Should I upgrade to Windows 11?

smcw

For reference I have been running Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 1809 for the last few years and have been very happy with the stability of it. Almost a year ago I bought a 12th gen Intel Framework, and despite everyone's warnings I continued to use W10 1809. There were some issues with sleep mode/connected standby, but other than that it's been ok.

Am I really missing anything in Windows 11? I know I'll have to get used to it eventually. I was younger I loved to try the new OS right away, but these days I just like to get things done and not have the whole computer UI change or lag out on me randomly which is what I experienced for the day or so I tried Windows 11 when it first came out. Also, my limited experience with Windows 11 made be feel Microsoft was trying to shove random apps and junk down my throat. Honestly, I'd probably 2-3x the price of the regular Windows license for a no-annoying ads/junk version.

I really miss Windows 8.1, I feel it had the best mix of clean UI (once modded with the old start menu) and was super reliable and consistent on most hardware.

I always delayed moving to newer OSs but I'v been on 11 for some time now, I actually did something unusual and moved when it was still in the beta stages, I don't regret it, had no real issues with 11 to speak of...it took me years to move from 7 to 10.

19 minutes ago, smcw said:

For reference I have been running Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 1809 for the last few years and have been very happy with the stability of it. Almost a year ago I bought a 12th gen Intel Framework, and despite everyone's warnings I continued to use W10 1809. There were some issues with sleep mode/connected standby, but other than that it's been ok.

Am I really missing anything in Windows 11? I know I'll have to get used to it eventually. I was younger I loved to try the new OS right away, but these days I just like to get things done and not have the whole computer UI change or lag out on me randomly which is what I experienced for the day or so I tried Windows 11 when it first came out. Also, my limited experience with Windows 11 made be feel Microsoft was trying to shove random apps and junk down my throat. Honestly, I'd probably 2-3x the price of the regular Windows license for a no-annoying ads/junk version.

I really miss Windows 8.1, I feel it had the best mix of clean UI (once modded with the old start menu) and was super reliable and consistent on most hardware.

I hate Microsoft and what they've done with W11 as far as designing it to harvest as much valuable data about you as they can, while still wanting you to buy a key to use their OS. That said I do think W11 is a really good OS once you've tamed it, and stomped out as much of Microsoft's bullshit as you can.

I do recommend upgrading to W11, but I recommend doing so by using the tool Rufus to download the iso and create the install media, since it will present you with options to bypass a lot of MS's requirements, as well as easily allow you to create an offline local account, instead of utilizing a Microsoft account to make even more of your data available to them.

When it comes to installing and setting up 11, I strongly recommend following along with this one tech youtuber, Chris Titus Tech, with him making a really good video on the best way to install 11, with him being someone that previously worked for Microsoft for a pretty long time.

Another thing I've been doing on W10 & 11 installs for a pretty long time now is using this tool here to block and disable even more of Microsoft's $h!t that I don't want on my computer.

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠉⠛⠻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣦⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣤⣄⡀⠀⢻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠸⣿⣿⣿⠃⢰⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣼⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢶⣶⣶⣾⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣧⠀⢠⡀⠐⠀⠀⠀⠻⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡄⢸⣷⡄⠀⠣⣄⡀⠀⠉⠛⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⣿⣿⣦⠀⠹⣿⣷⣶⣦⣼⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣼⣿⣿⣿⣷⣄⣸⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⡿⢛⡙⢻⠛⣉⢻⣉⢈⣹⣿⣿⠟⣉⢻⡏⢛⠙⣉⢻⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣇⠻⠃⣾⠸⠟⣸⣿⠈⣿⣿⣿⡀⠴⠞⡇⣾⡄⣿⠘⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣟⠛⣃⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣷⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

i wouldn't upgrade until u have 2 dealing with bs win 11 crap atm granted on new system but still not pleasant

Personally, I would so NO, but that is just me. My spouse somehow got their laptop upgraded to W11 but it wasn't clear (to me) if this was a personal whoops clicked the wrong thing, or if MS just forced the upgrade. It has been NOTHING BUT A HEADACHE. WiFi is completely borked on the laptop, it WAS fine for a year on Windows 10, upgraded to Win 11, and now every time after waking up it needs to reboot for WiFi to work. It REPORTS it is working, but sees no available networks. I have tried multiple fixes to no avail and honestly I just don't care anymore, just reboot the damn thing and it (usually) works. If not at first, try a second reboot. 

