How to properly use an XLR microphone on a PC?

Hi P

I've read that XLR to USB cables lower quality, so I guess we discard USB, right?

But then... title 😄

6 minutes ago, Hi P said:

I've read that XLR to USB cables lower quality, so I guess we discard USB, right?

But then... title 😄

You need a proper audio interface. Start searching for XLR audio interfaces. Popular basic models like the Focusrite Scarlett Solo or Elgato Wave XLR. 

13 minutes ago, Hi P said:

But then... title 😄

I've personally used this audio interface and it's great: https://usa.yamaha.com/products/music_production/interfaces/ag_series/ag03.html

Hook things up, mix audio, adjust audio compressors. Very simple, and it's hardware controls which I personally prefer

If my post helped you please hit the "Solved" button below ✅

2 hours ago, Shimejii said:

XLR mic with a Ghost AMP. XLR plug goes into the MIC IN on the IO Panel and the other to the mic. Should work just fine then with some volume adjustment and quality adjustment in sound control panel.

Is that like a cable or like what other people describe as audio interfaces?

Matter of fact, is there any downside to using an XLR to 3.5mm cable?

2 hours ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

You need a proper audio interface. Start searching for XLR audio interfaces. Popular basic models like the Focusrite Scarlett Solo or Elgato Wave XLR. 

Also for @EphraimK@Jordaneer

So the XLR mic goes into that audio interface thing, then that thing is connected to the PC via USB?

6 hours ago, Hi P said:

Yes, quite a lot. The first is, the 3.5mm input of your computer is not balanced, so its a lot more prone to electrical interference.

The other main reasons depend on the type of microphone you want to use. For example, a microphone that needs phantom power won`t work at all, because phantom power on the PC is 5V and phantom power on XLR is 48V. There are also some other differences, but lets just say, it won`t work.

The other is, the impedances and volume levels just don`t match. It might work, if you have one of the louder dynamic microphones, but in all other cases, it will not be loud enough, noisy or not work at all.

I absolutely reccomend you get a good interface. With those, you even get a decent hedphone out. And if money is the problem, get one used... Just make sure its a USB model and not firewire.

7 hours ago, Hi P said:

Is that like a cable or like what other people describe as audio interfaces?

Also for @EphraimK@Jordaneer

So the XLR mic goes into that audio interface thing, then that thing is connected to the PC via USB?

For the AG03 you'd need this as well:

It's just an XLR to 1/4 audio jack adapter

Spoiler

61mLsjj352L._AC_SX679_.jpg

If my post helped you please hit the "Solved" button below ✅