PC powers off when playing a resource demanding game after a power outage.

sumega

Not so long ago, I got a new RTX 3060 Ti, and I had some problems with it. The computer would turn off at random points during gaming (not during less resource demanding tasks), and after the shutdown, the computer just refused to turn on again,. I had to unplug it from my surge protector, and then plug it back in for it to boot, for some strange reason. At first I thought the new GPU might be the problem since I had none of these problems with my old GTX 1060, so I ran some tests and it had zero problem running MSI Kombustor for long periods of time. It seemed fine, I even accidentally left a game open overnight without it turning off! But the issue persisted later on, only during gaming. I had exhausted all my options at that point by trying different fixes, until I just decided to reassemble the whole PC, and I decided to also try to remove any leftover static from the GPU and Motherboard, and that worked! But then something different started to happen.

Random blackouts are very common in my town, specially during summer (so right now) for some reason. Every single time I experienced one, the old problem I mentioned came back (PC shutting down during gaming), until it magically dissappeared the following day without me needing to do anything, until the next sudden outage. This time it was different, however. Whenever I experienced the issue there was no need for me to unplug the PC like I had to before, instead it just powers back on, as if it were simply restarting. If anybody has an idea I would love to provide any and all details about this.

I'm not sure if this is related at all or if it could be a hint, but one time after I blowed all the dust off of my PC, I got a message during the first boot saying I had installed a new CPU? No idea where that came from, but it could hint to a motherboard problem?

Specs:

Ryzen 5 5600x (stock cooler)

RTX 3060 Ti

ASRock B450M Steel Legend

x2 16gb 3200mhz RAM

1tb HDD

500gb M.2 SSD

700W-750W PSU (It's a very old power supply that I got from my brother but he doesn't remember the model, we're just sure it's 700 or 750 W)

I've mostly been testing with Warframe, Baldur's Gate 3, and Risk of Rain Returns.

The only game where the issue does not happen is Risk of Rain. I assume it's because it simply doesn't require nearly as much as the rest.

This smells like a power supply issue. If putting a load on the computer makes it die and not start without unplugging, that’s classic power supply tripping a protection circuit.

I also highly recommend you get at least a line conditioner if not a UPS to clean up the electricity going to your computer.

48 minutes ago, strat guy said:

Arr you running a UPS for the outages ?

Nope, I had a 500W UPS before that I could kind of use but it exceeded the load limit every now and then. Unusable with my 3060. Can't really afford a new one.

52 minutes ago, Whatisthis said:

This smells like a power supply issue. If putting a load on the computer makes it die and not start without unplugging, that’s classic power supply tripping a protection circuit.

I also highly recommend you get at least a line conditioner if not a UPS to clean up the electricity going to your computer.

I do have something like that, a surge protector as I said before. Is that good too?

Assuming I can't find a solution to this within the following weeks, would you recommend any specific PSU for my rig?

2 hours ago, sumega said:

I do have something like that, a surge protector as I said before. Is that good too?

Assuming I can't find a solution to this within the following weeks, would you recommend any specific PSU for my rig?

Consult this list: https://cultists.network/140/psu-tier-list/

anything in tier A-C is fine. The ones in gold are the ones recommended.