PowerMac G4 Sleeper

syntinel

My Mac G4 conversion project has reached a usable state and I wanted to share the progress so far.
For reference this Mac was donated to me back in 2012 as non working. The working components like the psu, hdds, and ram were donated to a working system. I fell in love with this case design when my best friends family purchased one back in 2005. Its just the perfect balance of utility and aesthetics.
I had to redesign a few panels and gut the interior for everything to flow/function well. The case has 2 60mm intake fans on the front mounted to a machined bracket, an 80mm fan mounted to the interior base to move air into the gpu, and an 120mm intake fan mounted on the side panel interior for additional air flow. The temps idle around 32-40c. The fans are all manually controlled via CoolerControl.
Its a simple build: Ryzen 5 3600, RX 580, 16Gb Ram but it runs well and stays cool. I run Ubuntu at the moment as its been very stable using proton. It took a year of planning and machining/fabricating but I already had the materials and components on hand so it didnt cost anything. Wood-grain forever!
Thanks for looking!
Syntinel~

Profile.jpg

Profile2.jpg

Well done. I'm impressed that you were able to utilize the fold open functionality of the case. I had a PowerMac G4 "Quicksilver" back in the day, the middle one in this image. Always liked those cases. 

power-mac-g4-hero1526412492837.JPG

6 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

Well done. I'm impressed that you were able to utilize the fold open functionality of the case. I had a PowerMac G4 "Quicksilver" back in the day, the middle one in this image. Always liked those cases. 

power-mac-g4-hero1526412492837.JPG

Thanks for taking a look! Yes the quicksilver and maybe the G3 variant are my favorites. The side panel worked out pretty good the difficult part was adding air flow as the case mostly passive cooled with a single case fan thrown in as an after-thought.