canon used, one that has 1080p recording. Attach a lens and you have a new camera, and a beast camcorder! If you ever want to upgrade, you can keep the current lenses and get a 5d MkII, which has been used to film parts of films. Truly amazing video quality.

Current rig: i5 2500k & Gtx 560ti With Filco MJ1 TKL & Neutron Gtx 120gb SSD

• 2 years later...

yes

Mobo-Gigabyte GA-Z97-HD3 LGA 1150   RAM-Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB Kit (4GBx2) GPU-GTX 960 Overclocked 4GB Windforce  Case-Sentey Gs-6008 Plus Stealth  Sorage-WD Black 1tb HDD + SanDisk SSD 250GB  PSU-Sentey 750w 80 Plus Bronze  Cooling-Corsair Hydro Series H60  CPU-Intel Core i5-4690K