The other new one, which was only discovered today, is that there are many HUNDREDS of Gigs worth of photos which appear to just be POOF GONE. Everything in Photos, desktop, documents, and a few others apparently are no longer stored locally, but sent to One-Drive, then deleted? I have only looked at the issue for about 2 minutes, and i have steam pouring out of my ears. What knuckle-dragging dickhead decided it would be a good idea to automatically force upload data to the cloud and delete the originals? Maybe I am talking out of my ass here and haven't figured out the issue yet, but with a cursory glance that appears to be the issue. Something I will need to look into when my spouse isn't actively using the laptop. 

Personally, I won't be moving to W11, not anytime soon. 

Gaming Rig - ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (stock), ND-D15 Chromax Black, MSI Gaming Gaming X Trio RTX 3070, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32Gig (2 x 16G) DDR4 3600 (stock), Phanteks Eclipse P500A, 5x Noctua NF-P14 redux-1500, Seasonic FOCUS PX-850, Samsung 870 QVO 2TB (boot), 2x XPG SX8200 Pro 2 TB NVMe (game libraries), 2x Seagate BarraCuda ST8000DM004 8TB (storage), 2x Dell (27") S2721DGF, 2x Asus (24") VP249QGR, Windows 10 Pro, SteelSeries Arctis 1 Wireless, Vive Pro 2, Valve Index

NAS /Plex Server - Supermicro SC826TQ-R800LPB (2U), X8DTN+, 2x E5620 (Stock), 72GB DDR3 ECC, 2x Samsung 860 EVO (500GB) (OS & Backup), 6x WD40EFRX (4TB) in RaidZ2, 2x WD 10TB white label (Easy Store shucks), 2x Q Series HDTS225XZSTA (256GB) ZIL & L2ARC mirrored, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS

Other Servers -2x Supermicro CSE-813M ABC-03 (1U), X9SCL, i3-2120 (stock), 8 Gigs DDR3, 4x Patriot Burst 120GB SSD (Raid10 OS array), Mushkin MKNSSDHL250GB-D8 NVMe (game drive), Ubuntu 20.04 LTS - RAID 10 failed after a power outage... dang.

To be clear, uploading files to the cloud in an auto-backup fashion is a FANTASTIC thing to do, if a user is fully informed as to what is happening, understands what is happening, and you give them the option to keep or purge the orignal files. When it gets to a point where there is so much data that one-drive then (appears) to start auto-purging some of it, THAT is a problem. 

Gaming Rig - ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (stock), ND-D15 Chromax Black, MSI Gaming Gaming X Trio RTX 3070, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32Gig (2 x 16G) DDR4 3600 (stock), Phanteks Eclipse P500A, 5x Noctua NF-P14 redux-1500, Seasonic FOCUS PX-850, Samsung 870 QVO 2TB (boot), 2x XPG SX8200 Pro 2 TB NVMe (game libraries), 2x Seagate BarraCuda ST8000DM004 8TB (storage), 2x Dell (27") S2721DGF, 2x Asus (24") VP249QGR, Windows 10 Pro, SteelSeries Arctis 1 Wireless, Vive Pro 2, Valve Index

NAS /Plex Server - Supermicro SC826TQ-R800LPB (2U), X8DTN+, 2x E5620 (Stock), 72GB DDR3 ECC, 2x Samsung 860 EVO (500GB) (OS & Backup), 6x WD40EFRX (4TB) in RaidZ2, 2x WD 10TB white label (Easy Store shucks), 2x Q Series HDTS225XZSTA (256GB) ZIL & L2ARC mirrored, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS

Other Servers -2x Supermicro CSE-813M ABC-03 (1U), X9SCL, i3-2120 (stock), 8 Gigs DDR3, 4x Patriot Burst 120GB SSD (Raid10 OS array), Mushkin MKNSSDHL250GB-D8 NVMe (game drive), Ubuntu 20.04 LTS - RAID 10 failed after a power outage... dang.

I upgraded my non-supported laptop and everything worked, there were some drivers i had to download from the manufacturer byt thw Windows 10 drivers worked fine.

I like it, now as i have got use to it my desktop and work computers running 10 feels old. There is some relearning to do and som tweaks to make but then it's good. Fast and stable. I am runnging 11 Pro 22h2 and i'm currently running it on 4G cellular as i also upgraded the cellular module due to the carriers shutting down 3G where i live, it just worked.