dual 1080p and 3070 . bottleneck ?

PSP.
Go to solution Solved by Darkseth,
1 hour ago, PSP. said:

playing Final fantacy XIV , easy upgrade to 3070 have almost 6 cards , but worth or bottleneck , worrying about bottleneck . seems will try

Let me try to clear that misunderstanding, that plagues too many for no Reason聽馃槈
Sorry if it's too long, i try to explain it as simple as i can, because it will be so much better once you understand this^^

- Bottlenecks can not harm you. And your Computer won't break. Don't worry. it is okay to have a Bottleneck. Because..

- You ALWAYS have a Bottleneck. Without one, you would have unlimited fps. Ever seen a PC that had unlimited fps? Me neither.

- Which part Bottlenecks depends NOT on the Hardware (which is why bottleneck calculators are the biggest waste of Storagespace on the Internet, they are made by people who lack even basic understanding about what a Bottleneck is and how it works), but which Software (Game) runs, and which Settings you use.
Example with your 5900X + 3070 combination (numbers made up for explaination):
Cyberpunk on 4k Ultra with Raytracing: Your GPU bottlenecks. because that resolution is so many Pixels, your GPU will sweat, struggle and cry itself to sleep. Your 5900X will be bored, beause it could push more fps. But the 3070 can't.
Cyberpunkt down to 720p Medium Settings without Raytracing: Pixels so low, 3070 could probably push 300 fps maybe? idk. However: The GPU can only calculate 300 fps, if the CPU is fast enough to deliver the data for it. CPU doesn't care if you play on 720p, 4k or 16k, it's the same data. But the CPU can only calculate enough data for 150 fps. --> CPU bottlenecks, beause it holds the GPU back. It could go to 300 fps, but delivers 150 because that's what the CPU delivers.
GPU has only 50% usage in this example, and is bottlenecked in this one single Game in these Settings. But is that a Problem? Your GPU is bottlenecked, but you have 150 fps. Is that not enough?

See it that way: 150 fps are way more than enough, and your GPU doesn't need to waste Power, stays cool and quiet. Win win.

As you See, Exact same Hardware, Same Game, but different Settings. Completely different Bottlenecks.

You have to know how these line works: First the CPU calculates all the data needed for a Frame. CPU gives this to the GPU, which renders the Image.

Imagine you and me are in a production line. I'm folding Paper planes (CPU), you color them afterwards (GPU).

I can fold maximum 100 per hour. You could color 300 per hour. You are bottlenecked by me. But if the Goal from the Boss (how much fps you expect) is only 80 Paper-planes, there's no issue, right?聽

TL;DR:
Do not think like "does x bottleneck y".

Think about which Settings you want to play with and how much fps you want at a minimum. And does your System deliver these fps?!

If the CPU is fast enough for your desired fps, it's all good. To find out of your CPU can: Change Resolution to lowest possible, disable Anti Aliasing to force a GPU Bottleneck. The fps you have here, is what your CPU can manage. Is that enough? If yes, your CPU is perfectly fine. If not, you need a new CPU. Simple as that. The GPU is irrelevant for this question here.

If your CPU does deliver enough fps for you, but your desired GPU could do even way more than that in this particular Game: Be happy your GPU doesn't need to go all out. Or give your GPU more to do. Increase Settings more, use DSR to render in a higher Resolution, use Raytracing, etc. There's many options.

As for FF14: My GTX 1080 had no issues with 1440p maxed out. Idk if i had 140 fps at all times, probably a bit lower in Raids, or Cities with many Players. At some point with enough Players, the CPU can bottleneck fast, or even the Game Engine itself.

I doubt you could hit clean 240 fps in every single Situation, but does it matter?

I'd probably just use Riva Tuner, cap the fps at 100, 120, 140 or something like that, and enjoy the Game with a mostly perfect consistent Frametimes.

Clean & perfect 120 fps at all times feels much better, than fps jumping between 140 and 200 up and down.

Just buy the GPU model you can and want to afford or find a great Deal and be happy. You'll probably play a different Game at some point. Or Change your Monitor to 1440p or 4k (trust me, edge flickering is insane on a 1080p Monitor, even 1440p on 24" doesn't look clean. ff14 does great on 4k).

Maybe consider 4000 series to have access to Frame Generation for future Games. Maybe even for FF14, as they are planning a technical Graphic Update with 7.0.

Hello
I have GPU's used for mining before聽
3070 ,聽
using dual 1080p 240hz , 60hz
Ryzen 9 5900x ,聽
will bottleneck for 3070 ?
worth to replace 3060 ?

I do not know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everyone

There will always be a bottleneck to a certain degree depending on the game. Under no circumstances should you downgrade your GPU in this case, you'll be fine.

Hello. The Ryzen 9 5900x will bottleneck the RTX 3070 by about 15% on 1080p. You may want to upgrade your cpu or downgrade your gpu.

11 hours ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

There will always be a bottleneck to a certain degree depending on the game. Under no circumstances should you downgrade your GPU in this case, you'll be fine.

so only 3060ti ?
using 3060 but i feel fps lower , playing FFXIV highest settings聽
so if I want upgrade max 3060ti ?

I do not know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everyone

3 minutes ago, ulookuglynoob said:

Hello. The Ryzen 9 5900x will bottleneck the RTX 3070 by about 15% on 1080p. You may want to upgrade your cpu or downgrade your gpu.

