Can someone explain the proper way to use an HDR enabled monitor that is NOT the Pro Display XDR on MacOS?

NickKz
Go to solution Solved by jaslion,
9 hours ago, NickKz said:

What specifically is Apple doing on their own screens though?

With every other display, turning on HDR makes SDR content look like crap, but on Apple’s screens they don’t seem to suffer from this same problem.  In fact their HDR enabled screens don’t even have a toggle, it’s just always on, and they are able to display both HDR content and SDR content side by side exactly as you would expect.  

Asus recommends that you only turn on HDR when actually viewing or editing HDR content, and even then, they suggest making the video full screen, as even simple video controls like the play and pause and timeline won’t look right — which seems kind of ridiculous IMO.

They have full data communication and strong processing in the screen to analyze what makes sense where. It's an extremely advanced display with basically an iphone 12? (not sure what chip it was) inside it doing all the controlling.

Asus has neither only display stream data instead of os aware data and such.

I have an Asus ProArt PA32UCK and it supports HDR, however I almost never enable HDR when I’m on a Mac, because…well, it looks like hot garbage, unless you’ve got full screen HDR graded content.

But the Pro Display XDR (as well as MacBook Pro screens that support HDR) doesn’t have this problem…so what are they doing differently?

Is there a way I can get my Asus ProArt monitor to work like a ProDisplay XDR works?

On Windows Microsoft at least has a brightness slider for SDR content when you turn on HDR as well as a HDR calibration tool…but I’m not sure how to get to the equivalent on Mac OS?

12 minutes ago, NickKz said:

But the Pro Display XDR (as well as MacBook Pro screens that support HDR) doesn’t have this problem…so what are they doing differently?

No deep mac os integration basically its why hdr on non apple stuff is half assed.

There used to be a github to unlock a lot of these features for all screens but it seems silent

22 hours ago, jaslion said:

No deep mac os integration basically its why hdr on non apple stuff is half assed.

There used to be a github to unlock a lot of these features for all screens but it seems silent

With every other display, turning on HDR makes SDR content look like crap, but on Apple’s screens they don’t seem to suffer from this same problem.  In fact their HDR enabled screens don’t even have a toggle, it’s just always on, and they are able to display both HDR content and SDR content side by side exactly as you would expect.  

Asus recommends that you only turn on HDR when actually viewing or editing HDR content, and even then, they suggest making the video full screen, as even simple video controls like the play and pause and timeline won’t look right — which seems kind of ridiculous IMO.

9 hours ago, NickKz said:

They have full data communication and strong processing in the screen to analyze what makes sense where. It's an extremely advanced display with basically an iphone 12? (not sure what chip it was) inside it doing all the controlling.

8 hours ago, jaslion said:

I think I understand it now.  They essentially created their own HDR display technology that they call “EDR” which requires that the display is one of theirs to work properly.

On Windows, laptop makers can get access to os APIs that allow them to essentially implement their own version, but even then, if you’re using an external monitor, it won’t work.  The brightness control will be locked out / on maximum and SDR content will look trash with HDR enabled.  As a workaround Microsoft gives an HDR calibration tool along with a SDR brightness slider, which still won’t look anywhere near as good as a display where the OS has complete control over it, and every dimming zone, and knows exactly how bright it can get, etc.

I guess Apple could also do what Microsoft does but then it would essentially mess with their existing and objectively superior tech.

6 minutes ago, NickKz said:

guess Apple could also do what Microsoft does but then it would essentially mess with their existing and objectively superior tech.

Not even that

I could mean their tech could be used OUTSIDE the ecosystem

Which is something they HATE because it means the user can use other equipment.

Its been their main bussiness strategy to build a locked down bubble they operate in and make everything work as seemless for the general consumer as possible and theyve done a pretty great job at that.

Its also why they fight tooth and nail to not open up their iphones/ipads for external software distribution as well as why when you want to install a non mac app store application its a huge pain in the butt. As this means they'd start having people open their ecosystem.

Their hdr tech is great. Amazing even and it will take a big move from other manufacturers to get a standard made that can compete

What I ended up doing was installing this app called "betterdisplay" and it allows you to do HDR brightness upscaling.  

Basically they use the same approach Microsoft does -- they give you a calibration tool and a brightness slider.

Tl;dr, I can basically make my Asus ProArt PA32UCX act like a Pro Display XDR...kind of.  You still don't get luminance management in the system color profiles.  But perhaps there is a way to get that, too, and I just haven't figured it out yet 🙂