W11 no 23H2 yet.... do I still get the security patches?

Lurking
Go to solution Solved by Lurking,

i figured it out and both my W11 PCs now have 23H2 installed. 

so, it works for my new rig (TPM), and also my old pre-TPM PC. 

I installed this enablement package. Apparently this is a known issue.

I have 2 W11 systems (22H2). One is in my signature and an approved W11 system. the other is a 6100-series CPU and based on the rufus mod to allow W11 installation. 

For both I don't have the "get the latest updates as soon as they're available" disabled since i wanted to wait a bit if those have issues, and don't need those new features. the pause updates is set to 1-week.

My understanding was, this would have installed 23H2 a week after release. But since that was end of October, this is now almost a month. Will that still show up on its own, or should I toggle the "get latest updates..."on to get the 23H2? For updates that are not security patches, I rather be conservatives and wait a while, which is why i put the 1-week pause on. 

But now i wonder if i still get security patches, or if those are held back until i allow 23H2? For my old 6100-system I'm a bit curious if it actually works. 

As far as i can see, i only seem to get MS Defender updates. not sure I'm missing out on security updates

Here my settings:

image.thumb.png.aad44948b18cc3142b5a79d23ff560b1.png

image.thumb.png.b547c50a5391228dde9deafb51974f62.png

Is 23H2 considered mature enough yet? 

AMD 9 7900 + Thermalright Peerless Assassin SE

Gigabyte B650m DS3H

2x16GB GSkill 60000 CL30

Samsung 980 Pro 2TB

Fractal Torrent Compact

Seasonic Focus Plus 550W Platinum

W11 Pro

According to Microsoft, Windows 11 22H2 will be supported until October of 2024: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-health/windows11-release-information

It's not uncommon for Microsoft to roll out big feature updates like 23H2 over a longer period of time than they roll out smaller updates. A month does seem a bit long, but I wouldn't be surprised if you just happened to be one of the last people to get offered the update.

19 minutes ago, YoungBlade said:

According to Microsoft, Windows 11 22H2 will be supported until October of 2024: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-health/windows11-release-information

It's not uncommon for Microsoft to roll out big feature updates like 23H2 over a longer period of time than they roll out smaller updates. A month does seem a bit long, but I wouldn't be surprised if you just happened to be one of the last people to get offered the update.

OK, i will just wait another month and see if my new rig (with official W11 support) will get it . and then see if my old (not officially supported) also gets it. 

why do they actually roll them out so differently? This seems to contradict their setting where one can pause it for a week (like i did). Is it for them to see if there are issues they don;'t want to have deployed it to all PCs at once? Or is it a bandwidth issue to spread out the download capacity? 

Gigabyte B650m DS3H

2x16GB GSkill 60000 CL30

Samsung 980 Pro 2TB

Fractal Torrent Compact

W11 Pro

1 minute ago, Lurking said:

Is it for them to see if there are issues they don;'t want to have deployed it to all PCs at once? Or is it a bandwidth issue to spread out the download capacity?

Primarily so they don't kill all PCs at once in case there's an unexpected issue. But spreading out bandwidth needs is likely a welcome side effect

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

1 minute ago, Lurking said:

OK, i will just wait another month and see if my new rig (with official W11 support) will get it . and then see if my old (not officially supported) also gets it. 

why do they actually roll them out so differently? This seems to contradict their setting where one can pause it for a week (like i did). Is it for them to see if there are issues they don;'t want to have deployed it to all PCs at once? Or is it a bandwidth issue to spread out the download capacity? 

Those two reasons are the most likely. By doing a roll out, instead of pushing the feature update to all PCs at once, it means that, if there are issues, they don't hit everyone at the same time. And it also helps Microsoft's servers, because they aren't having billions of downloads for a big update all at the same time.

4 minutes ago, Lurking said:

their setting where one can pause it for a week (like i did)

I had to take a look at that - and to me it is a bit confusingly laid out. In the state as shown in your earlier screenshot, you have no delay. If you wanted 1 week or more delay, you can press that button. Only then would it take effect, and it will be shown at the top of the window. "Check of Updates" will be replaced by "Resume Updates".

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

6 hours ago, porina said:

I had to take a look at that - and to me it is a bit confusingly laid out. In the state as shown in your earlier screenshot, you have no delay. If you wanted 1 week or more delay, you can press that button. Only then would it take effect, and it will be shown at the top of the window. "Check of Updates" will be replaced by "Resume Updates".

Just as an fyi, nothing I tried in settings was able to get it pulled down. 

The best way to force it I found was to grab an iso of the latest version and run the installer to complete the update that way. 

• 2 months later...

My New PC (specs in signature) still hasn't gotten the 23H2 update and by now i think it must be overdue by now. The version is shown as 22H2 and under product activation it says "activated"

i found this tutorial  to force the update. But already at step 1 my screen looks different and i don't have that "system reserved" partition. And I feel a bit uneasy to fiddle with this if i just make it up. 

Is it possible MS is still not ready to deploy it to everyone? Or is there something wrong I need to correct? I realize 2 months ago when I started this thread, I may just have been too impatient. But after 2 more months they should be done deploying updates, shouldn't they? There already is talk about 24H2. 

And yes, I've been restarting and manually checking updates a lot. i seem to get other updates:

image.thumb.png.f85042a144ec330862ab8f82c6205ce1.png

Gigabyte B650m DS3H

2x16GB GSkill 60000 CL30

Samsung 980 Pro 2TB

Fractal Torrent Compact

W11 Pro

i figured it out and both my W11 PCs now have 23H2 installed. 

so, it works for my new rig (TPM), and also my old pre-TPM PC. 

I installed this enablement package. Apparently this is a known issue.

Gigabyte B650m DS3H

2x16GB GSkill 60000 CL30

Samsung 980 Pro 2TB

Fractal Torrent Compact

W11 Pro