Please don't spread misinformation like this especially with useless % numbers from hack "bottleneck calculator" websites. We try to help people understand that's garbage around here, not promote it.聽

11 hours ago, ulookuglynoob said:

Hello. The Ryzen 9 5900x will bottleneck the RTX 3070 by about 15% on 1080p

so max 3060ti ? or 3060 ?

1 minute ago, PSP. said:

so max 3060ti ? or 3060 ?

Just play video games, you're worrying about something that doesn't exist.聽

Depending on what you are doing, the 3060 will range from similar to worse performance. There is no scenario where it will be an improvement. Use the better card.

>

11 hours ago, thevictor390 said:

Depending on what you are doing, the 3060 will range from similar to worse performance. There is no scenario where it will be an improvement. Use the better card.

playing Final fantacy XIV , easy upgrade to 3070 have almost 6 cards , but worth or bottleneck , worrying about bottleneck . seems will try

1 minute ago, PSP. said:

Why are you so worried? People get this idea somewhere that bottlenecks are the devil that will steal their computer or something. I don't know where it came from. Just use the better card. The worst, absolute worst thing that can happen is your performance stays the same. Which is unlikely. You'll see some improvement.

2 minutes ago, thevictor390 said:

I don't know where it came from.

I don't understand it either. 95% of people who complain about bottlenecks don't understand how it works in the first place as there is a bit of nuance to it.聽

If its an actual problem, we'll tell them but this.. this doesn't even register.聽

1 hour ago, PSP. said:

Let me try to clear that misunderstanding, that plagues too many for no Reason聽馃槈
Sorry if it's too long, i try to explain it as simple as i can, because it will be so much better once you understand this^^

- Bottlenecks can not harm you. And your Computer won't break. Don't worry. it is okay to have a Bottleneck. Because..

- You ALWAYS have a Bottleneck. Without one, you would have unlimited fps. Ever seen a PC that had unlimited fps? Me neither.

- Which part Bottlenecks depends NOT on the Hardware (which is why bottleneck calculators are the biggest waste of Storagespace on the Internet, they are made by people who lack even basic understanding about what a Bottleneck is and how it works), but which Software (Game) runs, and which Settings you use.
Example with your 5900X + 3070 combination (numbers made up for explaination):
Cyberpunk on 4k Ultra with Raytracing: Your GPU bottlenecks. because that resolution is so many Pixels, your GPU will sweat, struggle and cry itself to sleep. Your 5900X will be bored, beause it could push more fps. But the 3070 can't.
Cyberpunkt down to 720p Medium Settings without Raytracing: Pixels so low, 3070 could probably push 300 fps maybe? idk. However: The GPU can only calculate 300 fps, if the CPU is fast enough to deliver the data for it. CPU doesn't care if you play on 720p, 4k or 16k, it's the same data. But the CPU can only calculate enough data for 150 fps. --> CPU bottlenecks, beause it holds the GPU back. It could go to 300 fps, but delivers 150 because that's what the CPU delivers.
GPU has only 50% usage in this example, and is bottlenecked in this one single Game in these Settings. But is that a Problem? Your GPU is bottlenecked, but you have 150 fps. Is that not enough?

See it that way: 150 fps are way more than enough, and your GPU doesn't need to waste Power, stays cool and quiet. Win win.

As you See, Exact same Hardware, Same Game, but different Settings. Completely different Bottlenecks.

You have to know how these line works: First the CPU calculates all the data needed for a Frame. CPU gives this to the GPU, which renders the Image.

Imagine you and me are in a production line. I'm folding Paper planes (CPU), you color them afterwards (GPU).

I can fold maximum 100 per hour. You could color 300 per hour. You are bottlenecked by me. But if the Goal from the Boss (how much fps you expect) is only 80 Paper-planes, there's no issue, right?聽

TL;DR:
Do not think like "does x bottleneck y".

Think about which Settings you want to play with and how much fps you want at a minimum. And does your System deliver these fps?!

If the CPU is fast enough for your desired fps, it's all good. To find out of your CPU can: Change Resolution to lowest possible, disable Anti Aliasing to force a GPU Bottleneck. The fps you have here, is what your CPU can manage. Is that enough? If yes, your CPU is perfectly fine. If not, you need a new CPU. Simple as that. The GPU is irrelevant for this question here.

If your CPU does deliver enough fps for you, but your desired GPU could do even way more than that in this particular Game: Be happy your GPU doesn't need to go all out. Or give your GPU more to do. Increase Settings more, use DSR to render in a higher Resolution, use Raytracing, etc. There's many options.

As for FF14: My GTX 1080 had no issues with 1440p maxed out. Idk if i had 140 fps at all times, probably a bit lower in Raids, or Cities with many Players. At some point with enough Players, the CPU can bottleneck fast, or even the Game Engine itself.

I doubt you could hit clean 240 fps in every single Situation, but does it matter?

I'd probably just use Riva Tuner, cap the fps at 100, 120, 140 or something like that, and enjoy the Game with a mostly perfect consistent Frametimes.

Clean & perfect 120 fps at all times feels much better, than fps jumping between 140 and 200 up and down.

Just buy the GPU model you can and want to afford or find a great Deal and be happy. You'll probably play a different Game at some point. Or Change your Monitor to 1440p or 4k (trust me, edge flickering is insane on a 1080p Monitor, even 1440p on 24" doesn't look clean. ff14 does great on 4k).

Maybe consider 4000 series to have access to Frame Generation for future Games. Maybe even for FF14, as they are planning a technical Graphic Update with 7.0.